I'm rooting for the Pats

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JoeWillie130, Jan 20, 2008.

1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I know. I know. You think I'm crazy. How can any true Jet fan root for the Patriots in this day and age? Well reality has set in on this miserable super bowl and I have thought about this now a long hour or so. So before you decide to spew obscenities at me or challenge my Jet fandom at least listen to my arguments first.

Argument 1: I have many Giant fans who live in close proximity to me and I must communicate with on a daily basis. Therefore I will get no satisfaction from the Giants ending the Patriot run at the "pursuit of perfection" (By the way I gag even thinking about this. Thanks to espnnews ticker coining this phrase I had to seriously limit my sports highlight watching this football season). Anyway okay maybe I would get a little satisfaction at watching the NE perfect season go down the drain, Brady sad face on the sideline, Belicheck with an angry handshake and beeline back to the locker room. But this would only last for about 15 minutes then I would realize the perfect season went down the drain to the Giants not in week 16 of the regular season but even worse in the superbowl of all places. This would quickly wipe out all satisfaction knowing had the Patriots won I would have to deal with maybe the two true Patsy fans I know and then brush of all those who jumped on the bandwagon, but if the Giants somehow pull this off. I would have to listen to about 900 Giants fans who live in close proximity. They would make claims like "Eli is better than Brady" or "the Pats only won all those super bowls because they played in a weak division". Then I would have to hear about how they pulled off the greatest upset of all time (yep better than super bowl 3). Vomit.

Argument 2: I want to beat the best. Yes I do realize the Jets don't play the Patriots again this year but they do play them next year. I want to be the team that brings down the mighty Pats. In fact I hope they never lose another game until we beat them. Yes I do realize we may be talking years here but I am willing to wait. I am not one of those fans that say hey if my team isn't there I get satisfaction from others losing. When the Yankees lose I'm not rooting against the mets. Well maybe I am a little but not because it will give me satisfaction for them to lose but because I won't have to hear about how great they are from all my met buddies (see argument 1). So there you have it I want the Jets to slay the, no pun intended, giant.

Argument 3: I am not sure if I buy this one myself but I guess I can use all the arguments I can. My father roots in this order when the Jets are out of it, division and, then conference. In other words if there is a team in the playoffs from the Jets division he roots for them (yes even the dolphins). If not he sort of just sits it out and then come SuperBowl he roots for the AFC. This may be rooted in the old AFL NFL days and the part the Jets played to pull the two together. In other words I think my father still thinks it is 69 and the NFC and AFC are two different animals and you are either with one or the other. This argument has one main competitor however the root for ny argument which I quickly throw out the window. You root for one NY team not all of them.

Argument 4: As I get down the line here I am getting desperate. So I turn to my wife. Women don't quite look at football how we do. Well I shouldn't say that some women do but my wife looks at it dfferently. She tends to root for people who seem "nice" and she likes to see "nice" (theres that word again) things happen. Last year it was "nice" that Peyton Manning won. So I go to get her take on this. Clearly all I see is evil. Giants cross town rival...evil. Patriots arch enemy...evil. There could be no nice here. I mean doesn't she see how mean belly has been to Mangini with those handshakes and not even acknowledging he exists for about a year? So her take is... "I want the Patriots to win because it would be "nice" to see history. I mean to win all those games and not win the super bowl would be just wrong". There you have it can't argue with that.

So there you go. Maybe I am crazy rooting for the Pats but the only argument I have for the Giants to win seems to end in a long Winter of bragging so I stand by my Jets and wait for them to defeat the evil empire as I watch and root for our division to win super bowl 42 as it would be sepecially nice for that to happen and history to be made at the same time.

Here's to a better 2008!

2. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Go Giants!!!
    I could never root for Patriots EVER!

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is the worst thing I have ever read. Nothing would be sweeter than watching the Patriots perfect season RUINED in the Super Bowl.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You can root for whomever you wish, but it was not "the worst thing" anyone has ever read, since your wish for their perfect season to be ruined in the SB is no more valid than anything he said. There is no logic in rooting for a sports team, so to claim some higher ground in a choice like this is absurd.

5. JoeWillie130

Thanks statjeff...and can I have some of what your smoking.

6. I can respect the decision...

It's obviously an agonizing one for any jet fan.

Perhaps if I lived in NY and not in New England..I maybe of a different opinion.

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I hate this team worse than the RedSox...

The Pats must go down...How Monumental would this be!

8. JoeWillie130

Agreed. If I lived in the New England area I would not be rooting for the Pats.

9. allan1

allan1 Active Member

I'll either boycott the game or watch it with zero emotion.

the patriots winning will hurt less, because we've seen them win super bowls, and it'll erase miami's 72 season. And I'd love to be the team that knocks them off, perhaps in the playoffs next year (like that'll ever happen)

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Add to that (for old folks like me) the resentments from the way Giants fans, players, and management treated the AFL in general and the Jets in particular in the 60s, and you have the three reasons why I'll root for the Pats. I won't like it, but I'll do it.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

How about rooting for a mid-air collision between the two charter jets with the only survivors being the flight crew and a mangaled chickn so he can spend the rest of his life suffering the way us Jet fans have since he abandoned ship.

Obviously we're not that lucky. I live in Vegas so I have to deal with duechebags from both teams. To me the only worse thing would have been a Magical SB with the Pats taking on the Phish. Thank God that can't happen......

My two best friends are Giant fans so I'll be pulling for them because I know they'd be doing the same for me. If I had the option I wouldn't even watch, it'd be a shame as it'd be the 1st Bowl I'll miss in over 20 years..........

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

go g men, screw the pats

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I live in New York and I'll be pulling hard for the 'Jints. Not because I like them, but because I hate the Cheatriots with a passion and I don't have any special hatred for the Giants.

14. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

this is worst case scenario in all of sports possibilities.. i heard nate robinson talk about how the knicks want to win a championship this year and laughed about it, and sadly that is now all i have to look forward to. football seasons officially over.

15. The Mak

The Mak New Member

My generation doesn't harbor a hate towards the NY Giants team outside of special circumstances. I root for the Giants when the Jets aren't playing (regular season and post-season). Let me make this clear, though, the G-men are my secondary team. My emotional investment is really low when compared my enormous investment with the Jets.

Do you really want the Pats to go 19-0? Sure, we get rid of Mercury Morris whenever a team goes 8-0. Instead we get Brady, Seau, Harrison, Bellicheat, etc, etc, etc for the rest of our lives. Think about it!

#15 The Mak, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  16. Capt. Ace Nick

This is the worst football year ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....ever....ever.....ever....and ever

#16 Capt. Ace Nick, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  17. The Mak

The Mak New Member

Worse than the Kotite years?

18. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I'd NEVER in my wildest dreams root for a Scummy New England team. ANY Crab A$$ New England team over ANY New York team, and as much as I hate the Mets I'd root for them over the Red Sucks any day, THAT'S how much I hate New England/Boston teams.

The only good thing that EVER came out of Boston or that friggin sad area known as the NEW ENGLAND area, is NEW EDITION.

I detest ANYTHING and EVERYTHING about the Boston/New England area.

GO GIANTS!!!!!

19. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

NOTHING is worse than the KOTITE Years!

20. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Go Giants, F the cheating Pats..
    So next year tripping, spearing and hitting the QB down after the play is over is all legal.