Chad WILL Be The Starter. Again.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Mar 4, 2008.

1. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

These stats were meaningless. The OLs were very different. Chad did not call the plays, and he did not set the "play not to lose" strategy under Edwards.

Besides, you give far too much blame or credit to the QB for all these W-L stats.

2. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

With Berrian, Stallworth and Moss spoken for, I fear that the only thing that awaits us in the FA market when it comes to the WR position are other teams' cast-offs. Not enough to make a material impact this season. But the draft does hold some promise. I wouldn't be displease at all if we were to pick-up someone like James Hardy (or a physical facsimile of him except without the character issues), a tall speedy receiver who can successfully run those end zone fade routes.

One thing that picking Gholston over McFadden does is it impacts the team positively with only minimum restructuring in order to accomodate the incoming rookie. Gholston represents an instant upgrade and increased depth in our Front 7 without out any heavy shuffling of those around him. On the other hand, McFadden's arrival will lead to re-defining roles in the offensive backfield. What exactly do you do with a RB who gains over 1,000 yards running behind an atrocious OL. You certainly don't cast him off without seeing how effective he could be running behind a much-improved and revamped OL.

Some people may argue that both McFadden and TJ can be in the same backfield with DMC playing the role of a "Reggie Bush" splitback. Sounds good, right? But if the team isn't a proponent of the vertical game, it just means less real estate for the WR and DMC to operate in. In this regard, I hope that I'm totally wrong.

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Being frustrated with lack of performance is one thing.

Blaming the guy holding the torch when everybody else on his team is shooting their fire hoses watering down everything they can see is more like it.

Please understand that a QB starts after the LINE does its job.

If the LINE does not do its job, then no skill player (and that includes the QBs) has a chance in hell.

I think it has been a while (since Curtis got almost 1,700 yards in 04) that we had a line that was functional.

Look -- if you want play action passes to work (which take less time and are more efficient than the 'get-out-of-the-way-Ah'm-agoin'-for broke!' brand of devil-may-care offense) you have to pass block AND run block well. It just so happens that because we had a smart-as-hell quarterback, Edwards (though he was cowardly in doing it) and Mangini both decided to go with the play action pass strategy.

Oh gosh -- that means you have to have an OL that opens holes for the RBs, and can pass block well too. Oh, well.

I know a lot of you guys can get the picture of doing more than one thing at the same time so that there may be some indecision inspired in the defense.

So, why not take a look at what's really been happening, instead of studying that CRT or that HD 16 by 9 so carefully...?

4. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Speed is the asset of youth, typically, so I hope that we find and sign some SPEED in the DRAFT.

It is more important to get some OUTSIDE SPEED from the DRAFT, than it is to worry about what the Kipers-of-the-world think of the "Draft Prospects".

Steve Smith for example was a man who understood his limitations and he took advantage of that knowledge (note the NY G-Men's benefit thereof).

Let's get some big fast man who is smart enough to not run until he's beaten the DB with his guile.

Now there are those in the Draft.

We can find them. They may not have run a 4.1 Forty (how many 40 yards before catch completed passes do we see in the NFL?) at the COMBINE, but then, maybe that wasn't a bad idea on their part.

What about the Draft guy who is trying to "GUIDE HIMSELF" to the team he wants to play for?

What a wild idea...

5. Konodmb41

Konodmb41 New Member

i don't know how anyone can say kellen is pathetic and not have the patience to see how he does with a solid oline after seeing how long it took eli manning to become a solid qb

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I was going to stay out of this thread as I can not see how anyone with half a brain can sit here and tell me that Chad gives the Jets a better chance of winning. Especially considering he can not throw the ball consistently 10 yards downfield. By consistently I mean more than 3 times in a game.

I am not going to go the noodle arm or BS route but he is the weakest armed QB I have ever seen and his intangibles are just putrid nowadays.

The biggest farce here is, Jet fans, tired of mediocrity, are championing one of the most mediocre players this team has ever had............. oh the irony.

me?di?o?cre (md-kr)
    adj.
    Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary. See Synonyms at average.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

By exaggerating FACTS, don't you think you've nullified the validity of your argument? There are plenty of other sheep on this board too.
    Yet at the same time, there are plenty of informed Jets fans who can actually state their case for Chad NOT being the starter without raising the same tired and old ridiculous comments of this sort.

8. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Hyperbole much?

Great, another individual who downplays the intelligence of others if they disagree with him.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people that are in favor of giving Chad a chance at the QB job next season are a bit more intelligent than you give them credit for.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

You are correct............ sorry Italian Seafood. Other than that I will stick by my initial statement.

I said it once and will say it again........ this love for a mediocre at best QB is borderline absurd. He stinks and is no longer an NFL QB.

Yeah I can see how you say he gives the Jets the best chance to win, especially winning 1 game last year to K Clemens, a 2nd year inexperienced player, 3 wins..... :rolleyes:

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL wow nice try.

Yeah I know I am ill informed.

