Victor Hobson will not be back in 2008

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Jan 13, 2008.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Still makes no sence...he was never a FA either....but hey you and champ can still have each others backs....or butts

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Ellis made 4.5 MM this year and his salary drops to slightly over 3MM next year. He is a solid DE in this league not great not terrible and not over paid.

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I disagree. He has been overpaid and is still overpaid at $4 million. He is a pedestrian player at this point. He does not get sacks. He does not force turnovers. He does not tackle players for losses. There are games where I don't even hear his name sometimes. And please don't blame the scheme. If the 3-4 scheme is the reason for his lack of production, then the Jets should have renegotiated his contract when the scheme changed. He is paid to be an impact player, but all he does is show up and make a few tackles each week. The offense does not have to account for him or game plan for him. He is like a fourth starter on a baseball team that give a team 200 innings pitched, but with an ERA in the mid-4s and less than 10 wins. It is needed, but you don't pay top dollar for it. Robertson, Mosely, Pouha, and Coleman all played better than him this year (and last year, and in 2005). The last good game Ellis had was the Pittsburgh playoff game in January 2005 and that was eons ago.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thanks for educating the uneducated especially when LT is a HOF Lber

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

So let me get this straight. Hobson made what 600K last year, and we are going to be able to find someone better for... Hobson can be a good back up in this league and even in the 3-4 defense. I don't think he is going anywhere, but with this FO who knows.

I think we will see a similar contract, and he will make an impact as a backup/situational player.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Right on the money. Let's get rid of Hobson, who makes little money, because he had one off season in a year when the whole defense was off, but for the rookies and Rhodes and let's keep the mult-million bonus babies like Ellis and D Rob even though those two have either no impact or a negative impact on the outcome of games and have not played well for years. Hobson made more impact plays in 06 than Ellis has made since 2004.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

For some reason, JWWS continues to point to "playmaker" numbers for Ellis the last couple of years, even though he's a 3-4 DE. It's odd, I know.

8. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Byran Thomas better be gone next season as well, I wont stand to watch that fool on the fieldn anymore.

9. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Exactly, along with the fact that Mangini praised him most of the season. Ellis is not going anywhere, we need a NT, we all know thats what we need.

10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I never understood Hobson on the outside. He lacked speed. But he seemed big and strong. This year he didn't seem to tackle anybody. Barton to me was too hot and cold. They will draft one and sign one, I think. Unfortunately, I don't think they can do much about the Cardboard Cutout. The BT Local, if you will. Maybe switch him back to his original side, but they want a better player there, don't they?

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

While I don't think either Ellis or Robertson should be cut I agree that it seems kind of unnecessary to let Hobson go, unless we have a sure-fire replacement lined up....

Hobson can be a decent starter, and we currently have nobody in place to take his spot.... With borderline starting material LBs like Barton and Hobson around, and huge, gaping holes at other positions, LB should not be a top priority in the draft. Unfortunately, if these moves are made, that may end up being the case....

Similar to the situation in the 2006 offseason, where we let Mawae go, and had to spend the pick we got for Abraham on a replacement, instead of filling a position of need....

That's not to say that I was against the drafting of Mangold, but keeping Mawae (who is still performing at a high level) and drafting for need in another position seemed like the more logical choice....

If we cut Hobson and Barton, and draft a LB in the first round, I'll be very upset...

12. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't know about Ellis and D-Rob. Ellis is doing his job week in and week out(his job just isn't making highlight reels), but D-rob is out of position(I saw him taking on alot of double teams this year). I can see Ellis being more effective with a supporting cast, and the same with D-rob on the other DE. They do however need to restructure their contracts.

Don't get me wrong, if we can upgrade then so be it, but I don't see much more talent available that we have a realistic shot at.

13. ChiJetFan

ChiJetFan New Member

As long as we retain those studs Cassell and Chatham, we'll be o.k.

</snark>

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I think the ideal situation we need to look at is moving Vilma back to safety, and Hobson to ILB. Vilma has the coverage skills, and the speed to handle it. This would give us a 4 LB presence on the field(5th if you consider how Rhodes reacts to the ball)Hobson should be a solid ILB, with harris by his side. If we were to draft Gholston or pick up Suggs in the FA we would be able to move into different looks with your starting 11.

Example.

3-4
    DL-Ellis/Pouha/Robertson
    OLB-Thomas/Gholston
    ILB-Hobson/Harris
    CB-Poteat/Revis
    S-Rhodes/Vilma

4-3
    DL-Ellis/Pouha/Robertson/Thomas(or Gholston)
    OLB-Thomas(or Gholston)/Hobson
    ILB-Harris
    CB-Poteat/Revis
    S-Rhodes/Vilma

4-4
    DL-Ellis/Pouha/Robertson/Thomas
    OLB-Gholston/Hobson
    ILB-Vilma/harris
    CB-Poteat/Revis
    S-Rhodes

Try game planning that. Don't knock it till you think about it. Defense is all about confusing the QB on the offense. We have the personnel to do it, but If we can upgrade so be it.

15. Beamen

Beamen New Member

wildaces, I don't like Vilma at safety for the same reason I hate Abram Elam at safety.

Kerry Rhodes is a playmaker... He's excellent in coverage, has great ball-instincts, and is a very good blitzer and a solid run-stopper...

If you put an overaggressive safety like Elam, or a slower safety like Vilma would be, next to Rhodes, you essentially take away half of his game, that being his ability to come up to the line, blitz and play aggressively. This is because he knows he doesn't have a lot of help behind him....

I don't want to hinder the play of any more of our defenders with our scheme. You put Vilma at safety, and you hurt the production of both Vilma (as he'd become like our very own Roy Williams) and Kerry Rhodes.... No thanks...

16. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

i'm not surprised about hobson or barton, but barton wasn't expected back last year either...so we will see what happens
    the most important thing about purging a roster is replacing the empty spots with higher talent...and getting rid of barton without a healthy vilma or a mlb upgrade(FA or rookie) will make that decision tougher

17. All Star

All Star Active Member

This is actually old news, but I don't get the Barton thing. His 3.2 salary is not that high considering Thomas is being paid in the 5.0 range as far as I know.

18. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

why would vilma want to play safety?
    he is in a contract year....its not as if he has been a bust...he was a good mlb in the 4-3
    sounds like a situation that would immediately result in him demanding a trade...and further hurting his trade value....b/c an injured vilma has more value than a pissed off and injured vilma

19. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

To me Bryan (Invisible Man )Thomas is the biggest drain he gets as much money as anyone on our D and we had to put a missing person report on him this year.

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

With all due respect, Vilma has proven better patience than elam. Vilma has also proven cover skills. Vima has the ability to see the play developing, which a safety has to be able to do.

Kerry Rhodes runs a 4.56 40
    Jonathon Vilma runs a 4.54 40

NFLDRAFTSCOUTS.COM (not sure if that is still the case, but Vilma hasn't lost that much of a step)

If you had 2 pass rushing safeties then you would have to identify both before the snap. It could work. I am not saying it will, but something that the CS should take a look at.

#40 wildaces, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008