Jonathan Vilma Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by plasticsloth, Feb 29, 2008.

1. MCHECK62

MCHECK62 New Member

Good luck and Godspeed to JVil. He went to a team that is not hostile in any way. Let's root for him and hope our pick is good. Go NOLA

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm going to miss Vilma. Exceptional player, and I hope he excels in New Orleans. I'm sure his off the field efforts will be greatly appreciated there as well.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Not for nothing, but Hobson was pretty solid in 04'. That one year the Jets were 7th in Yardage and 4th in points. That's pretty good to me.

Reggie Tongue had a huge INT for a TD in the Doug Brien game, the pass-rush was pretty well considering Abraham was a hoe during the playoffs.

That defense was 1 kick away from an AFC Championship Game...

The key in 2004, ironically, was Jason Ferguson.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Here's a link to his web page. It hasnt been updated since the trade.

if you go to "Ask" you'll see some Q&A he does with fans.

http://business4.odc.net/jonvilma_v255/default.asp

5. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

I really wish him the best, I don't have too many problems with him going to the Saints since I've never really had anything against them anyways (save that kyle turley incident). Hope he tears it up down there, and not only so we get a higher pick next year.

6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I will definitely miss Vilma and I will wish him well.

7. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

im legitimately upset by this, im gonna miss him and he better kick ass in New Orleans and get us a better draft pick

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They played TWO years together in the 4-3 and in one them we had a million injuries. The one healthy season they played together in the 4-3 we were a kick away from the AFC Championship. We had a legit top 5 D in 2004 and most of the same pieces in 2006 when we changed. It didn't make sense to change but it's over w/ now, time to move forward.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I take a big hairy vshit on this thread

10. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

what a shame. Vilma will be great somewhere else. Another Jersey I can throw away
    now.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Almost any coach comming in is going to install his system. It too bad for Vilma that it happened but it did, and he did not preform in the 34 very well.

I hope Vilma goes on to success in NO. He can be a very good lineback in a 43 defense. Hopefully the knee recovers and he makes a full come back.

12. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

VILMA!!!!!!!!! Love you man. Thanks for giving us some good years. I appreciate you more since you helped bring THE U a National Championship. You're a class act. I will root for you.

13. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I know you must be hurting Cane, I'm a wee bit of a U man myself but we will go on and so will J.V. Your right, he is a class act, his football skills only say a small bit about the guy who's academic savy is the stuff of legend.I will miss him.
    Johnathan Vilma, from overseas here in Bonny Scotland I thank you for being a Jet and salute you!

14. Merkava

Merkava New Member

Vilma was a great player.

I had the honor of meeting him this summer at training camp and he was about as nice a guy could be. I told him how much I loved watching him play and about the bobblehead of him that I keep on top of my tv. He smiled and talked a while before taking a few pictures and heading back into the locker room.

From the moment he stepped onto the field, he attacked with such tenacity you thought he was going to pop the other player's helmet everytime (much like how David Harris hits now). I couldn't be happier that he went to an NFC team. I have no problem wishing that team well (except when we play/beat them).

What does the board think: do I take down my Vilma bobblehead? If I do, who should i get to replace him?

15. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I'm sad he is no longer a Jet, but I have a feeling he will do well in NOLA.

I realized his fate was sealed the week he was pulled from the lineup and then placed on IR, and vented about it back then.

The good part about being a Cane is we root for guys on different teams, and have a wider interest in the league in that respect.

The bad part about being a Jet fan for me right now- and as a fan who NEVER posted negative things about Edwards, Parcells, Pennington, Clemens, or any Jet (except for Abe, who I thought dogged it when he sat out the raider playoff game) is that I truly do not like this HC at all, and from what I have heard, neither does Vilma.

So, for his sake I am glad he is moving on. It sucks to have to work for a boss that you hate. I hope he will be happy and productive down in The Big Easy.

16. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Jonathan you will be missed. I will never forget watching you blow up that tightend from Nebraska in the National Championship when you were at the UUUUUUU! Good luck in New Orleans.

17. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Well said- I wish Vilma the best and hopefully he'll be representing the NFC in the Pro Bowl for years to come. He's going to make that Saints defense a lot better the second he steps on the field.

Great guy, great player.

It's too bad he has to go because he's the type of classy player any organization wants. The Saints are lucky to have him.

Mangini has made his moves, now its time to produce.

#37 Gubernaculum, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss Vilma. I was a big fan of his, but it was a trade that needed to be done with the way Mangini wants to have the defense run. I wish him luck in NO.

2004 Rookie of the Year: 108 tackles, 2 sacks, and 3 interceptions, including one which was returned for his first NFL touchdown.
    2005: Lead NFL in tackles with 173, 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, .5 sacks, and 1 interception.
    2006: 114 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 interception.

What a jump in the 2005 season from 2004 (as far as tackles go), but a big drop in the 2006 season (as far tackles goes).

It's a shame how sitting out for about half a season can lead to a trade. It's been real Jon...

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

what is all this hurricane fraternity bullshit? that program is shit now anyway....why do canes act like they are the only college fans who follow their ex players into the NFL? guys, please give it a rest....I happen to be a buckeye fan...huge buckeye fan...I think in the NFL theres like one or two more canes than buckeyes and that isnt going to be close in another two years.....enough with this cane bullshit...somehow vilmas departure is even worse because he went to that shithole Miami? hahahha ummm no.

20. GangGreen88

GangGreen88 New Member

U sir, are a moron! Buckeyes suck. LSU! UF! Hahaha