Here's some news to get excited about... Jets interested in Faneca

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xVILMA51x, Feb 26, 2008.

1. xVILMA51x

xVILMA51x New Member

It's from fanball.com

Jets: Jets reportedly covet Faneca
    The News
    The New York Jets are prepared to dump a truckload of money on the doorstep of Pittsburgh OG Alan Faneca when free agency commences, according to FoxSports.com. This report was courtesy of editorial consultant John Czarnecki.

Our View
    Faneca, who is expected to be a popular commodity on the open market, has interest from several other teams including Arizona and Chicago. The Jets could certainly use a veteran upgrade to the interior line, partly due to a running game that averaged only 3.8 yards per carry last year.

This is hopefully the first of many big splashes this offseason

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Great. Now go do it on friday.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

LG in FA, RT in the Draft, top 10 OL next year-- then draft front 7 guys so we can get back to the playoffs.

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

He would definitely fill the viod....but he's 2 old to invest big money on. I wouldn't do it. Much cheaper & useful to draft a good player.

5. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Ur dreaming..Mick.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

Anyone ever notice that we're linked to everyone?

Just put all the names we're rumored to in one thread and I guarantee it'll top 50. This means small names as well as big names, and and includes the draft.

7. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

There's also less of a guarantee that he's good. There's plenty of guys who tore it up in college who are mediocre at best in the NFL. We need some veteran leadership on the line anyhow and the guy's only 31; just in his prime. If we give him a 5 year deal, he'll be just starting to decline when the contract's up in all likelihood.

8. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I hope it's true, but I've heard that Faneca is likely to join his former line coach in Arizona.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

They might not have enough money.

I'd say either Miami or NYJ will sign him.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Every Jet fan should be comfortable with dumping a 'truckload' of money at Faneca. We HAVE to sign him, it would be a huuuge addition. The Oline is #1 priority to move forward in my opinion.

11. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

i realy believe that faneca will end up with the jets, unless he is wayy overpaid by somebody else. we clearly do not have a veteran leader on the line, and i dont think the coaches want to see if brick and mangold can hold down the line by themselves again.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Realistically, I'm thinking he signs in Arizona to reunite with Wisenhunt, Grimm and co.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Jets aren't going to get him- like some have said, he loves the coaching staff in Arizona. They don't have a ton of cap room but I think Whisenhunt will make moves to accomodate Faneca.

Besides, I don't think a lot of the vets in the league appreciated how the Kendall fiasco was handled by the Jets. Given how Kendall loves to run his mouth, I'd be shocked if he's not friendly with the big veteran O-lineman. If I was a free agent, that debacle would be in the back of my mind when I was negotiating with the Jets.

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i hope they get him

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Put a bunch of money in latter years of the salary of his contract and performance escalators and you'll solve that money problem.

16. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Faneca could be effective for 5 more years. It's worth it... what are the alternatives really at this point? We need to lock this dude up and I hope we spend every last dime of our cap space this year. I want to win now, I don't care about 5 years down the road.

17. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Come on he was one of the best lineman in the league but he's not that good anymore. He's above average at best and he's 31. It's going to take a huge contract like the lineman got last year in free agency even bigger. This would be a horrible investment. Maybe you get one or two solid years from him and then logic says his body will break down. If the jets are going to give a huge contract to an offensive lineman it should be for a player who is under 28. That way the majority of the contract the player is still in his prims. Jacob Bell is the guy the Jets need. He can play LG or RT. He's young, doesn't have a ton of mileage on his body. Then we need to sign a veteran RT to a two year contract and draft another tackle in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. No cost is to high this offseason to fix the offensive line.

18. rillo

rillo New Member

Damn....WOW a "truckload of money".....Lets get this done! We are going to have to overpay for Oline help because they're slim pickings out there

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

It would be really fantastic if we got both Faneca and Bell. I guess I like to dream.

20. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Like Faneca he brings that tough veteran leadership with him like we had with Kendall except Faneca is 2 x the Linemen Kendall is , Faneca is 31 but for a O-Linemen that aint to old and this guy is an absolute road warrior i wouldnt mind this signing i mean Stacey Andrews is now off the market we need to make a splash.