On the clock .... what do you do? (draft question)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Spike_D, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Long, Gholston, Mcfadden are gone ..... potential trade down partners are waffling or not willing to cough up enough value ....time is ticking down ...you have to make a pick ... who do you take & why?

I say Loedis McKelvin CB to complete the secondary. Gifted athlete who would, paired with Revis, give the Jets a shutdown pair of corners not seen in the AFC East since Madison & Surtain wreaked havoc for the hated Fins.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Are you kidding me?

3. maglex

maglex Member

Both Long's are gone?

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I recommend we meltdown ? la the 2003 Vikings and let time expire.

5. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

trade noodle, draft flacco, or a wr with speed like kelly .

6. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Yes both Longs ... sorry I was not more specific. Matt Ryan as well ... assuming we would not take either of the top two DTs.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Hey if you let time expire then we can pick when we want.. and then sign that draft pick as like the 11th overall pick instead of the 6th and not pay them as much.. I choose voluntary trade down.

8. Quack

Quack New Member

I don't know who this guy is but I like the way he thinks.

9. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Mike Jenkins CB...Univ. of South Fla......The best shut down CB in the draft.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I think taking CB at 6 is a very real possibility but I would GREATLY prefer Rodgers Cromartie.

11. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

I agree- definitely take a cornerback, probably McKelving because of his return ability

12. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry....With The 6th pick...The NY Jets' select from LSU....Glenn Dorsey.

The Jets' have lucked up if this happens. He is the playmaker & emotional leader that they need.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He doesn't fit the 3-4. He supposedly has some sort of injury that will only let him play a few years in the league. He'd be a wasted pick even if the injury thing turns out to be false.

Trade out. I don't care if the "value" isn't even...if it's a somewhat even trade, you have to trade out.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I know you and I disagree on whether or not Ben Utecht has stone hands....but I defenitly agree with you on this one, my friend.

The best thing that can happen to the Jets is a "tradeout" of the 6th spot.

15. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

I would take Sedrick Ellis, i know you "where does he fit in the 3-4" but i think he could fit nicely as a 3-4 end, he gets good penetration and can hold the point of attack, either mcshay or mayock said he could play nt, but having him at end would let him use his athleticism.

16. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

The Jets dont have to trade out. They only trade out if they get great value for their pick. Otherwise they take the best available cornerback out of Cromartie or McKelvin. This is especially true because the Patriots will be looking to draft the best cornerback, so its obviously nice to take that player off the board.

If the Jets "had" to take a cornerback at 6, it would be fine by me. Pair up an elite talent with Revis and the secondary is tops in the NFL. In addiition, if we draft McKelvin (considered top return man in the country), our special teams would be unstoppable.

I know electric is gonna tell me that Elam is a weak spot- But again I ask, if we draft McKelvin or Cromartie- Heading into 2008, Which team's secondary would be more talented than the Jets?

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Cowboys, the Ravens, the Colts, the Chargers, the Packers, and maybe the Vikings, the Broncos, and the Seahawks will have better secondaries.

You don't know if Rodgers-Cromartie or McKevlin will be successful in the NFL. Any player can be a bust. You can't call the secondary the best in the league with a rookie corner starting opposite, a second year player in Darrelle Revis and some scrub like Abram Elam starting opposite Kerry Rhodes. You also have to look at the Jets' depth in the secondary...there isn't any.

#17 Mr Electric, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  18. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

The only team I might agree with is the Chargers. The rest of the teams you mentioned, I believe their starting secondaries would be inferior (talent wise) to the Jets starting secondary if they drafted McKelvin or Cromartie.

But its obviously all subjective so no real way to win the argument.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Ravens: Ed Reed (most talented safety in the league) and Dawan Landry at Safety
    Chris McCalister and Samari Rolle at CB.

Colts: Bob Sanders (MVP) and Antoine Bethea (Pro Bowler) at S
    Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden at CB

Cowboys: Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin at S
    Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry at CB

You cannot say that the Jets secondary is the most talented in the NFL. That's just stupid.

We have TWO good players in the entire secondary. A rookie isn't going to put us over the top. You are just a homer.

20. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

This is all subjective and going nowhere. But anyway-

I would take Kerry Rhodes over every other safety in football. Ed Reed is getting older and his production has been in decline. Bob Sanders is injury prone. Its not a homer thing to say that Kerry Rhodes is the best safety in football. Hes a leader of his defense, hes a consistent performer and his statistics in 2006 (while playing on a shitty defense) said he was the best safety in all of football.

In addition, I would take Revis over the top corner from any of the teams you've mentioned except mabye Cromartie from San Diego.

Throw in a big time talent in McKelvin or Cromartie and its not a homer thing to say that a trio that consists of Rhodes, Revis and McKelvin or Cromartie would enable the Jets to reasonably say that they have the most talented secondary in all of football.