CB Debate: Jets' Lowery vs. Raiders' Branch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mr Electric, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Well you would be wrong. Raiders do play man to man 98% of the time. Big reason why you have no problem trading for a 24 year old two time probowler cb, and paying him some big dough. Your going to play CB for the Raiders and you will be left on an Island 98% of the time. Raiders secondary not the best in the NFl for nothing.

2. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Have you ever been tested for some form of mental retardation? Seriously.

3. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

NOw whose more retarded me, or jet fans for actually believing Lowery was the better player over T branch. Raiders beat them to the punch again.

Hey Rook! Dwight Lowery
    Posted on June 17th, 2008 by Bassett Name: Dwight Lowery
    Position: DB
    Height: 5′11″
    Weight: 201
    College: San Jose State
    Hometown: Santa Cruz, CA
    High School: Soquel HS
    40 Time: 4.62 (4.31 was best)
    Bench Reps: 16 reps (21 was best)
    3-Cone: Not available
    Broad Jump: Not available
    Vertical Jump: Not available

Why Lowery: I truly think that the Jets were looking to steal Justin King or Tyvon Branch (both over six foot and sub 4.4s) at the top of the fourth round, but with them both going shortly before the Jets were set to pick, the team traded out of their slot and moved back taking Dwight Lowery. In addition to getting Lowery, the move back allowed the team to pick up Erik Ainge in the fifth round. Lowery was considered a first rounder coming into his senior season, but was slowed by a broken jaw and his draft stock dropped further with some terrible 40 times at the Combine. Before the draft Lowery was projecting in the 4ht and 5th rounds.

Lowery isn’t a speedster, and was expected to test in the 4.5 range. What he lacks in speed, he more than makes up for in pass defense and interception abilities. With a need at cornerback, Lowery probably was the best still available in the fourth round. He had 13 interceptions over the past two seasons at San Jose State, including nine as a junior, which demonstrates his ballhawking play. He has good ball skills and the ability to make picks, and thus make plays. His speed is questionable and he could struggle against fast NFL wideouts and needs to improve in run support. He also can play safety but probably projects as a corner for the Jets at present.

Positives: Opportunistic cornerback with a good head for the game. Fluid pedaling in reverse, quick transitioning to run with opponents, and has quarterbacks purposely throwing away from him. Displays a good degree of awareness on the field, effectively reads the action, and diagnoses plays. Possesses a great sense of timing and anticipation as well as terrific hands for the interception.

Negatives: Needs to increase his strength without sacrificing his speed further, not considered to be a “sturdy” defender. Although he’s willing he can struggle against the run and has a tendency to side-shuffle down the field. This makes him a passing down player initially at best.

How Does He Help: Doesn’t project to ever being a #1 corner. Although Lowery is a talented cover corner with excellent timing and abilities for finding the ball. Lowery best suits a cover two system or a scheme where he’s backed off the line of scrimmage. At best, expect Lowery should to time as a rookie in dime or nickel situations where his weaknesses against the run can’t be overexposed.

Who Loses Out: With Justin Miller taking first team reps, and Hank Poteat back in the fold, the CB#2 spot is likley in competent hands, so someone like David Barrett and his engorged cap number seem most threatened.

Thanks pretty much everyone bgelieves Raiders took the guy they wanted. Lowery at his best might be a nickel CB in the NFL. (best he can accomplish)

#43 Raiderjoe, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It's really cool of the Jets organization to let a retard sit in the war room during draft day. What happened Raiderjoke, the Raiders wouldn't let you?

5. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

You don't have to be In Jets War room, to know their intentions, if you apply some common sense. LOwery didn't drop like a Rock without a reason. T Branch from all the draft publications was moving up draft boards real fast this offseason. Now look at the situation. Jets were clearly going CB in the fourth round.(going to get best one available)
    When raiders and Rams took the two highest CB prospect right before them, what did the Jets do. They traded back . They must have been pretty confident that Lowery would still be there(that how much his stocked dropped around the league
    NOw Jet fans are trying to convince themselve that they got the better player in Lowery over Branch. ONly IN jet fans little feeble Minds. Like K Clemens could be a franchise QB? Bender could be the longterm answer on Jets oline. LMAO You can't make this stuff up.

6. KSJets

KSJets New Member

You make up shit about the Raiders all the time. We're just following your lead.

