Dustin Keller = BUST (merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Apr 26, 2008.

1. mudman

mudman New Member

Kudos to the FO today for continuing what has been a very good offseason in addressing some glaring weak spots......

Find fix for Weak OL interior? Check.
    Find fix for Weak DL interior? Check.
    Find fix for Weak Pass Rush? Check. And Check!
    Find fix for stretching the middle of the field to free up our quality WRs on the outside? Check.

Suddenly we arent staring at so many weaknesses anymore......or didnt you notice? :up:

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'd like everyone on this board who had knowledge of Dustin Keller Before the draft to post saying they did-- I have a feeling you guys will be the same praising this pick.... Those with no idea who he is are the ones complaining of a bust.

3. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Dont think it was terrible but with Devin Thomas on the board its tough to take a Tight End over him.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm not knocking the pick because I love all our picks until they actually get on the field. This pick just seems to have Bradways finger prints all over it. This post you wrote was almost exactly what was said on this board when we made the Jolly trade and I was convinced up until Jolly actually hit the field. Unless we are planning on running an empty backfield with another blocking TE we still don't have a line that will keep our QB clean enough to get the ball down the field, that is of course if Clemens is actually the QB.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I never heard of him. But he looks great on film.

I am reserving judgement. Others could do the same, but hey, that's the Jet fanbase for you.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

But thats an intelligent move from you. You reserved judgment due to lack of knowledge. I praise you for that. Fellow TGG posters- take note.

7. SUorangefootball

SUorangefootball New Member

You are about the dumbest person alive for even making a comparison between the guy drafted this year and the players taken between 8-15 years ago, none of which have any comparable physical tools. By your insane logic if the Jets took Antonio Gates in the first round he'd be a bust because they once drafted other guys who had only average NFL careers (or in Mitchells case a complete bust). Please do your self a favor and stop giving Jet fans a bad name.

8. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Dustin Kellen not a bust

Look Baker wants out, we had no depth at TE and this guys is pretty damned good for a TE, he's got great hands, fast as hell, and can take a hit. Just check out his youtube videos. This also makes me think Chad is going to be our starter this year.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Talk about buzz kill.

10. njjet

njjet Member

I have no problem with Keller. I'm just perplexed about trading up. We can use as many player as possible. Is Keller worth a draft pick? I would liked a WR. :jets:

11. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

are you guys serious?...this was a great pick...they made a great point onESPN...has Dallas Clark given the Pats trouble?...YES.....how about Gates, Witten, Gonzales...Keller fits the mold of these guys, hell open it up for our wrs...and he can catch and be a great threat and another dimension this offense hasnt had

12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

But can he block? Baker was a halfway decent blocker.

13. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Looks great on film. Looks awesome. Have problem drafting him so high in fact trading down 4 him. A good pick 4 maybe the 3rd or 4th. Rated #1 TE. My feeling id that we will not drart CP or KC replacements this year and they have committed to CP or KC this year 2 geter done. More of a move 4 CP than KC. Looks like they already know its CP.( aka nodldle arm ) I hope not but re-evaluate the move.

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Holy crap he is fast. You don't see guys that big move that fast.

Damn though, our first two picks had great seasons, but got in the first round based on their combine numbers.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Dallas Clark is the only close comparison, and he's a little bigger, although no where near as fast. The other three are more prototypical tightends.

16. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

The more I watch his film the more I like the pick. Bye Baker.CP in default?

17. 624

624 Banned

At first I was pissed about this pick...now I love it. I also see many people on this board saying the same thing.

18. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

19. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

i agree totaly

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was high on Mangini before 2006 because he was a breath of fresh air in a franchise that desperately needed that breath after watching Bradway and Herm slowly choke the life out of the franchise. We got a nice first season out of him and my opinion felt justified to me.

I was high on Mangini pre-free agency in 2007 because the Jets had over-achieved under his watch in 2006, becoming the first over-achieving Jets team since 1998. That high slowly dissipated as I watched the bad moves start rolling in in free agency. It vanished nearly completely when he decided a 4 man draft, none of them in the fronts, would suffice even with the evidence accumulating that the Jets were going to be overmatched on the line of scrimmage.

I am down on Mangini now because I haven't seen anything to suggest to me that he's even an average coach in the last season's results. I've seen a lot that suggests he's clueless, from his failure to correctly evaluate the Jets real weaknesses going into last season to his inability to manage the QB situation to even a few wins against bad teams early in the season.

Today's draft was just an enormous reinforcer for me given the Jets current weaknesses and the fact that the player projected as most likely to drop due to other teams unhappiness with him was actually the player who fell to the Jets. No choice. You take Gholston and hope he's the player you think he is. The trade back into the first round was just a loser move. There's no way that it turns out to be good for the Jets who will now enter the season having drafted just 9 players over 2007 and 2008. That's a development that even good teams have problems with down the road and the Jets aren't remotely close to being a good team at this point.

You don't like how I've moved around on Mangini over the last two years? Fine. I don't like how you've apparently maintained the same lockstep devotion to him despite the fact that last year was one of the Jet's worst seasons in 30 years. This year isn't going to be much better in my opinion.