Dustin Keller, our new TE- Welcome to New York

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by notjustQBs, Apr 26, 2008.

1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I'm not really seeing him as a TE. 4.5 is downfield speed, he looks like a possession receiver with the speed to break long runs every once in a while. Clocked at the same speed as Limas Sweed, and 30lbs heavier. He's a converted reciever in college, and should be the kind of guy you can move around between 3 different positions.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember right after Hackett left, every TE on the roster complained that they never got any reps in practice.

3. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

THis guy is a beast.

After taking into consideration what Kiper said.....None of the Wr's that were available could get off the line of scrimmage if jammed.

The highlight film clearly demonstrates that Keller will not have no such a problem. He is exceptionally fast, and built more like a tall RB than a wr.

Interesting pick by us...excellent scouting and creativity....kudos too our FO...

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's what I was thinking, this kid is going to be split wide a lot in motion.

5. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I don't think they would trade up for a TE and then not use him. Remember Schottenheimer did coordinate an offense featuring Antonio Gates out in SD. Maybe Baker is just not as good as some think, and really doesn't get open very often?

6. KERRYRHODES25

KERRYRHODES25 New Member

we have chansi stuckey and we can move keller to the slot and put bubba at te

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Keller. Heres hoping you can be the red zone threat that we need badly.

8. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

If nothing else, hopefully this means Shottenjunior is getting back to the crazy pre-snap motion stuff that worked so well two years ago.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Baker has great hands but is slow and never gets seperation. Highly over rated player.

10. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I've been saying that all week about Baker...

11. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

As Per ESPN Insider:

No tight end in this year's class projected as a first-round pick in our opinion, making this pick a reach. One of the biggest knocks on Keller is that he's probably never going to develop into an excellent in-line blocker. Also, he doesn't have the frame to add a lot of bulk without sacrificing his greatest strength: his speed. However, Keller certainly has the athletic ability, versatility and burst to make an immediate impact as a receiver. He will be a tough matchup for opposing defenses; his size can cause enormous problems for defensive backs and most linebackers are going to have problems turning to run with him.

So i was pretty upset with the pick initially too, however, after reading a bit on him and researching him on the internet, it seems like this guy has the potential to be pretty good. he has 4.5 speed and great hands. it seems like he might be looked at as more of a 3rd (big) receiver then TE or may be used with bubba or chris in two TE sets. if that's the case he could be a HUGE weapon seeing as how the LB's simply are not covering this guy and he is considerably bigger then most DB's. I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised!

12. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

And yet they get used just about as much with their new teams as they did here. It's interesting that Becht followed Hackett to Tampa Bay as well.

13. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Makes no sense... Especially after bringing in Franks already... We have decent TE talent, and good depth, and we trade up and sacrifice a valuable pick for a skinny TE?

Not happy with this first day at all...

14. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

this is no Skinny TE... watch his video and look at his measureables

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I remember we traded for Jolley and never really used him on offense, and we never used Baker much either, in fact TE have always been very low on the totem pole here when it comes to offensive threats.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

JUST WATCH HIM here

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ6FyfHL2o[/youtube]

and heres a conversation with him here at the combine..
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zULN4f_IL1U[/youtube]

THE MOST ATHLETIC player at the NFL combine

17. Khan

Khan Active Member

Good depth? Like who? Besides Franks, we have the guy named Chris Baker that probably won't be here come training camp?

18. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He's a great athlete, but he's not going to be an asset, and seemingly a probably liability, when it comes to blocking... I wouldn't have protested to the pick at 36, but forfeiting a mid-round pick? Not good....

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This is a good player. I saw him play a little against Ball State, he had a really impressive catch and run in that game. The kid could be the best WR/TE in the draft. He's good. I just don't think it was worth moving up for him or anyone. As much as we rag on Br4dwaySux, he's not wrong. Trading up is bad two years running.

20. Youth Is Served

Youth Is Served New Member

Your right that the Jets never use a TE that way. But that was mainly because we have HAD to keep our TE's in for additional blocking. Keller is an exceptional player. He was not drafted for his blocking we have Baker and Franks for that. A much improved O-Line and a solid rushing attack will open up some lanes for a TE with the talents of Keller to slip in. He was the best pass catcher that was available and everyone seems to forget about Stuckey being the Jets 3rd WR. Think about some packages with Baker in for additional blocking and Keller running out of the slot with Coles and Cotch out wide.

Schott will begin to open up this offense again.

Youth?