7. Attackett

They were both picked in the 4th round and were rated pretty similarly heading into the draft. All Jets fans were talking about the possibility of trading down in the 4th to recoup the 5th they traded away. I seriously doubt the Jets traded down because they lost the chance at drafting Branch.

They are both 4th round rookies so for anyone to say one is better than the other in mid June reaks of ridiculousness, how bout they each make it through training camp before making these ridiculous claims.

I support the mentally challenged, I support Raiderjoke.

8. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Sorry but that is an ignorant statement. Justin King and Tyvon Branch were not rated similiarity to Dwight Lowery. Like I said Branch was climbing draft boards really fast and Lowery was taking a nosedive. Just because Jets had a need for a CB and took Dwight Lowery alot early than he should have gone. (clearly best CB that was left- scraps)
    Dosen't make them similair prospects.

Thats like Saying Brady Quinn was considered a similiar prospect as Jamarcus Russell .
    Sorry just like Quinn dropping like a rock. Confirms this. NObody consider Quinn on Russell level. There weas Russell and a big drop off to next level. Quinn was much closer to the second tier of Qbs. Lowery was not on Branch level, And you can bet if the Raiders didn't trade up and select Branch. HE probably would have been a Jet.

Thats Like saying when Falcons took Brett Favre one pick in front of Jets, that Jets thought Browning Nagle was a similiar prospect to Favre. Wake up and smell the coffee.

#48 Raiderjoe, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  9. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Give me a break. Now you are pronouncing a 4th round CB rookie drafted by the Raiders to be this great player? Neither has played a snap yet. They both were taken in the 4th for a reason. Oh yes, Branch is a future HOFer, because he flew up the draft board from the 6th round to the 4th, YIPPEE!!! If he was that great of a prospect he would have went earlier.

The fact is, pure and simple, Lowry and Branch and every other 4th rounder haven't played yet and have yet to prove anything. Any 4th rounder is lucky just to make an NFL team. So lets stop pronouncing either player to be a great find or a lost cause before we even see them on the field.

Lets TRY to be reasonable.

10. Attackett

After one year I feel alot better about Brady Quinn becoming a good Qb than I do Jamarcus Russell.

As for Branch, he was a second day prospect just like Lowery was. He went in the 4th round just like Lowery did. Lowery had a much better college career than Branch did as well. We will have to wait and see who has the better NFL career until they at least play one down in the NFL.

I support the mentally challenged, I support Raiderjoke.

11. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

YEa only the mentally challenged, like yourself would think that way.

Time for another football lesson on Ganggreen . Last one, as next time its going to cost you.

You do know there is a diffrence between college ball and Pro ball. Just because a guy was very sucessful in college, means he has the skills to be successful on the prolevel.(its a totally diffrent game)
    There is a reason why they have the Combine and why some very highly ranked college players, drop like a rock. Never to be heard from again.

Again T Branch and J king demonstrated by their combine and workouts that they were much better pro prospect than Dwight Lowery.(In scouts mind)
    Just because Jets were desperate for a CB, and Lowery was the only one left, they reached for him in the same round as King and Branch.
    Lowery can only play in a zone defense scheme and will never be more than a nickel CB.

12. Attackett

Dude, dont be mad because Brady Quinn will be a better pro QB than Jamarcus Russell. It is inevitable, we both know that.

13. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Learn to read. Show me where I professed branch to be a great player. All I said which is a fact, that scouts considered Branch and King to be much much better prospects than Dwight Lowery. For anyone trying to claim Jets got the better player in Lowery is just assinine. If Jets picked in front of the Raiders, you can bet both Branch or King would have went off their board first, before they even thought of Lowery.
    Simple- You don't have the required speed for a position and there i8s only so much a team can do with you.

Lowery is rather limited as he has to play in a zone defense. HE would get embarassed if he was asked to play man to man. Can we get an age check. This is not that hard for anyone who been watching football for sometime.

14. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

LMao. Yea Im livid. Im going to worry what some little punk ,who just started to watch football, thinks. You're entitled to your opinions, and just because you say something enough, dosen't make it right.

15. Attackett

Brady Quinn > Jamarcus Russell

Lets see, take it to the bank.

16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

your entitled to that opinion. Just say Hello to your Mom for me.

17. Attackett

Will do my man, I'm surprised you remember her from the short bus she used to drive you to school in.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Some tards have really good memories.

19. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Just like you've been claiming that the Raiders will have a winning season over and over?