now what's our weakest link?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

With the signing of Favre solidifying our QB position, what do you guy's think is our achille's heal?
    The WR position looks pretty good, to me.
    LB'r depth-?
    CB-i think this might be it
    S-maybe

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Line depth. I think our starters have more than enough talent to be productive, but if anyone gets hurt we have a lot of unproven guys behind them.

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

DE Depth- we've got Mosely and that's about it. DeVito? I think not. I suppose that in a pinch we could always place Thomas @ DE but we're pretty thin in this area.

CB#2- still very much up in the air. Miller isn't really standing out in camp but Lowery is starting to make a name for himself. Starting @ CB should be "Any guy not named David Barrett."

LB Depth- we're really thin @ MLB but I feel that OLB is stacked somewhat better.

OL Depth- as I said a few weeks ago, this group leaves alot to be desired. Riddled with late round or undrafted players who have not distinguished themselves in any way, the thought of one of these guys stepping in for more than one play if we lose a starter is enough to keep you up at night.

Safety- Is Eric Smith the guy?

Positions where we are set:
    1) QB- Favre, Ratliff, Clemmens and Ainge- in that order
    2) RB/FB- you need more than one hand to count all of these guys.
    3) WR- Competent 1/2 guys and a bunch more bucking for #3 and beyond.
    4) TE- With Baker back on the squad, a combo of Keller, Baker, Franks and Posciak is good.

4. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

My answer is in my sig.

5. steviep

steviep Active Member

I was not impressed with the 1st team defense in the CLE game. I am well aware that it was the first pre season game -- but the LB core looked weak. I actually thought the DL looked good -- and KJ is huuuge. Will they get any pressure though on the QB.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

mosely is a tackle no?

7. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

He can play either. He's likely the third NT behind Jenkins and Pouha, as well as being the third DE behing Ellis and Coleman.

8. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

CB2, no question

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good post. I think the one single weakness is that CB spot. And you're spot on about Barrett. I HATE the guy. Anybody but Barrett, but Miller isn't doing squat to prove he owns the position either. I'm very concerned about the 2nd starting CB spot, especially since we've got to face Randy Moss twice.

10. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Spots that could be better going into this season.

I've been thinking of the places that are still somewhat weak and having a number of non-Jets fan friends who want to rain on the favre parade.

Being realistic though, we do still have some ositions that could hurt or limit the team. But why doesn't, right? This isn't a Madden fantasy draft.

OK so here goes:

Strong Safety: I like Eric Smith but he struggles in coverage. I don't think Elam is the greatest cover guy, but is probably better than Smith. If Elam can become a more sure tackler (like Smith is), I think he'll be a good enough starter.

Cornerback: Justin Miller is so fast but still gets beat in coverage a lot, Barrett is up and down, mostly down lately. Maybe Lowery will get some time there but rookie mistakes will occur whether we like it or not. Darrelle Revis is the best CB on the team but only in his second year and still has some to learn.

LOLB: If Bryan Thomas gives us another season like he did last year, Bowens will take the spot away. He needs to step up.

RDE? Not sure about Coleman, but I didn't get a great look last season.

WR: Totally happy with Cotchery, and I know Coles can still make plays, but I wish we had a tall guy. Can Brad Smith get it together, and what can Chansi Stuckey do when it's for real? It's probably close to the end of Coles' time as a #1.

RG/RT: I think guard is more of a concern here becuase we're just average at that spot. Moore's good enough to be our starter but that's about it. Woody was signed for a lot of money without extensive experience as a starting RT and definitely doesn't have a league-wide reputation as a dominator there. He could turn out to be average too and I don't want teams to start targeting the left side because they know we cant run right.

Again, this is just me summary of spots where we could be better. I'm not saying this means we won't be succcessful this season, because I think we will. Put it this way, if we got particular players at those spots, I think we'd be unstoppable.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Coleman had a silently good year last year.

83 tackles and 1.5 sacks as a 3-4 DE, not bad at all.

Jenkins should make him even better.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Bowens is now working as an ILB. Actually calling plays, he will be wearing a earpiece in the game.

13. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So is he ahead of Barton?

Are we looking at Pace, Harris, Bowens, Thomas?

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Biggest problem may be chemistry amongst the new players.

15. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Not sure, read about it in the Ledger yesterday.

If he is one of two defensive players calling plays, then I would say he is going to be a starter.

16. Ryan1234

Ryan1234 Banned

Our defense needs to get better and if anyone gets hurt were screwed

i know they say defense wins championship but i think this year itll be our offense

our defense needs to be very solid and our offense needs to be at its high point to bring home that super bowl rings

#16 Ryan1234, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Here is the article from nj.com....looks like I read it wrong, he will be at ILB, but not as the starter, but a backup?

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Amid all the quarterback talk on offense, the Jets have a new backup quarterback on defense, a move that was quietly made during the offseason.

David Bowens, a 10-year veteran, has been switched from outside linebacker to inside linebacker, where he'll often be calling the defense signals and be in the middle of the action.

"I like it. I like being the quarterback of the defense, having the ear piece in my helmet," said Bowens, referring to the new rule in which two defensive players can have communications with the sideline while on the field. "I just like being in control."

Bowens, 6-3 and 265 pounds, got his first taste of life inside the Jets' 3-4 scheme in Thursday's 24-20 victory over the Browns. He finished with five solo tackles in limited action.

"I had more tackles (against the Browns) than I did all season," joked Bowens. "Man, it's different in there."

Last season, Bowens, who signed as a free agent after 5 1/2 seasons in Miami, played sparingly early, mainly contributing on special teams. But once given an opportunity, he played well, finishing with 26 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks.

Bowens said he lost about 10 pounds and feels quicker. That'll bode well for him as most inside linebackers in the 3-4 weigh roughly 250 pounds.

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

We don't have a legit backup QB and that's a critical role. Favre has been an iron man but if he goes down we're back to the distinctly unimpressive Clemens or the unknown commodity of Ratliff.

Parcells made the mistake of not having a proper backup in 1999 and rates it as one of his greatest ever mistakes.

19. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

IMO, there is no glaring position of need. QB was it. Some positions may be weaker than others, but nothing jumps out as being much weaker than the rest.

Depth is a concern on all teams, so I don't view that as a viable answer.

20. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I personally think that the Jets are solid in all aspects. The only two areas I fear the jelling process is the wide receiver corp and the o-line. We have to keep Farve upright or we will be watching a QB add-libbing on every down because of happy feet and the fear of taking sack's.