The Brett Favre thread. All Favre News Goes Here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dr. Christian Troy, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good maybe now we can put this thing to bed

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I don't think the article is saying he doesn't want to play for the Jets. It's saying he's open to other teams too. He can want the Vikings all he wants he's not going there.

3. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

Considering half the stuff written (this web site) about this team, why would ANYBODY want to come here to play??? :beer:

4. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Well he's not going to play for the Vikings because they're not trading him there

Either he plays for us or he plays for nobody

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

good idea for a thread.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

To me it is by far and it has everything to do w/ performing when it matters most which Brady does and manning does not. Manning should have more than 1 SB appearance by now. It would be one thing if he was playing well and other players were screwing up keeping him from winning but it haven't been the case, he has been a medicore QB in January and Brady has seperated himself from Manning. All Manning really had was the big edge in individual #s and Brady finally had some weapons comparable to manning last year and he broke manning's TD record and led his team to another SB. I do not believe they are close, they were alot closer a year ago at this time but Manning has alot of catching up to do.

Brady NEVER had the weapons around him to throw and handoff to that Manning has had. Even last year when Brady finally had weapons comparable I'm not sure he has had weapons as good as Manning so the talent question is a joke. You can blame the D's all you want but the offense has to score in order to win and in playoff losses mannign simply doesn't lead his team to points. In 7 nplayoff losses Manning has led his high powered Colts O's to 13 PPG and last year was the first L where he led his team to at least 20 points where you could maybe pin the loss on someone other than Peyton and his O.

When did Manning lift his team? and the '05 Pats were 10-6, it was their worst playoff team this decade and Brady is allowed a poor playoff game or 2 every once in a while, right? and he basically had a bad throw which led to his FIRST playoff loss EVER.

OK, the last 3 years Brady has been average in January but Manning's entire career he has been average at best in January. The last 3 years Brady still has 4 playoff wins and he has never lost a home playoff game while Peyton lost #3 in January.

Denver was 13-3 in '05, NE was 10-6. How was Denver better? in '06 Brady reached the AFC Title Game w/ Jabar gaffney and Reche Caldwell as his WRs.

NE did not have the better team in 2006, both teams have been very close most of the decade. The seperation was at the QB position where Brady plays big in January while Manning plays small.

NE did lose to a team they were better than last year in the SB which was the first time that happened under Brady while Indy has lost to Ten, Miami, NYJ(lost 41-0), Pitt and SD- ALL teams Indy was better than in those years w/ 3 of those L's coming at home including '05 when the officials tried everything they could to hand Peyton the game w/ the BS INT overturn then he got another break w/ the Bettis fumble and STILL couldn't win that game.

and if those defensive signals helped NE shut down Manning then why did Ten, Miami, NYJ and Pitt shut him down too?

The difference is Brady led his team to a potential GW TD w/ 2 mins to play. Let's check Peyton's playoff games:

lost at home 19-16 to Ten: Last drive led Indy to a TD but they were down 10 so it didn't matter.

Lost at Miami 23-17 in OT: led Indy to 14-0 lead at half but against a legendary choking D could only manage 3 points the rest of the way. he set up his K(the peyton manning of K's) for a "chip shot" 49 yarder.

Lost at NYJ 41-0: we all know what happened here.

Lost at NE 24-14: 1 TD, 4 INTs. Again, final drive is meaningless.

Lost at NE 20-3: only 1 INT this time! but again final drive is meaningless.

Lost vs. Pitt 21-18: had a million opportunities. On final drive down 3 had 2nd and 2 at Pitt 28 but instead of getting 1st down and geting closer for his awful K he decides to take 2 shots at the EZ and Vanderjagt attempts 46 yarder which, of course, is no good.

Lost vs. SD 28-24: Finally led O to 20+ points but critical INT at end of 1st half costs Indy FG and another INT from the SD 4 cost them 3-7 more points(there's your difference in the game). Manning had not 1 but TWO shots to win game down 28-24. The first attempt they lost it on downs at SD 7. The final attempt began at Indy 32 w/ 1:30 to play and he led them all the way to the Indy 37 where they lost the ball on downs.

