All this talk about OL and DE/OLB, but what about WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyj4ever, Mar 2, 2008.

1. nyj4ever

nyj4ever New Member

OK...so I agree that we need to upgrade both the OL and DE/OLB position, but what about our WR? Coles in in the downside of his career, McCariens was FINALLY released, Stuckey never got a chance to show us what he can do, Cothery should have a rebound year.....but still none of our WR scare anybody.....

I think we need to begin to address the WR position a little more as well. We secured the OL (for the most part) with Faneca and hopefully Woody....already have two great RBs (Jones and Washington), two decent QBs (Penny and Clemens)....HOW ABOUT WR?

Anybody out on the FA market that the fans think are worth trying to get....or through the draft?

2. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

Cotchery had a pretty good year, Coles is the guy that needs to bounce back. I think he will. WR is a need, but we just need a guy in the slot. With improvements on the O-line there will be more time for the receivers to get open.

3. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

You can only do so much in one off-season. Im completely comfortable with building an elite defense, an above average offensive line and heading into 08 with a wide receiving core of Cotchery, Coles, Stucki, and Washington (split him out)

And while Coles has probably seen his best years, I think its a little unfair to say hes "over the hill".

4. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

how about gettting moss and signing Culpepper

5. TampaBayJetsFan85

With Thomas Jones and Leon Washington rushing the ball behind Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Moore and either Olivea or Woody with a healthy Coles and Cotchery as our #1 and #2 WR's and C.Maker as our TE... I dont see the BIG TIME need for a slot WR. Having a Slot WR is a possitive but as of right now it's not a MUST when we still have a learning Brad Smith and a prospect in Stuckey.

The #2 CB position is a much larger need than the #3 WR for the simple fact the Slot WR only lines up when we run a 3 or 4 WR set. The #2 CB position is involved in each and every defensive snap and im not confident with J.Miller, D.Barrett, D.Coleman or H.Poteat. I honestly think of the slot WR position in the same category of a Nickel back CB

The RT position is also alot more important than the slot WR position for the simple face the LT and the RT positions are positions that protect Kellen from the outside pass rush coming from the opposing DE or OLB's

And I also feel that a V.Gholston or C.Pace type of OLB is more important than the slot WR because without a pass rush... QB's like Tom Brady... Or really any QB will pick apart the Defense. It's important to find a pass rushing OLB this offseason to stick with harris and Jenkins in this 3-4 Defense.

I just feel you can always find a solid slot WR in the later rounds of the draft, we have just been unlucky with Stucky and B.Smith

6. nyj4ever

nyj4ever New Member

Didnt really say Coles was "over the hill", just on the downside of his career....he has never been the same since getting his turf toe injury while with Washington.

I agree that shoring up the OL with allow for more time for the recievers, as well as improve the running game, keeping the opposing defense on thier heels, but we dont possess the "double-team" WR that most teams need. We will be 200% better this year by fixing the OL. I also agree that improving the Defense is crutical to success. We where in quite a few games last year, but our defense was on the field for so long, they wore down at the end.....

Just trying to see who is out there and what other fans think.....

7. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

It is true that we have the need for speed on the NYJ. More speed. Additional speed. But in my opinion, FAs are not about speed they are about technique and size and moxie. But not about speed. The draft is about speed. We need to draft some speed. And it should not cost us first round money. There is plenty of speed in the draft. So, let's draft some speed!

8. mesheler

mesheler Member

step 1: Trade down from #6 (unless McFadden is there)
    step 2: Draft Desean Jackson from Cal
    step 3: have the best Jets' WR since Keyshawn

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

DeSean Jackson is very very small.

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

although we obviously can't bank on it, if we can somehow manage to trade down into the teens or 20's in the draft, we can nab either Limas Sweed or James Hardy for the position and move Coles to the slot. I hard reports at the combine that we interviewed Hardy, so if that happens that seems very likely to me.

If we stay put in round 2 and sign a tackle in FA, I could see a reciever being our pick there as well, pending what we end up with in round 1 if we stay at 6. I think if Gholston's there and him or another defensive guy is our pick (If Mangini's really enamored with Merling as has been rumored, I could see him there as well), I think we go offense in the second and someone like Early Doucet, Devin Thomas (unlikely after his combine), Mario Manningham, etc. in the second. If McFadden or an offensive player is the guy in round 1, I think we try for someone like Adarius Bowman if they fall into the 4th and pray that either him, Stuckey, or Smith work out.

11. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'd like to trade Robertson for a receiver of a equal value, whomever that might be. As a stretch, it could be Roy Williams. I could also see Michael Clayton of the Buccaneers (he's been at odds with Gruden for a while) or Michael Jenkins from the Falcons.

Or we could trade Laveranues Coles to the Redskins for Santana Moss. Anyone? Anyone?

12. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

What about trading down and drafting Malcom Kelly, very very big. Lol.

13. TampaBayJetsFan85

You you crazy bro? Trading down from a player like McFadden or Gholston to draft a WR? No way.... No way in hell

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Jackson would be a terrible pick IMO and doesn't fit this offense well. James Hardy or Limas Sweed have the size to compliment Coles and Cotch very well.

In addition, Jackson seems immature and has some character concerns. I pass and I think Tanny does too.

15. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I don't see how anybody will take our No. 6 from us -- who do you really think wants to pay for McFadden's four palimony issues with those legs that get stoned on being hit...?

16. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I think I worded things wrong there. If Gholston's there I think there's no chance in hell we trade down. If McFadden's there and someone like the Cowboys give us a good offer, I see us taking it.

If we don't however, I think we go reciever in round 2 if it's a defensive player rather than McFadden at #6.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

We arent getting McFadden or trading down
    Jackson is going in the 1st, i dont believe his weight from the combine will be an issue
    James Hardy would give the Jets a better receiver than Jackson

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I think DeSean Jackson is the best receiver in the country. You would have heard a lot more about him if he'd had a better quarterback.

Defense in the first round though, gents. Or O-Line. Meat and Potatoes. Fixin's later.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'd love to draft a WR in round 2 or 4.

20. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

We can manage with Coles, Cotch, B. Smith, Wallace Wright, and Stucky this year. We also have a few decent guys on practice squad. Dont forget we may have a running game this year.