Oh how SWEEP it is!

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TampaBayJetsFan85, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Tropicana Field is hands down the worst stadium in sports. And by mid-August the Devil Rays will be busy crumbling. Like the Brewers last year, they aren't ready for the big stage yet.

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

The Trop has one of the best fields in the game and when packed... It looks real nice.

When you hear people around basbeall talk about "The looks of the Trop" They are talking about the OUTSIDE, not the inside. Just thought I would let you know

3. devilonthetownhallroof

No, the inside looks like shit too. I've never been there, but on TV it looks terrible. It's dark, the turf looks bad, and any stadium where a fucking catwalk can decide a game is an embarrassment.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

It won't be done for at least 4 or 5 more years, if then. They just recently postponed the public VOTE on it until 2010. The team was being way too shady about it if you ask me, and they knew it.

5. TampaBayJetsFan85

Did the Brewers play in the AL East? Thats a positive for the Rays... Not a Negative.

You do know that the Rays have the best record in baseall AFTER playing the #1 Ranked SOS right? You do know that the Rays SOS will drop down to the 20's after the Allstar break right? Fold by August? Funny.

You do know the Rays are only 1 of 5 teams with an away record of .500 or above right? You do know the Rays are 20 games over .500 right?

Who were the starting pitchers on the brewers team? lol. Did they have Kazmir, Shields, Garza, David Price and Andy Sonnanstine as a 5 man rotation? Once again... Who were the Brewers starting 5...

Did the brewers have J.P Howell, Dan Wheeler, Troy Percival or Grant Balfour in the bullpen? Who were the brewers bullpen?

Did the Brewers have a rookie of the year type of player @ 3rd base? The Rays have Longoria

Did the brewers have a gold glove 1st basemen? The Rays have Carlos Pena who had 46 HRs and over 120 RBI's last year

Did the brewers have the best DEFENSIVE left fielder in the game today? The Rays have Carl Crawford.

Who was the Brewers CF? The Rays have B.J Upton who is on his way to becoming a special player

Who was the brewers cather? The Rays have Navarro... Who leads ALL catchers in batting average, has one of the best arms in the game from behind the plate, and also... Has only makde 1 error on the year this year.

Who was the brewers manager? The Rays have the manager of the year so far, Joe Maddon.

Its funny when "Fans" Of baseball make comments like you, but have no way of backing them up.

The ONLY reason why you call a (National league team) Like the Brewers the same type of team as an AL Team Rays....

Is because BOTH teams got off to an amazing start. But I got news for you, they are different. lol

Prove me wrong

6. TampaBayJetsFan85

Your just mad because your Red Sox came into Tampa and got swept two times here.

Your just upset because the sorry "Devil Rays" Are 3 1/2 games aover the Red Sox.

Your mad because your favorite team is on a what? a 6 game losing streak and CANT win on the road? The Rays are 8-2 during their last 10 and have a road record of .500

A Red Sox fan talking down on the Trop? Now thats FUNNY! I can understand a Yankee fans talking down on it, but a Red Sox fan? wow...

You do know that other than Fenways history, Fenway park is the laughing stock of baseball and knows as a piece of $H1T right? You do know that? Its horrid @ Fenway

Watch when the Yankees sweep Boston, they will be looking up @ the Rays (They already are)

Get used to another 100 years of losing. Ortiz is washed up, Manny is almost done... They are done for another 100 years

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Dude, you realize Joe Jet is a bigger poser than you, right? Toolshed. Congratulations on your successes, ballfan.

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No it's not. It's fucking hideous. It's the ugliest looking stadium in baseball, by far, on the INSIDE.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

In March, I figured the Rays would win at least 84 games but no more than 88 in the regular season. Looks like they may get into the 90s.
    I figured the Yankees would finish in 3rd place.

Seattle is the only big surprise to me.

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

dude your team isnt going to be good for a long time because Tampa aint gonna pay to retain all these guys. See the Oakland A's business model

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't know what to think about it yet. Their old owner was horrible. The new one actually cares about winning. He may be able to keep the team competitive.

12. TampaBayJetsFan85

All of our young talented prosepcts and players under 26 are ALLREADY signed long term

Get used to it, you will see

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wow, I officially care less about the Rays now, thanks to this thread.

Congratulations.

14. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

you and the other 6 rays fans must be so excited!

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

so what if the Rays are in first....this is only the midway point of the season. Let's see how they finish up before you crown them like Dennis Green.

16. TampaBayJetsFan85

Who cares that the Rays are in 1st place? We do.