Show me a game where he consistently made a 10 yard out, without getting picked. Show me a game where he can consistently hit the slot receiver. How about a deep out? How about a sideline pass in a 2 minute drill? How about a slant pattern?

Show me the games last year where he consistently made any of those passes? You know passes that a normal NFL QB could and should make.

Until then I would rather be known as an "exaggerating ill informed" fan instead of a delusional one.

Edit: I read you original post. You are clearly a fan of the player not the team. All reasonable fans of the team do not hate Chad. Most real fans do not call him "noodle arm" and have never used such a stupid name. Most fans are objective when it comes to a player that just can not perform at a decent level any longer. Chad never did anything to me personally and has always carried himself like a player should. However, I do not owe any loyalty to him for acting like a professional. He got paid as such and as such I will call a spade a spade. He is no longer capable of being an NFL QB. You want to make a prop bet that he does not win the starting job in training camp? A non-monetary bet sig or something else?

#150 Miamipuck, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Clemens set the world on fire in those 3 wins too, clearly his QB play was the only reason the Jets won those games.

42/80 (53% completion percentage), 3/2 TD:INT ratio (one of them a shovel pass to TJ against Miami), 171 yards per game and 6.1 yards/attempt.

Tom Brady would love to have those numbers.

Even for the whole season (when Pennington was clearly not capable of being an NFL QB) he still averaged 6.8 yards/attempt.

If Pennington is not an NFL QB under your guidelines, I shudder to think what Clemens is. Pee-wee league?

#151 Gubernaculum, Mar 6, 2008
  12. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

I was just thinking why not try signing either Culepepper or Leftwich to a 1 yr contract? I was also thinking to add depth to our oline how about getting Shane Olivea

13. Dr. Christian Troy

Dr. Christian Troy New Member

Is this thread still going ?! We just made a million changes and we're still talking about the same old story?! Again?!

14. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Yeah why not lets look at possibilities

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Do I have to go and find the other threads that I and others started about the poor stats of rookie and 2nd year QB's? Is that what you are really after? Comparing a Veteran QB "that gives Jets the best chance to win" to a 2nd year QB that was admittedly much less than stellar?

I will go on record for the zillionth time. I would rather go with the unknown (KC's potential) then with the known (Chad's inability to be an NFL QB).

Go ahead find every stat that makes Chad look like a better QB than KC, I am aware of all of them. Surprisingly with those horrid stats he still won 3 times the amount of games. Surprisingly with those horrid stats when the game was on the line KC was immeasurably better and led the team to game winning and tying drives where the opposite was true of Chad. So go ahead go and quote passer ratings to the cows come home. Have at it.............. Football and QB's are not a zero sum game.

#155 Miamipuck, Mar 6, 2008
  16. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I've posted this before, and I think it is the best argument for Chad sitting on the bench....

When you are training to play QB, at any level, the first thing you do (after working with your C on snaps, and your foot work) is learn how to make every throw on the passing tree that fits your team's playbook.... If you cannot make every throw in a game situation, you are limiting the offense and are not suited to be the starting QB- period.

Here is a VERY basic high school to college level passing tree:

[​IMG]

On this tree, Chad absolutely CANNOT complete the 3 or 5 routes. He struggles on and off with the 1 and 7 routes, generally only completing the 1 route as a check-off if it's left open, and the 7 if he is given an opportunity to put a LOT of air under the ball, so as to allow the WR to go up and make a play...

Keep in mind, the pictured tree is VERY basic, and contains nowhere NEAR the number of routes the Jets playbook unbdoubtedly asks the QBs to learn to throw..

For an example of something that may be similar to the Jets' tree, see the below picture, which depicts a typical WCO passing tree....

[​IMG]

If you're going to sit there and tell me Chad Pennington can consistently complete every route on that tree, even given time, you clearly have not been watching him these past 6 years....

If you can't make all the throws, you limit the offense. If you limit the offense, you are hurting the offense's ability to do its job. Period.

17. jcc72

jcc72 New Member

I don't know why everyone is so quick to throw away Clemens. He had NO running game - NO offensive line and by the end of the year he had practice squad WR's starting for him. Can we give him some time already. He has a rocket arm and needs experience like EVERY young QB in the NFL. Another year of 3 yard passes to the flat by Chad and i might just jump from my upper level seats!!!

18. pennington4life

pennington4life New Member

Can i ask a serious question. If our line does great next year and we have a solid running game and pennington still doesnt throw the long ball all that much but he moves the chains gets us in the end zone ALOT more than this year would you guys still drink that haterade just because you don't think its cool he doesn't throw long everytime?

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If we get into the playoffs with a 10 & 6 record and face a team that can stop the run and squeezes in on our patterns and destroys play action and we can't score like every other time we got in the playoffs against a good defense and lose 14 6 will you finally admit we aren't going anywhere with him?

20. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

So, you disagree with the NYJ CS. Guess you're not alone.

But I don't.