My response to being called "Draft Losers" by Scott Wright on nfldraftcountdown.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ReservoirDog76, May 2, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It appears we tried like hell to trade down and couldn't do it. Otherwise it wouldn't have taken more than 9 minutes to get the pick in. We wanted Long or McFadden. We couldn't get that done either.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What is he suppose to say? We really didn't want him but had no choice at that point? I'm hoping he becomes a great player for this team. All I'm saying is that he wasn't the player we wanted with our first pick. Everything you read says the Jets wanted Long, McFadden and Flacco. They got none of them. That is why the perception as been made that the Jets were losers. It has nothing to do with how the players they took will work out over the next couple of years.

#42 Don, May 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

They could have waited the 7 minutes to get the pick in so that they left all their options open. It doesn't mean that they absolutely wanted to do one thing or the other. The truth is all we can do is speculate, and probably not all that accurately.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don, I always love to watch you grasp like hell to make a point. It's why I thought you were rajensen088 for so long. Now you're using THE FREAKING 9 MINUTES THEY TOOK TO MAKE THE DRAFT PICK. Pathetic.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Links. Links. Links.

I don't think I've read a single one of your draft related posts and thought "this guy *isn't* making this up."

Who said we only had a pool of 3 players we wanted?

Who said we even tried to trade up for Flacco?

Basically, who said anything you just said?

Some reporter from somewhere?

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I am sorry kind sir. Your post is completely based off of a false premise and as such is 100% erroneous.

Your one gigantic mistake is using the bolded word in relation to said poster(s). Please, in the future for us to take you seriously, never ever make that false presumption again.

7. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Tanny (as well as most GMs) has always said that he will wait until the clock is almost up in case someone comes with a crazy trade offer. Why do you think the draft always takes so long? GMs are checking and waiting so see if other teams want to make moves.

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Let me say I hate when we draft combine workout wounders. I was pissed when we drafted Robertson and from day one I said so. Well he is gone. I didn't like when we drafted Thomas and within a year he also will be gone. Replaced by someone too much like him.

I predict Gholston will never be an impact player and far from a probowl caliber one.
    He will get bullied at DE by the big offensive linemen because his size and he will be beat by TE/WR at OLB because of his lack of experience and lateral ability.

Just like Hobson and Vilma, Gholston will serve out his contract, collect his big salary and be gone. I say Groves who was a second round pick will be better than Gholston. Quentin Groves has quicker feet and more natural ability.

And yes we could have traded down and got Flacco but we were too greedy and wanted too much for the 6th pick.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You need to do more HW....

I'll ask you this question: What do you think of Jake Long?

If i'm right in what i think will be your response, i will prove your post incorrect, and shed light on our new draft pick.

As for Vilma taking his salary and leaving, perhaps you were uninformed about his knee injury and the transformation to a defense that he is more than ill-suited for. Hobson, however... blows.

Trade down and get Flacco but we were too greedy?? This isn't madden or a fantasy draft. You can't just "trade down" with ease. GMs won't trade into the top 5-8 due to the money and high risk factor. It takes alot to trade down, the Pats got lucky with New Orleans because Ellis would have been taken by the Bengals.

Gholston was a top 10 pick before the combine, all the combine did was move him up 4 spots, big deal. DRob moved up about 15-20.

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I feel the only positions worth top ten draft money are CB, MLB, RB and of course QB. Players get two much money for the job the do. The top teams would rather pay a proven veteran than draft an unkown rookie. The four positions mentioned are the ones that make or break a ateam and are very hard to come by when you talk probowl ability.

The only people worth that kind of money are the ones who have already proven themselves or can have a chance to change the whole play of a team.

So unless you are looking for that franchize QB, RB or defensive player to build your defense around, stay away from the top ten in the draft.

To answer the question, not even Orlando Pace in his prime would be worth over $11M a year. No DL or OL is worth that kind of money. The lines are only as strong as the weakest link. I can count the number of player in the NFL worth $10M a year on one hand and no rookie would be even close. And every one of those guys do have SB rings.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so skill position players are worth a lot more than the lineman?.... thats not how you build a team.

The 4 positions mentioned, minus QB, are not what make or break a team. If a coach read your opinion he'd disagree.

Also, do yourself a favor and go look at the draft history over the past few years, you'll see that Linemen are taken in the top 5 alot... making your logic flawed, or NFL GMs are retarded by your standards. You can count the players worth 10 Mill on one hand? I can count about 12 based on salary alone, forget about talent. You don't understand how salaries rise every year as well, which make the 11 Million seem more than it is. Just wait until there is no cap- your head will explode at what players are going to get.

#51 NDmick, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  12. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

MP...How are you buddy. I have a terrible habit of injecting logic into discussions..even when my logic is boderline off the wall.

Still, I like to go there...sit under the logic tree..and wonder how a team didnt want to take a player but did anyway. Bird shit..thats all I get from the damn logic tree every time I ask that question.

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Well, there was a rumor going around that the Colts were ready to swap their first round pick with the Jets and send Manning and Harrison to the Jets. The Jets waited...but heard rumors of the gun charges that were going to be brought up on Harrison..and then they decided to go with the pick they really wanted.

(Don...two can play this game).

Personally, I too, love when my GM is so excited about who is going to pick and as soon as they get on the clock, he runs and trips over himself to get the pick in, in the first 30 seconds.

That pissed me off too.