Why Favre Won't Make Jets Fans Forget About Namath

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This is a such a great read from the New York Magazine...so true in many ways..I suggest you guys read it

2. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Not all that good an article, in my opinion.

I guess Leitch is writing for the casual fan / average NYer, because I don't think any diehards are thinking that Favre is the next Namath, will definitely lead the team to the SB or will be the larger-than-life character of Namath.

Most of what he is saying is just a regurgitation of the media perception of Favre coming to NY, the NY Jets organization, etc. with no real insight / commentary besides "not so fast, my friend."

3. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

Favre is Favre Namath is Namath. They are 2 completely different people in two completely different stages of their careers, in two different eras. Even if Brett Favre took the Jets to the Superbowl fans would never forget Namath plain and simple.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

It reads like an article written by a non-sports fan for other non-sports fans, so they have something to contribute to the conversation at the cocktail party when all the talk is about Favre and football (or to at least have enough info to roll their eyes when the fans are talking sports).

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Jet fans were looking to forget about Namath.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Steve Young didn't make 49er fans forget Joe Montana, so what exactly is the point? Favre isn't a big city boy - we get it. So what? Neither is Eli Manning, something that all of these "experts" seem to forget. And Tom Seaver led the Mets to a championship the same time Namath did, and he wasn't "Broadway Tom" either. These people should just give this crap a rest already - Favre's performance here will be based on what he does on the field, and nothing else.

7. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I tried to read through this article with little success. To begin with, the premise: "Why Favre Won't Make Jet Fans Forget About Joe Namath" is grossly flawed and essentially inane. Favre, even if he crushed Brady and the Patriots two years running in the playoffs on the way to winning two consecutive Super Bowls, wouldn't cause Jets fans to "forget" about Namath. If anything, the experience would help bring us back again to memories of those glorious and exciting days that Joe and the Jets generated in New York. This City love its heroes. Gehrig didn't "replace" Ruth, Dimaggio didn't replace Gehrig, Mantle didn't replace Dimaggio, and Murcer certainly didn't replace The Mick, but they all have a special place in the hearts of fans.

New York fans love gritty heroes who work hard and really care about both their performance and the game. New Yorkers seem to have a particular affinity for athletes like this who wear their hearts/emotions on their sleeves a la Munson, Paul O'Neil or Lou Pinella. Favre fits into this type of mold quite nicely.

Unless he flakes out because the experiment completely fails to work for one reason or another, Favre will be embraced and adored by the majority of Jets fans simply for the type of player he is and the enormous passion and excitement he brings with him every time he steps on the field.

8. jcord1786

jcord1786 New Member

Unless he leads us to a Superbowl, he will be NO joe namath.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Who is Joe Namath?

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Why would we ever have to forget Namath? Even if Favre came in and won 2 SBs the next 2 years Namath's place in Jets history will always be secure.

11. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

Exactly!!!!!

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Has to be one of the most pointless articles I have ever made the mistake of reading.

13. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I have no plans to forget Joe Willie.

It wouldn't suck to add more superbowl toys to the shelf though.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The title dooms the article right from the start. The title assumes:

A) That Jets fans want or need to forget about Joe Namath, for some ungodly reason.

B) That Favre could ever overshadow or replace the aura of what Joe Namath did as related to the NY Jets.

C) That we'd even give a shit about the comparison, which is apples and oranges.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

yeesh maybe i should have changed the title...but i went with what the guy had.

we all know namath wont ever be forgotten, i just thought it was a fun read.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The reason Favre won't make most Jets fans forget about Namath is most of the Jets fans who actually saw Namath play have no short term memory anymore.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That's absolute poppycock.

I can remember Namath playing like it was yesterday. It WAS yesterday, right?

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bahahahaha, winston some people don't get your humor but you're golden, man.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Absolutely brilliant, and definitely sig-worthy.

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Stupid title, that's for sure. No QB would make Jets fans forget about Joe Namath.