Do you see a difference w/ what Brady did in the last SB and w/ what Manning has done?

7. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

and what are you basing that on?

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

No I won't start another Favre thread, but this adds some speculation that whatever is going to happen will happen by Wednesday of this week.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comme...-not-reporting-to-camp-sunday-07-27-2008.html

There is definitely something afoot, but with who?

"Packers, Favre reach compromise; QB not reporting to camp Sunday
    0 Speak Out July 27 ESPN.com
    "The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre have reached a compromise.

He won't report for camp Sunday and Packers' management will try and reach some sort of resolution to the on-going un-retirement saga, SI.com reports.

"I had planned on reporting for the start of Packers training camp Sunday, but [general manager] Ted Thompson asked if I would give him a couple of days to try to get the situation resolved," Favre told SI.com Saturday night from his home west of Hattiesburg, Miss. "I agreed to do that. I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football.''

Favre also said: "I've also spoken with Commissioner [Roger] Goodell a couple of times this week, in hopes that he could be some sort of arbitrator in this. I hope he can be.''

Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy isn't quite sure how this will play out over the next few days. But he does know this much: Favre or no Favre, Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

In his season-opening news conference at Lambeau Field on Saturday, McCarthy strongly affirmed the team's commitment to Rodgers and reiterated that players and coaches spent the offseason planning to move forward after Favre retired in March.

"Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers," McCarthy said. "That's been stated over and over again. I hope we can finally understand that. That's where we are as an organization and as a head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I don't know how else to answer that question."

Packers players are scheduled to report to training camp Sunday and will have their first practice Monday morning.

Favre retired in March, but asked to be released from his contract earlier this month after his latest round of flip-flopping on his football future was met with lukewarm enthusiasm from McCarthy and Thompson.

The Packers have no plans to release Favre, whose rights belong to them until his contract expires after the 2010 season. That would leave Favre free to sign with any team, including division rival Minnesota.

Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who talked to Favre during the offseason, addressed the Packers' charge of tampering for the first time on Saturday.

"It's not the message I want out there," Bevell said. "I want us focusing on the Minnesota Vikings. What we're doing here, what we're trying to prepare for, the season that we're having. Keep the focus on our team, and that's where I would like it to stay."

The NFL is investigating the tampering charge. Bevell was Green Bay's quarterbacks coach from 2003-05 and got to know Favre well during that time.

"I would say we're really good friends, and other than that it's a league matter and they are taking care of it," said Bevell, who is in his third year as Minnesota's offensive coordinator under coach Brad Childress.

Bevell didn't bite on a query about whether he was curious to see where Favre winds up playing if he follows through on his desire to file for reinstatement, now that the Packers have committed to Rodgers as their starter.

"Like I said, I'm just focused on what we're doing here," Bevell said. "That's going to happen, what's going to happen, but focused on what we're doing."

Favre could always just stay retired, but his next move might be to show up for camp -- or at least try to use the threat of showing up and creating a media circus to force a trade.

Tampa Bay and the New York Jets are emerging as potential trade partners for the Packers, although McCarthy didn't directly address the possibility of a trade Saturday.

While the Tampa Bay Buccaneers aren't acknowledging interest in Favre, coach Jon Gruden said little to dispel the notion on the first day of training camp.

General manager Bruce Allen was unavailable for comment, and Gruden shrugged off reports that Tampa Bay had been given permission to talk to Favre.

"You can talk to Brett yourself. If we have permission, I'm sure you do, too," the coach said.

"I don't have any reports on Brett, OK. I'm going to concentrate on [practice]. There will be more opportunities to write stories on this situation. It's a great story to cover. I wish I had time to cover all the things going on. But I do like what we did today as a football team. His situation is going to handle itself."

Gruden reiterated that Jeff Garcia, who is not in camp this weekend because he's attending a reunion for the junior college team that his father led to a national championship 35 years ago, is the club's No. 1 quarterback.

"We are creating a real drama here. I don't know if it is that tear-jerking and emotional that we need to address it any more than we have," Gruden said.

