Realistic Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JVilma51, Jan 12, 2008.

1. JVilma51

JVilma51 Member

For the people who are not completely negative about the team and make ridiculous comments... with our current knowledge that chad will be coming back to compete with clemens, where does the team go from here? (needs...offseason musts....key signings...etc)... and with our current QB situation with the right moves can we be a contender?

Honestly... I have always been a Chad supporter....and thought midway through the season we needed a change... but QB play in the NFL has been so poor... I honestly don't think we are that bad off with Chad... with a strong defense and a run game... Chad could and will work

2. Rod_2

Rod_2 Member

I was only able to watch six of the Jets games this year. Each one, they got manhandled in the trenches on both sides. D-linemen were back with linebackers at the end of the play. The O-line would get pushed back as well. I know everyone have their opinion on things. The best QB, RB, WR and TE to ever walk this earth couldn't produce without holes or protection. Same with the back seven if the front four get pushed around so easy. It could be scheme or players. It's so bad right now, it's hard to tell.
    Realistic: They will wait for the high priced O and D linemen are gone then look to go cheap. Like last year. Then we'll be bitchin about FA pick ups again.

3. jetman67

jetman67 Member

IMO we need to worry about the Line on both sides of the ball before and positions behind the line. You could put Tom Brady on the Jets and he would still get killed with that line.

4. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Well since Chad will be returning , Id have to say the Jets need to build the line. Give the guy some time and maybe his play action will come back and we can get more hapening down the feild. Its would also help the run game. Thomas jones found all his big runs off tackle and rarely up the middle. I dont know what can be done on defense with all these guys with big contracts and no production. Who deserves the big money B Thomas or D Harris (Thats a stupid question). It would help answer the question if we had some back round info on how the defense was handled this year. We hear Mangini got more involved with the defnese after the bye week ; but thats the same story from last year when we started to slip a little bit. If they are going to bring in new assistants and line coaches then do it dont interview terrible canidates to only settle with what we have. A realistic off season would to me be , getting rid of all the dead weight the rest is all up in the air till the first snap next year.

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I am not negative on Chad, but I still think he is going to be traded before the draft. So far, it really is anyone's guess as to what we will have going into summer camp.

I think Tannenbaum and Mangini have said exactly what they are suppose to say with the situation being what it is. This is to preserve maximum trade value if, in fact, that is what they plan on doing.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Chad will be traded. I look for a major housecleaning.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Smoke screen's for everyone..

8. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I am a supporter of CP, I think he is a high quality QB under the right conditions. CP needs few things. 1. A better line. 2. Better play calling 3. Better running game.

Line sucked, hence running game sucked. Shottenhimer was awful. Never let CP throw deep, shortened the field for the opponent, never used playaction CPs best strength, too many outs, not enough slants...etc. BS was at least 1/2 of the problem. Very poor utilization of CPs strength.

9. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Not at all. Qb is been very high brady,favre,romo,p manning all on top of there games this season. I think chad will be fine. Btw do you need yet another post about chad coming back?

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Build the Lines with the emphasis on the OL. We need players that can come in and make a difference immediately. I would then look DL.

I believe that we have to keep our defensive talent, and that includes Vilma, D-Rob. I would look to move Vilma back to SS, and D-Rob out to DE.

If we correct the OL than keeping Chad is Ok, but I think a trade would be a better long term. I would look Grossman in FA.

Is it possible to trade down, if so do it.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think you can make the assumption that Chad will be back based on a presser held before the postseason is even over. Teams that didn't make the playoffs are still licking their wounds, teams that have more trouble at QB and less in the trenches, and will be looking for trade opportunities.

Teams learned after Trent Dilfer and Ben Roethlisberger that if you have a non-dynamic QB that keeps the mistakes to a minimum, and you surround that QB with a lot of talent, you can win a championship. It's hard to do it but possible. Chad can be that type of player if he has confidence in his line, but he cannot do it without confidence.

It appears that Clemens isn't a guy that can keep his composure without a good line in front of him either, he went from confident and cocky to jumping at shadows half the time, even though I saw flashes from him right until the end with the KC game... but this FO/CS has something invested in Clemens and they need to find a QB that can step in and make some things happen if things get ugly behind whatever conglomeration of linemen we have starting next season. Chad isn't that guy.

I have a feeling that just like all the Vilma loyalty talk we got last offseason right up until the moment we found out there was a trade attempt with the Skins, Tanny's recent "Chad is staying" presser was more posturing than information.

To answer the gist of your question, I don't think we can be a contender with a starter-backup combo of Chad and Clemens, because no matter how well we patch the O-line up, they aren't going to play like an elite unit until week 8 because half of them will never have played together as a unit, and you need to know your neighbor instinctively to be able to pick up where the other guy lacks; I still don't think we will find a true NT by next season unless some fortuitous (read: un-Jets-like) turn of events comes to pass... and when you have continuing issues like that you can't reasonably challenge for anything but a wildcard spot.

The problems we have we could have made an attempt to fix for the long run but instead traded up for 2 players that have nothing to do with our biggest problems. While I love Revis and Harris, the way we acquired them set back the true rebuild of the team at least a year, and set back the development of a young QB that was thrust into the starting lineup at the midpoint of the season.

So... realistically, we are not going to be a contender in the sense of a team that can compete in January.

12. rdj4075

rdj4075 New Member

Even with a crappy line chad was able to move the team and had better stats then clemens. Clemens holds the ball to long and doesnt pickup up blitzes. You put chad on minny and they're challenging for Nfc title. Joe montana had a noodle arm and won 3 or 4 superbowl.It' all about the talent around you.We were 1 kick away from the title and he had no arm strength then.
    what can we get for jones he showed me nothing at running back. I don't want to here about the line. ronnie brown had no line in miami and was tearing it up before his injury. Can we get a break and have mc fadden fall to us with his problem this week

13. 319-1-x4

319-1-x4 New Member

well not to be negative but this franchise still hasn`t gone as low as it will imo.

Woody will charge unreasonable PSL fees to ticket holders, the Jets waiting list will die out, Woody will try to sell the team and no one will want it, fans will drop like flies, we will see our first blacked out home game(rather we will not see it), the team will eventually be sold at less than what it was paid for to someone who takes them to Los Angeles, LA will NOT embrace the team because they will still suck and the Jets franchise will ultimately be folded up and become a part of NFL history like the Canton Bulldogs. :)

Other than that, nothing will change.