V. Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by since83, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Pats fan, Troll, Worthless asshole.

All new screen names you can choose from free of charge. Just give up the act now.

2. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

1st Action ever in a NFL game , Give the kid a break and some time to learn.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Gholston is going to be a bit of a project. They're bringing him along slowly and that's the best for him. He hasn't had to cover before so he's learning that now in camp and preseason. I don't expect to see him on the field much before week 8, just let him get some spot playing time and focus on his coverage skills in practice a little more and he should come along nicely.

4. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

yea give ghostoln some time he will be a good player, the workout warrior

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He looked great coming off the edge. His strongest point. He needs to learn coverages and he'll be fine. He was out of position, and he's slow off the snap. Once the playbook is known outright, he'll be fine. His pressure on offenses will be all we ask for this year.

His zone coverage is his weakness. Fix that - he's what is supposed to be.

6. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

It would be unfair to call him a bust until week three.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

He wasn't drafted 6th to play in coverage. Relax.

8. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

For me, the real issue in this game for Gholston wasn't how much he proves he doesn't know yet, but the fact that he forced two (2) holding penalties rushing the passer by OLs who couldn't stop him otherwise.

Not bad.

9. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

big step from ohio state to nfl.. the speed alone during play is very fast, his position has been changed, he has new plays to learn..

i thought he should have had the guy down along the sideline before the half but...

he will get better, he's a beast, give him time.

10. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Nuff said.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I will agree; he didn't light it up, but that is why there is pre-season. The coaches will look at the tape and VG will have a one on one with the analyzing coach; things he did well will be pointed out; and things he really needs to work on will be pointed out.

The defense as a whole needs to come together more. Still a little shaky on the run. But, it is the first pre-season game.................patience.

12. TexasJet

TexasJet New Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that other workout warriors (Mario Williams) didn't have a great rookie season, but busted out his second year. It's going to take time for Vernon to come on (IMHO) but his strength/speed are amazing. IMHO - having Jenkins/Ellis there will help take off some of the pressure (thereby, freeing up the Gholston/Pace/Thomas to make more plays). Plus - Thomas will actually be "trying" this season... - after his year of "slacking off'.

13. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Why?

By Week 2 it'll be nothing of "We should of drafted Mayo, Gholston is a bust."

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Who was that DT who crushed Dorsey and picked up the roughing the passer? We need to show Gholston the film of that play and then a picture of Brady, and tell him that is the gameplan.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

QFT + LOL.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

had to edit this and just reply with the fact that i was relaxed and pointed it out in both my posts. people telling me to relax when i am being objective and relaxed makes me need to relax :)

#36 alleycat9, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i believe that was #95 thomas johnson 3rd year out of middle tennessee according to espn.

i thought he played very hard and well against the offense he was playing against last night, he is one of the guys i will be watching over the next few weeks to see how he does and if he gets some more snaps against higher level guys.

18. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

He looked pretty fast on one play to me and I think he had 3-4 tackles, not bad.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I didn't pick up on this. Good point. Its not just the plays he makes but the mistakes he can cause just by his presence on the field.

Imagine a 6'3, 260 pound man in football pads staring down at you, ready to tear through you. That would make me flinch before the snap as well.