"What we talk about is confidential. ... [Favre] is very confident in his own abilities. His game tape in the last 20 starts in this league proves he isn't afraid of anything, he understands pro football, and he is eager to get in here with his team and compete."

If Favre does play this season, he first would have to file for reinstatement with the league and have his request approved by Goodell. Then he'd have to pass a team physical.

Despite the mind-numbing nature of the ongoing Favre saga, McCarthy seemed fairly upbeat Saturday. At one point, he jokingly offered $50 to the first reporter who asked a question that didn't pertain to Favre.

But McCarthy did acknowledge that he was disappointed about how the situation has evolved.

"The way it's gone has been disappointing, I'll say that," McCarthy said. "So you can say that's a surprise."

That's the closest McCarthy and other Packers officials have come to publicly criticizing Favre in recent weeks, even after the quarterback lashed out at Thompson in an interview with Fox News.

"We've taken the high road through this whole process, for as difficult as it's been," McCarthy said. "And we've always operated in the best interest of the Packers and also with the utmost respect for Brett Favre."

But even given Favre's iffy commitment to football, doesn't he still give the Packers their best chance to win in 2008?

"As simple as a question as that sounds, it's obviously more complicated than that," McCarthy said.

Taking Favre back might seem like an easy answer, but doing so would undermine the message McCarthy and his assistants have been preaching to players for nearly five months.

"Moving forward as a football team is really the identity of the whole football team," McCarthy said. "Brett Favre's had an incredible career here. He's been the focal point of the Packers, the face of the Green Bay Packers."

Despite his background as a quarterbacks coach, McCarthy prefers to win with defense -- a philosophy that presumably works best with steady but unspectacular play from a quarterback.

"The football team has moved forward with the emphasis on defense," McCarthy said. "Because that's what I believe in."

Even with his firm commitment to Rodgers and the defense, McCarthy couldn't completely rule out the possibility of Favre starting another game for the Packers. But McCarthy's quote -- "You never say never" -- seemed more like an offhanded acknowledgment of the unpredictable nature of the game than a subtle hint that Favre could win his job back.

"If he reinstates, he'll be part of our roster," McCarthy said. "That's really as far as we can go.""

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

this needs to end soon

10. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Best Favre Assessment Yet

Bold is my emphasis. :wink:

Trying to make sense of the Favre fiasco
    by Jay Glazer

RIVER FALLS, Wis. (aka, anywhere but Green Bay) - Titletown is starting to look an awful lot like Tinseltown.

The fine folks in Hollywood who make millions writing dirty plots and creating cunning villains could be proud of the muck the Brett Favre soap opera has raked up. The only thing missing from this divorce are a few slimy lawyers.

As the annual Glaze Across America training camp tour-slash-debacle shifts into high gear, one thing is clear ? there is no escaping the Favre Files.

From the Bears to Rams to Chiefs to my damn cell phone, it's Favre 24/7. I'm trying to cover the other 31 teams as well as the Packers, but with each sitdown with a player, every beer with a coach, conversation after conversation, the question I've now grown to dread usually takes all of one second to be launched ... "OK, what's really going on with the Favre thing?"

So, we're going to try to weed through the murky waters of two sides, the truths, the lies and everything in between.

I do not believe there is any right answer here and when the smoke clears, I believe there will be no winner. The Packers, Favre, tradition, legacy ? all thrown under the bus. Admittedly, I am a huge Favre fan. When he throws TD passes like the one he launched against Denver to start overtime last year, it produces chuckles, the same type of laughs that you can't help when Devin Hester returns yet another punt or Tiger Woods drops another 50-footer.

However, legend or no legend, if in any other business an employee, even the top sales manager of all time, calls his boss a liar three times on national television, and then reveals conversations with his boss that were believed to be private and then threatens his bosses ... seriously, how many of those folks would still be employed? How many players in this league would come through unscathed, especially in the wallet?

Now imagine if Mr. Johnny Cool Salesman, it turns out, took such a path for the sole purpose of bolting to a rival company, what does his boss do at this point?

