Jets Sign Danny Woodhead

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

Maurice Jones Drew, Warrick Dunn, Barry Sanders and Emmit, size is important at times but either you have skills or dont...On Sp. Teams and role players you have Don Beebe(went to same college), Tim Dwight and Darren Sproles..If the kid can play he will make something out of nothing

2. JetsLookingforDWare

Who cares about height?

A 5'7" guy who weighs 200+ pounds is not going to be small.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

If Danny Woodhead makes the team and does well, I'll eat my Jets jockey shorts. They are a Men's Small, but I'm prepared. In fact, I'd welcome it for once in my life.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Think your safe. For now :wink:

5. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

I got a feeling this kid will not only make the team but provide one big play a game where ever they put him. Returning or on the screen pass. This kid will be deadly on screens. The fact is to rack up that many yards on any level you have to have vision and speed. Same two things can help with returns and screens. If Leon can do damage on screens this kid can be a game breaker. Sound the alarms! This kid will be trouble for opposing teams. If he can return punts we probably have the deadliest return game in the NFL.

6. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

If Woodhead turns out to be 1/2 the player Steve Smith is, I would be thrilled. Hell, I hope he's a future 1st-ballot Hall of Famer.

As a lifelong Jet fan, I am cautioning myself, however, against raising the hopes for this kid to an absurd level. Let's see if he makes the team first before anointing him the next Maurice Jones-Drew.

7. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

That's definitely a more sensible outlook to take. As a lifelong fan myself (who now suffers permanent numbness due to various Jet related traumas and disappointments) I choose to embrace potential as it give me cause for at least a brief period of optimism before reality (i.e. the season) rudely dictates that I look at things more realistically.

As far as comparisons to MJD are concerned, Mojo is about an inch and a half shorter, about 5-7lbs heavier, is not quite as quick or agile but I think he's physically a heck of a lot more powerful than Woodhead who does not have the lower body strength and leg drive that MJD does. While Woodhead does not shy away from contact and gives a great effort, I can't see him being used in the NFL as an inside runner except on draws or misdirection plays whereas stopping Drew is like trying to catch a cannon ball in short yardage situations. I've never seen a running back who so frequently slams into would be tacklers only to bounce off them and disappear.

While Woodhead may end up being out of his depths in the NFL, I seriously doubt it. Barring injury and used properly, I think the kid has a great future.

8. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Woodhead's measurables other than his height are off the charts, and you can't argue with his production, DII or not. I hope he translates, he could be a major weapon for us if he does.

As far as him vs. Leon goes, I feel like Leon might be a bit more powerful down low while Woodhead's faster with better hands. Because of this, I could see Woodhead developing into more of a slot reciever type (as said above), especially with a backfield crowded by Jones, Leon, and Chatham.

9. jetophile

The Jets having weapons at all is an immeasurable idea. I feel woozy.

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Haha seriously. I'm probably getting overexcited again about a fringe prospect, but maybe we'll actually be an explosive team this year when he's on the field :eek:hmy:

I know, blasphemy :breakdance:

11. D2fan

D2fan New Member

I hardly ever saw him take a big shot in college. Too low to the ground and quick to take the huge shot. Yea, 202 on a 5'7 frame is alot.

12. jetophile

Haha, blasphemy. Blaspheme away.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Ooops Mr Bobblehead boobed

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Exactly what I was thinking...Atleast one good play a game from him. A few good plays from Brad Smith and LW. And hopefully Stuckey will be in act too. Maybe a bit too wishful but thats about all I can do in th off season.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Should we hold Jeto to this?

16. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

well he made the team but he didnt exactly do well

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Well he IS doing well, and she didn't necessarily mean for the Jets.

18. pisano24

pisano24 Member

I predict that we let him go and the Pats pick him up and he scores two touchdowns in his first two games with them... causing the Pats to think that they don't need Randy Moss so they trade him to the Vikes, right before we play them.

(originally posted in May 2010)

(I'm a liar)