Not only do we have the #1 record in baseball as of right now

But this Rays team has worked HARD for the #1 Record. This Rays team has went up against the #1 Ranked SOS so far... The #1 ranked SOS...And still walked away with the #1 Record.

And after the Allstar break, the SOS is dropping from #1, all the way down to #24... I like our chances.

We are 20 games above .500, even if this Rays team play .500 ball the rest of the way, they would still end up with 91 wins. 91 Wins with playing .500 ball? I cant wait.

As far as the Rays having "No Fans" Thats like saying our Jets have "No fans"

Go to MLB,Com and go to the Rays official team site, then go to message boards, the Rays team site has more traffic than JI, TGG and JN, Com (Combined) No fans?

17. devilonthetownhallroof

Yeah, playing in a MUCH harder division with the defending world champions and the team with the highest payroll in baseball is clearly an advantage. Idiot.

Who cares? Outside of Percival who is on the DL now anyway, there isn't a player on the roster that has ever SNIFFED a pennant race. They don't have the experience to handle it, and their lineup will come back to earth.

And that has what to do with the future? You do realize that the Rays are 4 games better than they should be (Pythagorean is 48-36), while the Sox are dead on where they should be? Those things tend to even out over a season.

Sheets, Suppan, Capuano, Gallardo, and Bush. Not bad. Also, Price hasn't thrown a big league pitch yet, so I don't know if you should count him in the rotation, and you have no idea what he'll do in the Majors.

Yes. They had Ryan Braun, who hit .324 with 34 home runs and WON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR! Do some research and maybe you won't look so stupid.

No, but Pena has never won a Gold Glove either. The Brewers DID have Prince Fielder. Not sure if you heard of him. He did ok last year, .288, 50 HR, 119 RBI. Pretty similar.

Geoff Jenkins had pretty much identical defensive stats last year as Crawford has this year.

Bill Hall, who is a decent player himself.

Navarro has 3 passed balls already, Estrada had only 5 all last year. Navarro has a good arm, but it's not like he's a top 5 MLB catcher.

Ned Yost, who has more experience than Maddon, who hasn't proven anything yet in his entire career. His team has had 3 good months to start the year.

I think I just backed them up. They two teams are VERY similar. Want more? As a team the Brewers hit .262 last year. The Rays are hitting .263. The Rays are 11th in HR right now, the Brewers actually led the majors last year. The Brewers were 12th in runs scored, the Rays are 11th. The Rays have the 9th most strikeouts by hitters this year, last year the Brewers were 10th. Pitching wise, the Rays have a 3.67 ERA, the Brewers had a 4.41. That is a difference, but that's what I expect to break down, plus the Brewers have a hitter's park while Tampa has a pitcher's park. The Rays are 12th in pitcher Ks, the Brewers were 4th last year. Both teams are/were 10th in walks.

The biggest similarity though is lack of experience with a pennant race. The Rays are even younger than the Brewers were last year. When it comes down to it, there isn't anyone on that roster that has gone through it, outside of the fragile Percival. I'm not saying the Rays aren't good, or that they aren't headed in the right direction, but they just aren't ready yet.

I did.

18. devilonthetownhallroof

Yeah, Fenway is known as a shitty field. :rolleyes: And you dare accuse OTHERS of not knowing baseball?

The Sox are playing bad right now, but they are missing their second best hitter. When Ortiz comes back, the offense is totally different.

And now a Devil Rays fan is going to talk about losing? After the first 3 month stretch of anything close to decent baseball in FRANCHISE HISTORY? Ridiculous. Not to mention that the Sox have one of the best closers in the game, one of the best postseason pitchers (and a pretty damn good regular season one too), a guy who is currently 9-1, 3.21 ERA in his second year, a lefty who throws mid 90s, has thrown a no hitter and won a World Series clinching game, another kid that has a no hitter and nasty stuff, a rookie who has looked great, and another kid in the minors who is dominating, all under 29 years old. The Red Sox are as stocked with quality young pitching as any team in baseball. Plus Ellsbury and Pedroia at the top of the lineup for the foreseeable future. They aren't going away any time soon.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There's no question that on the field things look very bright for the Rays. Off the field the picture is still much fuzzier. Their attendance is up 40% from last year at this time, but it's still only about 20,000 per game, pretty bad for a team this successful. Much more importantly, the plan for the new ballpark is basically back to square one. The team dropped their request for the referendum this November, and they now acknowledge that they need to build far more community support before they can consider any stadium plan. This story describes what's going on:

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/06/23/daily32.html?q=tampa bay rays new stadium

20. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

AYFKM? Trashtalking after a half-season success? Finally.

Silly person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.