Favre is clearly trying to gain his release, an option the Packers, sources have told FOXSports.com, told Brett as late as two days ago absolutely will NOT happen. In fact, those same sources say that GM Ted Thompson never told Favre he'd get fired for letting him back in the building. Instead, he joked that even the people who don't want Brett back would want him fired if he released the famed gunslinger.

But how in the world does one of the most beloved sports figures of all time, a man who epitomized toughness and grit turn so soap opera-ish so fast? His PR tactics have gained him little if any sympathy, even from his peers. In my travels through camp so far, not one coach I've talked to agrees with his stance and the players have been split 50 percent somewhat sadly against Favre, 25 percent adamantly for Favre and 25 percent absolutely blasting him for the PR route he's taken.

"I don't care, it's Brett Favre, give him his helmet back," said one Bears player over beers the other night. "I don't care what happened or how it's gotten here, it's freakin' Brett Favre!"

"Don't let him back in the building," said a Rams veteran after practice on Sunday. "He's made it all about Brett. I'd be pissed if I was in that locker room and he's made it all about him all this time. Man, I'd want to move on. Enough already, it's been about is he coming back or not for damn near four years. I'd be sick of it."

Then there's the case of their own locker room. Packers players told FOXSports.com that head coach Mike McCarthy was very moved in his speech to the team Sunday afternoon, emphatically praising them for the way his players have handled the most difficult of situations.

Favre is welcome back into the locker room by the front office and coaches, albeit not as the starter. However, if he thought he'd walk in and the locker room would run to his defense, it may not be as clear cut as he'd like to believe.

Remember, 21 of the players in that locker room have never met Favre. Their only experience has been with young Aaron Rodgers and this storm of controversy. Additionally, because of the youth of the team, there's a high percentage of second- and third-year players.

Didn't Favre say just two short weeks ago that he probably wasn't going to force the Packers' hand and show up for fear of something just like this? Didn't he say he didn't want to be a distraction ... but now he wants to be?

The Bucs and Jets are still alive in trade talks, although how strong depends upon the hour you check. Both teams have asked for and received permission to speak with Favre. Favre has not talked to the Jets at this point, although his agent has. The Bucs, oddly, have yet to act and have even publicly denied asking for permission.

The trade is not for a first-round pick, as had been reported, nor for a first-round pick plus other compensation, as is now the latest word on the rumor mill. The Packers, several sources have told FOXSports.com, have based their compensation upon an escalating scale that could go as high as a first-rounder based upon certain performance benchmarks Favre would have to hit.

However, negotiations on the compensation is far from firm as the parties involved are still in serious talks regarding what it would take to make this move. The Packers do not have a firm asking price, as they are trying to trade their formerly beloved player.

So where do we go from here so the rest of us can happily get back to our NFL training camp tours and actually acknowledge that there are 31 other teams in this league? Is Brett Favre great for this league? No doubt, especially when he played like he did last year. The Favre who threw pick after pick in the two previous years? Not so much.

But maybe we all didn't have to come down this road in the first place. In talking with some Chiefs vets last night, they didn't understand why he never came out with, "Look, I made a mistake. I know I've flip-flopped on the organization a lot and for that I truly am sorry. I love this game and I truly realize how much I miss it. I know I've put the organization and especially Aaron in a tough spot and again, I apologize. I made the decision to retire but that itch has returned. What do I need to do to prove I'm fully committed and how can I help the Packers and Aaron?" Would it have worked? Who knows, but it sure would have been better than blasting his boss as a liar and putting the fans he says he loves in a must-choose position.

The fans of Green Bay are like family to the team. But they've been brought into the center of a divorce, being pushed to choose between mom and dad. It's simply not fair.

If Brett truly wants to play football, has that itch, then he should push for a trade to the two teams that have shown interest. Based on my conversations with personnel men and coaches throughout the league, the Packers have called every team in the league aside from those within their own division and those who already have a star QB (Patriots, Colts, etc.). They are working it.

Or, better yet, he can always stay home, quietly apologize for this PR disaster and, should something happen to Aaron Rodgers, gallop in on his white horse and save the day!

