Sutton to Remain with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mkronenberg, Jan 31, 2008.

1. GreenMachine

So, how old do you have to be before you are a "true" Jets fan?

Let me know. I have 28 years invested and can't wait for my badge.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

My thoughts exactly. Get the shit straight before the season, not 2/3 of the way through it.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Without using Google...what does anybody here even know about Sutton? Does anyone know anything about his defensive philosophies? Is he an aggressive coach or a nervous coach? Is it the players or him/the scheme? Who was calling the plays at what time?

I don't get why everyone is so gung ho on firing Sutton when most of us have little to no idea who he is.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Ugh, He has to go.
    Does he have a video of Mangini wearing a dress or something??

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Because for two years now we have seen the defense come out on its back and then after the bye steadily get better. From the year before to this year we added talent to the defense and it still came out weakass. Now I'm not going to say we have an all-star defense because we need some more talent on the lines, but there is talent enough for them to be at least average, which coming out the gate they were not.

No one does know what it is that changed at the bye, but many of us suspect that Sutton is an issue. I think its a fair guess at this point that he's partially to blame here. The fact that we don't know much about him only adds to that. If he had more of a defensive reputation then we'd all either know or expect more.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's not about getting it right before the season IMO. It's about making the right adjustments DURING the season (and games for that matter) and not waiting to make adjustments at the bye week.

Sure it would be great to come out of the gate with a stellar D, but even a stellar D will need adjustments throughout the season. A good NFL defensive coordinator shouldn't need 2 weeks to do this.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

It's great that many suspect...but they're just suspicions. Not facts.

I don't even get the point of emphasizing the bye week improvements. Yea it sucks for these two year, but what...coming out faster would have won us the Super Bowl? It's a GOOD thing our coaching staff has adjusted each season, and who knows...maybe with more experience, patience, and time (as in more than 2 years, 1 bad one) that'll change.

This coaching staff is young and inexperienced...not Sutton but this is a general statement...growing pains will happen. Those growing pains will look worse because 1. people are so obsessed with W-L when we're clearly rebuilding and 2. the talent level on this team is still close or at bottom tier.

I don't see why so many people are convinced the magic solution is to get rid of guys to older, more experienced, bigger named guys. We saw what happened with Parcells...whose to say if we hire Cowher he would build a good roster and bounce...then what?

It looks like Mangini isn't blown away by Sutton and he REALLY wants Rob Ryan...but he can't have him and shit....theres gotta be a reason Sutton hasn't been dumped yet.

It'd be nice to get a name we're all more comfortable with...but right now WTF does ANY of us know about Sutton to say "hey this guy SHOULD be fired." It's all BS, bored speculation where we're all looking for someone to blame...

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

who cares.... I suspect Mangini runs the defense anyway, Sutton is just a figurehead.

9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yeah, we'd like to see him gone, but obviously he won't go anywhere until we can actually upgrade the position. If you have an opportunity to get someone better you seize the opportunity - simple as that. A fair number of us would like to see that happen. I could be wrong. I am about a lot of things. Oh, well. :grin:

10. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

If that were the case I think we have bigger problems. I am certainly hoping you are not correct in this.

11. allan1

allan1 Active Member

well, it wouldn't hurt to have a more intelligent figurehead. Somebody Mangini could actually trust and defer to at times.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Sorry to say , but I agree with BrowningNagle

13. KSJets

KSJets New Member

You don't get a badge. You get a secret decoder ring that can be used to figure out wtf champ is actually saying.

14. SLW? Son of a bitch it's a crumby commercial.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Well I would not disagree that the defense being run is done so according to Mangini's defensive philosophy. But the DC should be taking care of running that section of the team along with some suggestive input from the HC. But if EM is running the defense and Sutton is just a puppet then it seems a waste of dollars there.

It is hard to do much more than guess how it is working though.

16. I actually think the Jets are being wise about this. You don't make drastic, emotional moves and throw a guy out on the streets w/o their being a feasible alternative/upgrade.

If a guy Mangini feels is an upgrade becomes available, Sutton will be gone. However, making quick trigger additions/subtractions has been one of this franchise's downfalls for several years. Don't fire someone for the sake of firing someone.

17. GreenMachine

See:Herm Edwards

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It just might.

19. Scottso

Scottso Member

I think Sutton actually ran the defense before the bye weeks the past two seasons, and Mangini got fed up with it and got involved during and after the bye weeks. I think Mangini will be all over Sutton this year, knowing his ass may be on the line after a 4-12 season. At least I hope.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When the New York Freaking Post quotes a 'league source', the word that immediately comes to mind is 'bullshit'. The fact that this did not come out from the organization leaves me hopeful that dumbass Sutton will be gone once a decent candidate comes free in the offseason.

As far as people asking who else you would hire... I'd probably pick someone who a defensive leader like Kerry Rhodes would speak of more highly than to say 'He's really trying his hardest.' Sutton is a joke and never should have been hired.

On the flipside, if this is the Jets sending these rumors out while Sutton is still under contract and they are actively looking for his replacement anyway, then they should all be fired from the top down, that is a bush league way to handle things.