Wade Smith, backup NYJ center, to CHIEFS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by notjustQBs, Apr 21, 2008.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Smith backed up Schotty?

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Lol, that was good. Something I would have said.

I am so used to writing OG and OT, that sometimes I write OC without thinking.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I understand that, but my point had nothing to do with drafting players high. It has to do with keeping the quality depth that you do find. New England, Indy, SD, they don't change their backup OL players every year. Chemistry on the OL is very important, and that includes the 2nd stingers that might have to come in during the year.

Now it is possible that Smith wanted to start and didn't see an opportunity here. It is also possible they have something in mind for the draft. But looking at that list of backups you put up, it doesn't instill confidence in me if one of the starters go down. It is not a MAJOR loss, but it certainly isn't a positive that Smith is gone. But I have faith in this FO, so I will wait and see.

And no I NEVER meant that we needed to draft 1st rounders for depth on the OL, just keep the good ones that we find.

#23 dabrowsk1, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Woody won superbowls playing center. I honestly think backup center was the least of their worries. If you want to read into this, I see the Jets taking a RT in the first 3 rounds.

5. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Actually Woody played RG with NE and played RG with Detroit until the final 6 games where he played RT. He might have stepped in at C when someone got hurt, but I don't think so.

In any case Woody cannot play 2 positions at once. I can't definitely see the FO taking a RT early on. I am a fan of Cherilus, but I don't think it is going to happen. However, if they draft a RT, shift Woody to RG and put Moore as a backup. That still doesn't leave much in terms of a backup C. I don't know, we'll see I guess.

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

From wikipedia. Honestly dude this took 5 seconds to google.

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Honestly dude did you ever hear of making a mistake? He played RG and RT for Detroit, and I thought I read he played RG with NE. I was wrong, was it really necessary to be an ass about it? Because I just looked back at my post and I wasn't argumentative in the least.

In any case, the point of post was the same, How is he supposed to play RT and C at the same time? So you shift Woody over to C, and play Bender at RT. After what I saw from Bender, he doesn't seem ready to me and more of a future RG anyway. Like I said it seems thin to me with Smith gone, but we'll see, I trust that the FO knows what it's doing.

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Not trying to be an ass, but try not to correct anybody so fast without looking first. I like your posts most of the time, and was just giving you a little nudge. Try not to take offense, because none was intended.

And to answer other part of your question, The C they let go was expendable due to Woody. And yes, Bender ideally will come around, but I still expect a mid-round draftee for RT depth.

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

:rofl:

let's not get crazy. he's mediocre, at best. I'm sure we'll have someone (mediocre or better [ie. Woody]) backing up Woody (RT) or Mangold for Center duties.

10. SixteentoSeven

SixteentoSeven New Member

best time to fix OL depth is after the June 1st veteran casualty cap cutdown.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think you develop good OL, people don't normally throw away the good stuff -- I agree with Dabrowsk1 on this one.

Callahan hopefully will have some input on the subject -- too bad nobody has interviewed him since he took the job with the NYJs.

It would be most interesting to get some of his insights now, and also later once he's had a chance to see a little trial by fire in the OTAs.