We don't like to see our sports stars struggle in their twilight, don't like to hear chants for their hook or boos surrounding their latter-years performances. But we love when they defy the odds and create magic when time tells them they shouldn't.

Only Favre can end this now.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

dah dah dah

#531 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

KFFL Favre News

Jets | Speak with agent for Favre
    Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:56:29 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports James "Bus" Cook, the agent for retired QB Brett Favre, spoke with the New York Jets, according to a report by ESPN. The report stated that the Jets spoke with Cook but not with Favre.

It isn't much news, but I didn't see it posted anywhere.

13. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

no offense to the OP but.....

im so tired of this already. i do not want FAVRE!

and mostly, its cause this is the time of year that is exciting for jet fans for soooo many other reasons (all of our core awesome players) -- the thunder is kind of being stolen by this old lumberjack. dirtbag.

14. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Wow, a new thread for a subject that already has too many threads, AND the article you posted is actually in one of them...

[​IMG]

FYI: If you look at the numbers at the beginning of the article (after the "2008" and before the article), you can see that this came out at 11:56 am. It's probably a good bet that one of us already found it in the last 8.5 hours. The search function is your friend.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the jets offense with Favre.....

ok lets speculate cause we never do.....:)

i have become infected with the favre virus and like many others in the tri-state area and am wondering what the jets offense would be like with favre at the helm.

well i hope he is a fast learner cause he has a completely different volume of plays, formations, check downs, etc etc to absorb. However, the jets have several "weapons" at his disposal - capable WR's, TE's who can catch, RB's who can catch, and a very wealthy offensive line.

definitely an offense that can score points and maybe even lethal at times - but they have no honeymoon so we may never see the peak potential.

its funny - all of a sudden with favre the jets offense has a few "weapons" but with incumbents pennington and clemens the offense doesn't scare anybody.

jil

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Give me a break pal...I don't usually scan the message board unless I feel like it may have already been posted. I didn't think it was posted so I posted it. Big fuckin deal. I am sure my repost has ruined your Monday evening.

In fact, I am pretty sure we might as well shut the whole website down.

Since this is the first time this has ever happened in the history of TGG.com, I will nominate myself for a lifetime ban.

Get a life.

17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

...or you could just learn how to read.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^ this topic has been beaten down like a rented mule.

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

It would appear that the FO of the Pack is in a debacle that significantly rivals anything that went on with the Jets and Kendall. In addition to what to do with Brent Favre, they gave Grant an unbelievable low-ball offer considering how much Grant brought the GB running game around last year.

GB better start taking care of business or this whole thing could get ugly. A very good RB who will be mega-PO'd and a elder starting QB who will probably be riding the pine should he be adamant about returning and is not traded to someone else.

Agent says Grant offer 'absurd'
    4 Speak Out July 28 Wisconsin State Journal
    "The Green Bay Packers' unsigned starting running back is "livid" over the club's initial contract offer, his agent said.

"It's a joke. It's an absolute joke," agent Alan Herman said Sunday night, roughly 24 hours after receiving what he said was an offer from Packers negotiator Russ Ball of a six-year deal that included just $1.75 million in guaranteed money. "It's insulting. I don't believe it.

"Ryan's feelings about the Green Bay Packers at this point are not very good. He is livid. He is very angry."

Midway through last season, Grant brought the Packers' going-nowhere running game to life, rushing for 956 yards in the second half of the season before adding a 201-yard effort against Seattle in the NFC divisional playoffs.

Herman said Grant's frustration comes from knowing that linebacker Brady Poppinga received a $3 million signing bonus as part of his extension last week even though Poppinga might not keep his starting job in camp after the signing of Brandon Chillar.

The Packers' offer to Grant also pales in comparison to the four-year, $40 million extension the Chicago Bears gave return man Devin Hester, who like Grant was two years away from unrestricted free agency.

Herman said Hester received $10 million in guaranteed money even though he's yet to prove himself as a receiver."

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Ryan Grant is a beast, theyre so wrapped up in trying to deal favre the real issue at hand is this. if im ted thompson i sign grant to a nice contract and thank myself for keeping the skill positions intact outside of the favre debacle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.