Expect these NFL teams to miss the playoffs again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Jetscott

Jetscott New Member

How exactly is my argument stupid? Did anybody predict Derek Anderson would be an incredible QB? How about Tom Brady in 2001? Chad and Kellen are still, technically, better options than a host of other QBs. They're also worse options, on paper, than other QBs. I'm not saying our QB situation is great. What I'm saying is it doesn't suck. Now, as far as what did suck last year, you can go ahead and look at replays of our offensive line. I sincerely hope Brick gets better, but with Faneca on his side, I'm sure he will.

With a good-to-great defense and a top ten running game, a middle-of-the-pack quarterback will get you far. And based on what we know and what we might expect out of our QBs, middle-of-the-pack is a fairer judgment than "sucking."

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

A middle of the Pack Qb will get you a first round one and done playoff loss in the AFC. That anything can happen any given sunday is for the Nfc at the present time in Nfl History. In and AFC with the Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Jaguars, Steelers etc, etc you have to be good to get through the playoffs and on to the SB. Period! How many teams have won with middle of the pack Qb's in the last 20 years? The Bucs and Ravens and they had arguably two of the top three defenses to ever step on the field. Since we don't have anything resembling Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, John Lynch or Ed Reed that Game managing mediocre QB option does not work at the present time. We need somebody who can take control and win a game not play not to lose it.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Florio uses the word "expect" in the headline and then says "Predictions" and "Wild Guesses" in the article........ good going, Champ.

This should be ignored.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

+1

Its the QB who can put the game on their back, not throw INT late in the game, and perfect a 2 minute drill that gets you far into the playoffs.

Ask an NFL coach- my above statement is true.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Peyton Manning has been in the league 11 years. He's only won 1 super bowl. Tom Brady is another story and the exception which I'm not going to touch. Big Ben has been there once and won in 2006. Matt Hasselbeck hasn't been back since. Carson Palmer has been in the league 6 years and has yet to really win a Playoff game and just last year, Eli Manning looked mediocre (and on his way out of New York) up til last season and who would've thought he would take the Giants to a Super Bowl win over the 18-0 Patriots? All these QB's I'm sure we would take in a heartbeat over the guys we have now, yet they haven't had multiple SB appearances. Just as history is still being written, we should see where Clemens leads us before pulling the plug on the kid.

#65 rmagedon, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  6. FOURTHANDLONG

This statement is 100% true.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

With the exception of times like, ol' John Elway who could not manage to win one on his back alone. Or Gee... Dan Marino.

No statement is 100% true. Last season most saw Eli as a bum. So does the ring make the man under center? Personally, I still think he's average at best, but now with a ring everyone is going to argue he's elite.

The truth is you can win a Super Bowl with even an average QB. You just have to have a bit of luck and the right team around them. There are no guarantees, otherwise the Pats would not have went 18-1 with the immortal Tom Brady.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Right, but Marino and Elway did what I wrote above. That's why they are HOF QBs. Yes they didn't have the right team around them, and football is the ultimate team sport, but the impact of the QB is substantially more than the rest of the team. Thats why my opinionated requirements need to be met.

We had a QB in the first half of the season last year who did the opposite at times.

9. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Agreed. Look at David Garrard. He sure as hell was mediocre to me 2 years ago. Many people thought Del Rio made the biggest gamble in keeping him and dropping Byron Leftwich and now his decision paid off. That team on paper looks like it's ready to contend for a SB run if not this year, then the next couple of years for sure.

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

So you'd rather have a HOF QB who never goes to the Super Bowl, than have a mediocre QB who manages to get say, at least, 1 ring?

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

No, what I preach is I'd like a QB who can put the game on their back, not throw INT late in the game, and perfect a 2 minute drill that gets you far into the playoffs. Garrard does just that- he had 3 INTs last year. A QB who doesn't create turnovers. Garrard's running game assists him in doing well, but when the ball is in his hands he makes the right play, and the Jags flourished with him behind center.

I don't want a mediocre QB anymore... Plus, not many HOF QBs don't have rings (they at least got there once or more). At least I don't think they do.... I'll do HW on that.

Research - 20% of HOF don't have rings... the other 80% do... I'll take the chances of the HOF QB on the Jets and winning a SB at the same time. Modern Era QBs only.

#71 NDmick, Jun 2, 2008
  12. FOURTHANDLONG

I am one of the biggest Clemens supporters on this board. The fact that these guys are way better than what we have and have now won a Sb or even been just goes further to prove how important the man behind center is.

13. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

And you assessed that in the 8 games he had last year behind that line?

14. FOURTHANDLONG

When it was time to make the play (The Pass To Tyree) and bring the team down the field to throw the game winning T/D to Burress Eli stepped up and won the game. Elway and Marino had to do it during the time of the Niner's, Cowboys, Bills, etc, etc. Those two Qb left everything they had on the field and played to win. Not to manage a game. You do remember Elway's game winning drives and Marino's classic spike against us. Those guys gave all they had and came up short and that is all you can ask. There is no team you can stick #10 on at the present moment for him to win a Sb on. Maybe the Ravens or Bucs teams that won. That is it!

15. FOURTHANDLONG

Until such time as a defense the caliber of the Ravens or Bucs steps on the field we really don't have that option.

#75 FOURTHANDLONG, Jun 2, 2008
  16. FOURTHANDLONG

He went 3-4 behind that line and should have been 4-3 if not for a drop in the Redskin game. Kellen might not be the answer but Chad is definitely not. Either way we are not winning the Sb this year anyway so I think he should get a shot!

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

could have been 5-2 if they tied and won the Ravens game too.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Its funny because I thought other than picking up Keller, it was pretty much on spot for what they needed. When you need to replace a bunch of people it may come off as desperate to someone with an IQ of 80

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'd rather have a QB who isn't going to the HOF who can barely throw a 15 yard out being paid like a HOF qb who at best is backup material. Perfect scenario for building a SB team in the capped era.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yes you can win a superbowl with a mediocre QB. Sometimes pocket 2's outdraws pocket aces. More often than not, the aces are going to win though.

I'll take the aces any day of the week.