Has Mike Tannenbaum become the best GM for the Jets this quickly?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by I bleed Jets Green, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Mikey T is doing the same WITHOUT strapping the team in cap hell (which Parcells is notorious for)

I was rather ho-hum about Favre move at first, but the more I look at it, I guess I can live with it. It's been quite a long while since we had someone that could get the ball downfield.

2. JetsLookingforDWare

I'm sorry...so the guy picking the good players isn't as important as the guy paying the good players? Can you tell me how thats...not valuable? And not exactly what a GM's job is?

ROTFL @ tard logic

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Uh huh.

So that 2006 playoff team...what have you done for me lately plays into ignoring that I'm guessing?

WTF is the thought process of the people who bash shit with absolutely nothing but "ZOMG 4-12" to back it up?

4. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I am still in Mangini and Tannenbaum's corner. For the most part, I like what they are doing. However, the purpose of a GM is to put a team together, not just to collect players. So far, since the team hasn't played a game, Tannenbaum has managed to collect an impressive list of players. Has he put a good team together...that remains to be seen...and that is his job.

That was my point. The offseason talent collecting is irrelevant until the product produces on the field. Let's see how the team performs before crowning Tannenbaum king of anything.

Despite the fact the a HOF QB fell into their laps, I think it was completely irresponsible of Tannenbaum to go into this season hoping that the most important position on the team would be filled by a 2nd year QB who has shown next-to-nothing and a former starter whose skill set had eroded due to injury. Sure there may not have been much out there, but it seemed like there was no effort made to find a quality starter.

And despite all the other moves, we are going into year three of the regime with big holes at CB#2, FS and lack of depth on the O-line and at WR. I don't expect things to happen overnight, and FA is a legitimate avenue to improve the team, but you would expect, given the amount of FA money the Jets have spent that there would be 22 quality starters on this team. That is not the case.

Again, the GM has improved the talent, I think he is on the right path, but let's see some Ws first.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

i dont care what happens, but the man brought brett freaking favre to the jets...yeah that makes him awesome

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

That's a fair point...I haven't been this freakin' excited about the team since opening day 1999.

7. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Slow down. The escalation of the salary cap in the past two seasons is unprecedented in the salary cap era of this or any other sport with a cap.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

I need you to explain the "given the amount of FA money the Jets spent that there would be 22 quality starters on this team."

Whole number of reasons...too high to list but think about it and its all obvious.

In the end all a GM can do is put the pieces on the table, it's up to the players and coaches to actually perform. This offseason was an A, and an NFL GM basically lives for the offseason.

9. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Well, you pointed out the difference in our viewpoints. I think the GM is responsible for building a team, you think a GM's solely responsible for collecting players.

I guess, in the end, I have trouble seeing what Tanennbaum's strategy is for building the team. I thought it was through the draft, but he seems willing to trade away draft picks. In FA he brought in a number of veterans. He didn't address the biggest need going into last offseason (DT) nor did he address the biggest need going into this offseason (QB) until Favre emerged in July.

I think I am being a little more negative on Tannenbaum than I actually think, but figured I would take the devil's advocate role for our debate.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Uh no...that would mean we're saying the same thing. To build a team you kind of need to collect players.

If you start a business do you stick to using only one way to improve it? It's possible to use the draft AND FA...we totally just did that. We've netted a starting LT, C, ILB, CB, one half of our running duo, and so on through the draft...and our starting NT, OLB, and G through FA. Crazy as that strategy may be, you should be worrying more about the caliber of players acquired and not for how much and from where...any pickups you don't like would be a reason he's not a good GM...not cause you're trying to hard to follow his logic.

And how did he not address the QB situation? The guy has drafted 2 QBs and signed several others here...how do you expect the QB situation to improve? Do you see starting caliber NFL QB's just available everyday?

That works...most others just shout 4-12 'til I'm done arguing.

11. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Just to reiterate, my initial point was not that Tannenbaum produced a 4-12 team, rather the team he has put together in the offseason hasn't even played a real game yet, so slow down on the accolades.

One last question, until last Wednesday night, how many starting caliber QBs were on the team...ZERO. Drafting a QB in the 6th round who was perceived as a poor man's Pennington, does not see like a good strategy for shoring up the QB position. At least take a look at some former starters or draft one in the earlier instead of trading up for a #3 TE.

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

AORN, He's a Paper Champion so Is Mangenius and anyone else you wanna make into "The Best XX"

13. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

No he is not! what we have actualy done? the only positive thing these two have accomplished is solid mid round draft picks..they havent actualy done any better than we have during the Herm Edwards era... playoff year losing year thats it.. best gm. not even close... one desperate move in siging a 39 year old qb who didnt want to come here doesnt qualify him as the best gm... lets win something first, or atleast be exciting... spend alot of money gm, thats him.. have no loyalty, thats him.. lie to players about contract each year hes been here. yes thats him... best gm. NO

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It does not matter if a team is strapped by the cap if they have no holes left to fill.

15. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Tannebaum has done an amazing job he got the right player for this team and kept us under the cap. Plus we have a lot of youth on this team. Lets hope it works.

16. JetsLookingforDWare

Few things:

- 2. Most teams are lucky if they know who their QB is. Pennington and Clemens can both be successful NFL QBs, and NFL actually has been one when given a good team (like now).

- Why are you complaining about a move not happening soon enough? What details do we really have that could make that legit?

- 5th round. And being compared to a poor man's Pennington does not make it fact. Would you take the comparison seriously if someone said he reminded them of a young Brady?

- What other starting quality QB's should we have went after earlier? What would you be willing to give up? How do you know we explored but those doors we thought were open were shut?

- So the fact that he got Brett Favre actually is outweighed by the fact that he got Brett Favre in August?

Tanny's a good GM when you look at the big picture and not minor things that are pretty flimsy once you write it out.

Big picture we have a guy who's been a GM for just a little over 3 years and he's done the following:

- Taken us out of cap hell.

- Made us younger.

- Drafted better.

- Been aggressive in FA once we had money to spend.

- Works extremely well with our HC and owners, and knows the ins and outs of the organization because of 10+ years of service.

- Is well liked and respected by players, media, and coaches by all accounts.

- Gotten rid of problems instead of giving into them.

Edit: Yes, I realize I'm an extremist. I think too many of the knocks against Tannenbaum are pretty flimsy. But I do agree that he can't be crowned the best. He's on his way if we stick with him IMO, but I do realize that a guy who hasn't won the Super Bowl by year 3 is someone we should worry about.

#36 JetsLookingforDWare, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm not going to even think about calling him the best until I see a strong playoff showing, or consecutive playoff appearances.

18. Orlando J-E-T-S fan

Orlando J-E-T-S fan New Member

i think we should wait to the end of the season to find out how great the off-season moves really are....

19. The GM

The GM New Member

You can't say anything about him yet. Wait until after this season, then you can say how he did. Also, he picked up some older vets (Kris Jenkins, Alan Faneca, Brett Favre) so there will be some big holes to fill in a few years, but in terms of acquiring talent for this season he has done a nice job.

20. The GM

The GM New Member

Kind of reminds me of a Madden GM...signing a bunch of good FAs and making some big name trades.