The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

I know that the media has the Jets pegged as longshots, but I still think it's very possible, if not probable. The Packers won't release him if the Jets offer anything, because they might as well get value. They're not going to let him come to camp. So, unless some mystery team outbids them...

And it really does sound like the Bucs are content to go with Jeff Garcia. We'll see, obviously.

2. allan1

allan1 Active Member

yea, and the Redskins couldn't fit him under the cap.

I guess the only darkhorse is Carolina.

If it comes down to release(and have him go to Minny) or trade, of course they'd give him to us. Even for a 7th rounder, at least it's a warm body.

I think Green Bay was trying to drum up a bidding war and it hasn't happened.

3. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

i guess i'm ok with favre on the jets...i'd like to see what clemens can do, but in this league of one year you can suck and the next year win the super bowl, why not go for it all when you have the personnel to do it... and this year i think we do.

no more than a third rounder though. now that his letter is in to the league the packers have no where to go but release him or trade him, even for a bad offer. whatever team makes the best offer will get him, but of course, green bay wants to get rid of him to an AFC team.

i don't know, i see us as possible frontrunners.

4. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

Favre won 1 SB ring and GB had the best team for like 4 years. He is an over rated stat monster. ill pass

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Which four years?

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

9x Pro Bowl selection (1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007)
    7x All-Pro selection (1995, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007)
    Super Bowl champion (XXXI) (2 appearances, Usually a contender)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
    3x AP NFL MVP (1995, 1996, 1997)
    2x PFWA NFL MVP (1995, 1996)
    2x NEA NFL MVP (1995, 1996)
    1995 NFL Offensive Player of the Year
    2x Bert Bell Award (1995, 1996)
    2x UPI NFC Offensive Player of the Year (1995, 1996)
    2007 Galloping Gobbler Award
    2007 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year
    2007 Fed Ex Air Player Of The Year
    #1 all-time NFL TD passes

I agree.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I didn't realize he won the FedEx Air and Galloping Gobbler awards, this changes everything- Go get Brett!:smile:

9. WhiteShoeWillis

haha - i just copied from wikipedia. Those do put him over the edge though - especially the galloping gobbler.

#569 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I thought Paris Hilton won that last year.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Favre asks for reinstatement

Brett Favre, QB GB
    News: Brett Favre has faxed his reinstatement paperwork to the NFL and is awaiting approval from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the league and the Packers have confirmed. Once Favre is granted reinstatement, a step considered a formality, the Packers will have 24 hours to release the star quarterback or return him to their active roster. Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson has said the team will not release Favre. The team can still trade Favre, but they must also allow him to practice with the rest of the club in training camp. Favre told the team last weekend that he wanted to come to training camp, but held off for a couple of days to give the team a chance to negotiate a trade for Favre. Since then, there has been no significant news on a possible trade, with quarterbacks and coaches from the Bucs and Jets flustered with questions about Favre over the last three days.

Analysis: It's obvious that Favre will be on an active roster in 2008. Where? No one can say for sure, though you can expect it to be with a team that runs a version of the West-Coast offense (the Bucs and Jets do, as do the Vikings, whom Favre might sign with if the Packers eventually do release him). If you're in a draft in the immediate future, taking Favre with a middle- to late-round pick is a low-risk, high-reward proposition. The worst he'd be is a low-end No. 1 Fantasy QB if he came back and was a starter in the NFL. As always, we'll deliver the latest news on Favre as we get it.

12. cxhannan

cxhannan New Member

Lets low ball the Packers and see what happens? Worst case scenario we are left with the same team best case we arguably the best all time QB

13. cxhannan

cxhannan New Member

At some point they will be forced to act on this situation

14. nyjetsfan7234

nyjetsfan7234 Member

this needs to happen

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Actually the Jets do not run a West Coast offense. It just looks that way when Pennington is running it. It is supposed to be a more balanced medium to long vertical attacking style offense but we all know Chad cant handle it.

16. GreenMachine

This a crap statement.

The WC offense that has been popular is the Walsh version:

Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense, however, differs from traditional offense by instead emphasizing a short, horizontal passing attack to help stretch the defense out, thus opening up running lanes. The West Coast Offense as implemented under Walsh features precisely run pass patterns by the receivers that make up about 65% to 80% of the offensive scheme. With the defense stretched out, the offense is then free to focus the remaining plays on longer throws (more than 14 yards) and mid to long yard rushes.

For some reason people think the WC is an all out bombs away attack.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What all of this tells us is that Favre, with the exception of his big 37 year old comeback season last year, hasn't really been all that good since 2003. Which is what you'd expect given his age.

It also tells us that he was really at his best in the mid to late 90's, that was his prime. That was also a decade or more ago now.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Even though I said I don't really want to do this deal anymore after considering Boomer's comments, I think I would still be OK with this. We low ball the shit out of them (offer a 7th round pick and Penny or even just penny), then start Clemens until Favre is up to speed with the offense. Better yet, offer them a 7th and then trade Penny to the Vikings for a 5th or 6th :up:. I don't know if that's even logically possible considering the cap or not, but I like the idea.

Favre can't possibly think he's going to walk in and start without knowing the playbook well enough.

GB desperately wants to find a trading partner and has zero leverage what so ever. They WANT the Jets to be their partner. If they don't find a partner, they have to live with him on their sideline causing all sorts of drama or release him and allow the Viking to pick him up.

I know a 7th or Penny for Favre sounds crazy but they are desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Dude - did you overlook the galloping gobbler award? Obviously you did.

No doubt his 2004-2006 seasons were bad compared to the rest of his career, especially 2005. I've talked about those seasons in depth, and believe that 2007 was more than just lightning striking - it's debatable though.

By looking at just the stats, Favre's bad 2004 and 2006 seasons appear to be better than Penny's "good" 2004 and 2006 seasons to me. That's also debatable, but what isn't is that Favre's ceiling is much higher than Penny's.

Like I said, I'm pretty skeptical about bringing him in at this point, I just enjoy the debate.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i guess we're shortly going to find out exactly how desperate the packers and/or favre are.

the jets are in the catbird seat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.