ESPN Radio Reports: Jets Sign Damien Woody

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ViLMaNiaC51, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

2. Kramer

Kramer Member

And of PFT:

WOODY GETS WOODY

And so it continues for the New York Jets.

The team owned by Woody Johnson has signed Lions free-agent tackle Damien Woody to a five-year, $25.5 million contract, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, Woody will receive $11 million in guaranteed money.

One league source expressed to us in the wake of the signings of Woody, Calvin Pace, and Alan Faneca and the trade and new contract for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins that these moves smack of desperation by a coaching staff and a front office that fear a rash of pink slips if the green and white don't win a lot of games in 2008.

3. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

From espn.com...

Having already solidified the left side of their offensive line with the addition of former Steelers standout guard Alan Faneca, the New York Jets have now bolstered their right side, agreeing to terms with former Patriots and Lions lineman Damien Woody to play right tackle, according to sources.

The Jets have spared no expense in improving their offensive line in the first week of free agency. Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million deal that included more than $21 million in guarantees, making him the league's highest paid offensive lineman. Now the Jets have given Woody $25.5 million over 5 years with $11 million guaranteed.

Faneca and Woody, along with left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, give the Jets four former first round picks along their offensive line.

Woody spent the first five years of his career as a center/guard with the Patriots, so joining the Jets means a reunion with head coach Eric Mangini.

In 2004, Woody signed a six-year, $31 million deal with the Lions, then the largest ever for an interior lineman. Toward the end of a disappointing four-year stint in Detroit, Woody moved out to right tackle and was impressive enough in five starts to earn an even more lucrative contract from the Jets.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Their bias against the Jets is sickening......Yet annoying.

5. islesfan

islesfan New Member

Having bolstered their OL, I can definitely see the Jets taking McFadden and then a big WR with their 2nd rd pick. Then concentrate on LB, Secondary, OL and DL depth with their other picks.

6. Kramer

Kramer Member

Still don't see Jets taking McFadden. Not with the depth we have. If McFadden is avaliable we're going to trade down and draft a big WR

7. McFadden5Jets

McFadden5Jets New Member

islesfan that seems like the right choice and that would definitely give the fans excitement for 2008 with mcfadden being the face of the team but knowing the jets expect them to draft another fat sweaty 340 lb bust say jeff otah

8. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

If McFadden drops to us, I think he's the guy we take.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...I hope we don't draft McFadden, just so you'll shut up about him.

Why in the hell would we draft Otah when we just signed Damien Woody to play right tackle? Get your head out of your ass.

10. teedee83

teedee83 New Member

One league source expressed to us in the wake of the signings of Woody, Calvin Pace, and Alan Faneca and the trade and new contract for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins that these moves smack of desperation by a coaching staff and a front office that fear a rash of pink slips if the green and white don't win a lot of games in 2008

If they did nothing in the off season then the FO doesn't know what they're doing. When they do they are desperate. It's all such BS, when other teams do it it's fine, just not when the Jets do. :mad:

11. McFadden5Jets

McFadden5Jets New Member

yea its all bs its cause we in new york

12. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Stop being so sensitive about the comment. I could absolutely see mangini and tannenbaum's jobs hanging in the balance this season if we don't win. With that being said, who cares, desperate or not, I'm very happy we're making moves.

13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Exactly! If the Pat's did the exact same moves it would be heralded as the greatest/smartest moves that they could've done since their defeat in the SB...

14. islesfan

islesfan New Member

I don't think they need to trade down to get a big WR. There should be a few options at WR with the 36th pick.

I wouldn't mind if they traded down to get another couple of picks this year or an extra #1 next year. What is the 6th pick worth according to the chart?

At this point the Jets have given themselves so much flexibility concerning the draft because they've filled most of their glaring holes with free agents. They can do pretty much anything at this point. Take BPA regardless of need (McFadden), BPA based on need (Gholston), trade down in the first rd for picks, trade out of the 1st rd completely for even more picks.

I can see them doing anything at this point.

15. zombo

zombo Member

i like it as long as he plays rt. that's the big need.

16. afternoondelight

this off-season rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

18. afternoondelight

i agree with islefan

19. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

the chance we take McFadden is STILL slim to none... we get it... you have a man crush on McFadden... get used to the fact you will have to watch him play in another city, and if you happen to see him in the Giants or the new stadium, it will most likely be in another teams Jersey...

Ellis

20. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

I've also heard it on SportsCenter and NFL Live.