the favre play to cotchery

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ajetsfan4ever, Aug 24, 2008.

1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I completely disagree with that comment. If Chad tried to make that exact same throw it would've hung up and given the safety time to come over and either knock it down/pick it off or had the time to absolutely drill Cotchery as he waited for it.

The ball Favre threw was so perfect that safety had no play on the ball whatsover and Cotchery caught the ball without breaking stride.

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Very true. More so than that Cotchery ball, Favre's improvement over Pennington shows on that deep out camera-side to Brad Smith. Favre kinda stares him down, (which is OK when you've got a cannon) takes a few steps forward and then rifles the ball. Smith snags the pass, his momentum takes him back a few yards, and then he says to himself, "Hmm...? I haven't been tackled yet? What a foreign concept. Perhaps I'll turn around and gain five more yards. This must be that YAC I've been hearing so much about."

Now if that's a deep out to LC, just watch him YAC the shit outta that one. So optimistic about that tandem. It's like our secret weapon going into the season. Favre has looked excellent without our biggest weapon.

On a side note, that bomb to Cotchery really showed that he IS A DEEP THREAT. He is not just a Heinz Ward guy. He's gonna be catchin em over the shoulder all season, baby!

3. Ray

Ray New Member

And there you have it, the secret to YAC, which, by the way, the Packers lead the league in last year.

It's so great that Jet fans appreciate this kind of stuff.

#43 Ray, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Indeed, Cotchery is a lot faster than people give him credit for. In this pre-season alone, he was open deep a lot. You don't get open deep if you are slow.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think its route running more than blazing speed, but he will be the guy we root for this year.

I really do think he has a shot at the pro bowl, but with fan voting being as gay as it is - i can see him being a pro bowl alternate. Unless Jet fans get their guy in there.

6. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Right. I think you and I were probably reading the same things then, right, since GB basically had NO running game and was passing 3/4 their plays, they basically had to substitute the short passing game as a substitute for a running game, so they were kinda forced into that more than usual. McCarthy talked about doing that explicitly. So yeah, first half of last year was a very unusual situation. And of course in the prime of the Pack, when Favre had Chmura and Jackson, he loved dumping the ball to his TE and letting them plow through the defense. I think there were many plays they had 2 (maybe even 3 a couple times?) tight ends at once on the field.

7. Greencoloredglasses

Greencoloredglasses New Member

I liked Chad and all but it's really nice not having to hold your breath waiting for the ball to come down, wondering who will get to it first. Or who's gonna get killed. :wink:

8. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Zach & Puddnhead: I stand by what I say, Favre is the master of the short game and if thats what the D gives him he will murder you.
    Favre has that drive to win. Over 25% of his wins are comebacks; he would rather lose by 20 and take his chances than play safe and lose by 6.
    Packers were an 8-8 team without #4 last year. By the season's end you will trace 3-4 victories back to #4 at QB that you would not have otherwise.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Those are the 3-4 victories the Jets couldn't get with the other QBs. We needed that guy who can get us over the hump, and he's it.

10. jetgreen13

jetgreen13 Member

i'm fan of chad.

but he doesn't make that pass on his best day...

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I won't deny that Pennignton might have been able to make that throw, but I think there would have been more arc on it or it would have had a different trajectory.

12. qcjetsfan

qcjetsfan New Member

There's telepathy between the two. You can't buy that commodity.

13. #4kicksA$$

#4kicksA$$ New Member

I have watched Favre for all his years in GB,and remember most al the recievers he has thrown to. Jennings and Driver have always been my favorites. Cotchery really reminds me of Jennings and the link Brett had with Jennings seems to really be developing with Cotch. I will admit that came over to root for the Jets because of Brett,but the more I see this team the more excited I get. Barring injury to any key players,and depending on if LC and Brett can hit it off. I think this can be a 11 win team,definately above 500.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

LOL like thats gonna happen in a fanbase that thinks he's about as good as guys like Devery Henderson, Michael Clayton, and Berrian.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

But, But he's better than those three...

16. favre4mvp2008

favre4mvp2008 New Member

Jets fans will soon see that Brett can single handedly win games for a team. It doesn't matter who his WR's are, if the team can run the ball or not, if the line gives him time or not. None of it matters.

He's gone to the playoffs with Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder as his #1 and #2 WR's. He's won games with Taco Wallace playing WR. He's won games with Noah Herron, Tony Fisher, Najeh Davenport, and Samkon Gado as the featured back. He's won games with the worst defense in the league.

What's even more impressive to me than the 275 consecutive starts is the WINNING RECORD IN 16 out of 17 seasons. That is absolutely unheard of in the era of the salary cap, etc. Brett had one losing season in Green Bay since 1992. The guy wins football games. Ted Thompson is an arrogant SOB for not recognizing that and I have converted from Packers to Jets in the most absolute way. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Will you please stop? I'm already dying in anticipation of the opener. :up:

18. Grogan

Grogan Banned

Agreed, but like wise there will be 3-4 losses that will come from Favre's stupid plays in the most critical moments of games. The reality is that for all his talent, Favre is the single most overrated ESPN poster boy there is. If jet fans want reality, "which they don't", take a look at Packer playoff losses over the last 7 years and you'll see they lost and who's fault it was. Favre is more hype than reality.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

So if there are 3-4 wins due of Favre, and 3-4 losses due to Favre, then he has no impact on the wins at all???

The logic contradicts.

20. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

You sure about that? I seem to recall some experimenting with the shotgun back in 97 or 98.