Erik Ainge - inconsistency problem?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, May 5, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, I googled his scouting report. Google returned with a few scouting reports, and while each report varied to a degree, they all seemed to agree on two facets of his game:

1. He is inconsistent.
    2. He is not mobile.

Ultimately, when he is flushed out of pocket, he is as good as dead - he can't run with the ball, and his mechanics deteoriates completely since he is a very poor thrower when on the run.

--------------------------------------------------------

Did anybody actually watch his games while he was at Vols? Does this kid have a future here in New York? Or is he going to be a perennial backup? I'd like to know. Thanks.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You mean consistency problems?

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=tRZJPikxVhk&feature=related[/youtube]

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I never cared for him. He always looked like he'd make a nice career for himself as a designated clipboard carrier for an NFL team. I'm sure Ainge will start a game here or there and maybe stick around for a decade much like former greats Gale Gilbert, David Humm and Turk Schonert.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

All this can be explain by his lack of "wow" factor. He's not going to blow you away with his arm and he's still too young to be an expert NFL QB...but he just seems like such a coachable young QB with the tools to succeed...theres alot of the early Brady story in this guy and while it's not super exciting it does and probably will keep me interested.

I really think he's a better QB prospect than given credit for. Not in the sense that he should have been drafted Day 1, but he's the kind of guy I think a QB coach and HC would love to mold...

I honestly believe if a HC and a GM can stabilize a franchise and get their little assembly line started that QB development becomes much easier. Look at how the Pats brought Brady along...took him late...let him sit and learn behind a veteran...meanwhile the Pats installed the system...and come on if you draft a young, hungry QB with talent and he's backing up...he might know the playbook as well as some veterans...its just a matter of how he handles it. Guys like Brady...Hasselback...Derek Anderson kinda...Jay Fielder whenever McNabb is hurt...all backups who know the system and came into fundamentally sound situations for a young QB....all of them thrived in whatever role they've played for the most part.

He might be inconsistent now because he's a rookie 5th round QB who has this major perception that he's just not that good. Who knows where he ends up after Schott and Daboll work with him. Maybe he gets more confident. Maybe he doesn't.

He may not be Elway good or something, but thats not what matters sometimes...when you get down to it you want your QB to be able to know the playbook, read the D, and have the physical attributes to last. Ainge has the potential to do all 3, but we might not know 'til...well who really knows...this years?...next year? 2010?

6. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

ainge does have that "it" factor.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

But does he have that "wow" factor?

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

...Thats it?

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I came across some interesting read about him. Here's the link:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/04/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-series-tennesse-1.html

Based on what Cutcliffe had to say, his weakness can be compressed into two points:

1. His footwork is very spotty.
    2. his consistency - and his general accuracy of his passes - are suffering since he doesn't understand the big picture yet.

Surprisingly, Cutcliffe consistently says that Ainge has a big arm (scouting reports say Ainge has above average arm too, which is quite contrary to the general consensus of TGG.com) so if he can get his footwork down, it may improve his movement in the pocket and his general performance as well.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he's a 5th round pick for a reason, it will take 3 years of sitting and working on mechanics before he could probably see a field.

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

He dropped back over 500 times last year and was only sacked 3 times. So maybe he won't run like Vick, but he has good pocket awareness and escapability.

12. Quack

Quack New Member

Erik Ainge - Incontinence problems?

13. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I am a Vols fan. I did not like Ainge a few years ago and to be honest didn't like him much this year. But the point is that he does have a fairly good arm and when he is on, he is ON.
    I always said to my boys that he would someday make a good QB in the NFL.

He does have issues one week and not the next hence the "inconsistent" label. If he can fix that problem and I don't know how one does...

I wouldn't worry about him being a quality starter in the NFL in the right system with the right coaches. Also, Cutcliffe is a phenomenal QB Coach/OC--Peyton at Tenn and Eli at Ole Miss...

14. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Ainge has no problem with being inconsistent. In fact, he's very good at being inconsistent.

15. V. Gholston

V. Gholston New Member

he is consistent IMO.

He just has a weak arm for a guy his size.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Watch more video and read more analysis. The guy gets knocked for his arm, which looks perfectly lively in the clip WSW posted.

He throws a bulls eye pass on a rope, while on a bootleg. His feet are a little happy even though his protection was pretty good, but that can be coached. It's hard to comment on his consistency as I've only seen clips of him.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Me thinks you don't understand how important the "it" factor is. If a guy doesn't have the "it" factor, why would Jah even let him live?

18. V. Gholston

V. Gholston New Member

I did see some Ten games this year and watched the senior bowl. I should clarify, his arm is weak but it just isn't what you would expect for a man his size.

Still, I like him as a prospect.

19. Quack

Quack New Member

Ainge has a bit of the "it" factor. It is the "wow" factor that he's missing.

20. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

Past results are no indication of future performance..

Who knows what late round pick will become a champion (Brady) or first round pick will bust (Leaf) ?

If given a chance, Ainge could just as easily become the next Namath as he could the next Nagle.
    I just hope we see a lot of him in the pre-season.