Gay to saints

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by drownedjetsfan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. drownedjetsfan

drownedjetsfan New Member

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

I mean... I was IN LOVE with the idea of getting Samuel, I dont think its a bad idea that we passed on Gay... We can still make a move for Bly, Sheppard, or even draft a CB

3. royceDA5'9"

royceDA5'9" New Member

oh well, will james?

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that the Jets weren't actually interested in Sheppard. I'll see if I can find the link.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I feel very optimistic about Justin Miller this year. Revis is our technique man, our tight cover guy. Miller will be our hard-hitter. He's got more forced fumbles than interceptions and I'm fine with that.

So that's Rhodes and Revis as our solid technique cover guys, and Miller and Elam (silva) as our fast and loose hard hitters. That sounds like a good secondary.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

We must remember that if we have a pass rush, the secondary will improve regardless.

7. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

We can't get them all, now can we?

8. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Indeed.

If Revis continues to progress from the point he was at at season's end, he will be the guy who QBs avoid throwing at at all costs.

That means, with improved pressure, more passes will be forced at the #2 CB, be it Miller or whoever. I'd love to see Miller given a shot to excel in that role.

With Revis gaining a better and better reputation around the league, the #2 CB is going to get a lot of opportunities to prove himself. We should find out relatively quickly if Miller can be a starter if he gets into the starting lineup for a few games....

9. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I am very hopeful that Justin Miller has learned his lesson from last year's off-the-field altercation. Assuming he heals well, he has touched the fragile mortality of the NFL skill player. If this does not bring out his character and make him an over-achiever DB instead of just a fast bolter to the edge returner, then too bad on him.

He's got the tools, and the fates have provided the motiivation. Now, Justin, ...now!

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't see a need for a FA CB on this team.

11. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

It's always nice to get more depth, right now we don't have a clear cut #2 CB. Still, we could make a #3 CB a lot better with a good pass rush.

12. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Justin Miller will be lucky to make the team this season. He has shown no ability to digest the mental aspect of playing DB. He is not a starter and he should not be counted on, especially coming off an injury.

13. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

When David Barrett is slated to be your Starting Cornerback, their is a need for CB on this team.

I like Will James since he'd come relatively cheap and has plenty of upside.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I agree with JWWS. Between Poteat, Barrett, and Miller, I think our other cornerbacks are fine. Drew Coleman is also on the roster.

15. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

That Sux , I Thought we were gonna sign him.

16. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

When you can return kicks like him, I'm sure they'll be more patient with his development as a corner. Mangini was very happy with him in camp last year and we didn't really get to see how that translated to the field during the season. This season they'll give him a chance.

Miller and Washington is absolutely the best kickoff return tandem in the NFL. Miller is a better returner than Leon IMHO. With both of them back returning kicks, we'll be working with a short field a good chunk of the time.

One of the things that impresses me most about Mangini is his reliance on strong special teams- he knows just how important ST is.

17. DeviRule201

DeviRule201 New Member

yeah I thought we had a chance too..saints are stockpiling

18. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Four below-average players do not add up to a starting-caliber CB. The Jets' could offer all four for Lito Sheppard and Tom Heckert wouldn't be able to get the phone back on the hook before he burst out laughing. What does that tell you?

The Jets still have many needs, a quality corner to start opposite Revis chief among them outside of right tackle (assuming the pass rushing situation is addressed either through Pace, Gholston, or both).

19. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

The Jets have a fantastic return game, I agree. I don't see how that makes Justin Miller a starting defensive back. He got burnt every time he was on the field in 2006.

20. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Gay is unproven and has never been a starter in this league, what makes you think he can step in a start? BB didn't think that highly of him.