On the clock .... what do you do? (draft question)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Spike_D, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You are almost as bad as raiderjoe. Kerry Rhodes is not the best safety in football. Most non-Jet fans have no idea who Kerry Rhodes is.

In my opinion, Rhodes is one of the best players on the Jets, but he isn't the best in the league.

Bob Sanders won Defensive MVP for many reasons. I don't give a damn if he's injury prone. He's the best right now. Ed Reed had 7 INTs last season...most people wouldn't call that a "drop off".

You're a homer. It's cool. There are a lot of those here...they are known as the Pro-Chad Pennington guys.

4. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Your a typical fan who discriminates against your own players in an effort to be "objective". You have absolutely no appreciation for the talents of Revis and you certainly have no appreciation for Rhodes. Try watching Jets games rather than catching the highlights on ESPN.

Rhodes is a rare talent and I wouldnt hesitate taking him ahead of Bob Sanders or Ed Reed.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Helllll no.

I would take Kerry Rhodes over Bob Sanders any day of the week. He's better in coverage, better at rushing the passer, and he actually stays on the field. He didn't deserve that DPOY award either...Ware, Kearney, Allen, and even Mario Williams would have gotten my vote over him off the top of my head.

Rhodes right now is a top 5 safety, and arguably the top one under 28.

#25 JetsLookingforDWare, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Why, Hell Man, you just do the best you can -- with a rationally well-informed guess...!

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I ripped you a new one and you're mad...it's going to be okay.

Unlike you, I watch EVERY team. I'm more of a college football fan, but I was raised to be a Jets fan, and that's what I am. I follow the draft closely, and I follow certain players throughout their careers. It's all part of being a football fan.

I know who the best players are, and I don't overrate the players on my favorite team. That's what you're doing...overrating certain players because they are on your favorite team -- so you're the typical fan. I'm not. I've lived all over the country, and god knows they don't like to televise Jets' games...but I've gone out of my way to get DirectTV's Sunday Ticket so I can watch my favorite team through its ups and downs over the years.

Don't try to tell me that I don't appreciate the talent of the players on the Jets. I appreciate it...there just isn't much right now. I like what Mangini and Tannenbaum are doing. Alan Faneca is the best talent we've seen in a long time, and he's an offensive lineman.

Kerry Rhodes is not the best safety in football, but he is towards the top.

Our players are not nearly as PROVEN as the one's that I listed earlier...Take off your green shades.

8. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...Bob Sanders won Defensive MVP for many reasons. I don't give a damn if he's injury prone. He's the best right now. Ed Reed had 7 INTs last season...most people wouldn't call that a "drop off"..."

I would like to say that the benefits of Mr. Sanders are rationally offset by his frequent injuries. He literally "throws himself into his job."

The performance of our Kerry Rhodes does not require the same suicidal tactics to achieve success in the same frequency that Mr. Sanders pays for his good plays with his various body parts.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's not better than Bob Sanders RIGHT NOW. Sanders proved he was the best this season. He won Defensive MVP. Kerry Rhodes didn't even make the Pro-Bowl...and people around here use the term "snub". Sure, he's got plenty of talent and he's a top 5 safety, but he's got nothing on a healthy Bob Sanders.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would probably take Leodis McKelvin...we still need a young CB opposite Revis esspecially if they want to may more man coverage (which they have said they want to do)

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

But Mr. Sanders cannot stay healthy if he is sacrificing his body to make plays.

Since this is his modus operandi, you are in ad hominem, MrElectric...

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sanders plays the game the way it's supposed to be played...with reckless abandon. He was voted and recognized as the best defensive player in this league. No one is better.

I can use the Defensive MVP fact all day. It proves that he is the best.

13. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

There is no question that a young CB with speed, skills, and trainability is the best draft success we can hope for -- another "Revis" success.

14. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Yes, well, what is left of him is quite good, I'm sure you are right.

I would say, however, that on the whole, I would prefer a safety who was able to stick around for 16 full games and perform at a high level.

Mr. Sanders feels he must OVERACHIEVE in order to fulfill his role in an otherwise wait-and-see defense that is not as impressive as its offensive counterpart.

15. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

May I also say that, in my opinion, these Colts are ripe for the taking by a vicious OL and a rapacious DL.

Hopefully, this is our 08 objective.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

In 2007, Rhodes started all 16 games and made 67 tackles, with 2 sacks and 5 interceptions. Rhodes directed a defense that was horrible against the run, and did okay against the pass...because most teams were running all over the Jets' defense. He made little to no impact in most games and the Jets missed the playoffs by many, many games. I blame the offense, and the front seven...but Rhodes didn't help out that much, did he?

Bob Sanders missed ONE game in 2007 and made 96 tackles, with 3.5 sacks and 2 interceptions. Sanders led one of the BEST defenses in league. The Colts made the playoffs.

I know Sanders has been seriously injured in past seasons, but when he stays moderately healthy, he's the best. He proves it on every snap.

#36 Mr Electric, Mar 12, 2008
  17. JetsLookingforDWare

That is some seriously flawed logic there.

Rafael Palmiero won a GG in '99 playing like 15 games there. Sanders is an impact player no doubt, but all those guys were far more productive. All had more sacks, more forced fumbles, more tackles for loss, but I'm guessing less "intangibles" like HEART, FIRE, "playing the game the right way," and other various cliches.

BTW: The fact you have is that he was voted the Defensive MVP. That doesn't actually make him the best defensive player, since on-field production is more valuable than awards tainted on media perception/hype.

Still wouldn't take him over Rhodes either.

#37 JetsLookingforDWare, Mar 12, 2008
  18. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I do not think that Rhodes was responsible for all the "flaws" you are citing here.

I think that Rhodes is one of the 11 guys on defense, to be sure. However, the failings of this particular defense you cite, are shall we say outside his purview.

Just because someone is part of something does not make them the AUTHOR of it.

In this case, I would say that the mediocrity of the NYJ defense did not hold Rhodes' performance back.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The coaches and players of the league voted Bob Sanders Defensive MVP. It's not "tainted". He had plenty of production in 2007.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Law Degree?