Looking Back - Jets Should Have Signed Their Own FA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Jan 13, 2008.

1. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I was with you up to the point you said keep abraham the guy is a walking injury and finds a way not to play in big games. Sure the guy was a top notch pass rusher when he was on the field. I was glad to get rid of him and it was a smart move

2. All Star

All Star Active Member

You can't sign players after their contract is up, you need to re-up before they hit the market to get them for below value. Otherwise you compete with other teams and don't get good value.

3. GreenMachine

Abe is a beast when he plays.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the jets could not afford to keep them, cause way too much of the cap space was tied up by noodle arm. the contract of drob didn't help either.:sad:

5. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

Yeah thats the problem, we have a lot of money locked up on him. Now I've seen this on madden 2007 and have heard alot about his contract, but isn't DRob one of the highest paid NTs in NFL??? with his kinda money I think you can get both a good guard and RT.

6. GreenMachine

Base salary...yes..

Cap wise no..He is 2nd behind Pat Williams.

Not that it would ever happen, but if the Vikings cut Williams it would cost them 17 mil

D-Rob would be a 7 mil hit on the Jets.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Bradway's stupidest moves as GM was always his decisions on contracts. He signed old players (past their prime) to ridiculous deals (Martin 8 years at age 30, Chrebet 7 years at age 30, Marvin Jones 5 years at age 31 (he limped thru 2 of those years and then quit). THEN, he refused to ante up for the good YOUNG players (McKensie, Coles (2003), Thomas, Becht ( a hell of a good blocker), Abraham, Jordan. No wonder we stink now.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Parcells' parting gifts of big contracts to Testaverde and Lewis didn't help either.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You're exactly, right--The jets like to sign and players for what they DID in the past, not what they have left. I'm surprised they haven't recently reinked Namath to along term deal--he did lead us to a super bowl victory.

10. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

j.abraham is always hurt, fannaca will be worth the $ he was a pro bowler and an all pro this season

11. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

Thomas and McKenzie's contracts are DIRT CHEAP by current standards. Why the hell do we have an accountant for a GM?

12. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

He's also 31 years old and declining fast. Our awful GM put us in the position of having to overpay any player we get.

#32 mcmagic, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

In the cases of Thomas and McKenzie, Tannenbaum was in charge of spreading money out so that the Jets could stay under the cap. The actual numbers in the contracts that the players receive is the responsibility of the GM, Bradway, as is the decision to move around money in order to retain current players or add others from the roster. The important decisions were being made by Bradway, not Tanny. Bradway would decide which players to pursue and which to let go. Once the overall numbers were being discussed it was Tanny's job to develop a scheme of how to disperse the money in the contract over the years. Bradway still decided how to value the players and which ones were worth keeping and those that the team could let go.

14. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I highly doubt that.

Ferguson has got to be one of the worst starting left tackles in the league right now. The guy seems to get beat on almost every play and is guaranteed to give up a sack a game. How many sacks will it take for Jets fans to dislike this guy?

I'm sick of fans overrating this guy. He's not what he is made out to be. He is especially not worth the value of where he was selected in the draft. He's an undersized left tackle that cannot run block and has trouble pass blocking. Plain and simple.

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

You are totally right on John Abraham. Atlanta probably rues the day they made that deal with us plus the money they gave Abraham. I don't even think he has played more than 18 of the 32 games over the last 2 years. You can't tie up that much money and a pick loss on a player like that.

Whether Faneca is the guy or if it somebody else, the parts are definitely available this FA market to completely solidify our offensive line and make it quite respectable. We must accomplish that much before the draft at all costs. We desperately need a RT and a LG.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I think the Martin deal had to be done as part of the original contract. Martin had the team by the balls. The Chrebet and Jones deals were outright stupid. Chrebet should have been released for his own health. McKenzie and Becht were never offered new deals by Bradway he let both of them walk without a phone call.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

in all this lamenting I see no mention of the Herm or B/way or how stupid Woody was in hiring those 2 jackasses. It would appear to me enemy #1 in your scenerio would be Herm since he would be the one who after doing a most very careful evulation would have said to the GM that yeah we could get rid of this guy or say he was not worth the money so let him go. It would also be that same Herm who would be recommending who to draft see BT, JV, DeW just to name a few

18. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem getting rid of Mawae. It's better to get rid of a player a year too early then a year too late. In hindsight they should've retained McKenzie but the key to that line in the late '90's was consistency. Right tackle was the only position that had a change of players when McKenzie stepped in for Ryan Young. The best thing this regime can do is get a young offensive line with potential and let them develop together.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Looking back is very easy to do. Everything is crystal clear after it happens.

20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I've exhausted myself trying to convey this very message. It's unreal the amount of talent we let go because of $$$.
    Yet, they Give the $$ out carelessly.

Vinny's (Old), Chrebet's(Not a #1), Martin (Old) Moore (OverValued) Bryan Thomas (OverValued) Ellis (Because of the Other DE)
    All got paid in ways they shouldn't have yet all the players who were Top Teir FA's on our squad we let go. Then to top it off, we don't even recoup the talent we lose OR make an effort in the FA Market!

What, Ty Law!? That said, I am a big fan of TJ but what good is 1 player here and there? It's about the Team and This shit has been going on for the last few years and It's sickening.