Charley Casserly says Pennington back with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MisterMoss, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Most of us "lovers" are saying just that... for the kid to succeed he needs a better team around him as well. No one could do much with that line we had this year even if your last name was Brady. It doesn't change the fact that Clemens still looked worse than Chad overall, even though they both appeared abysmal. If Clemens is the real deal he should have no trouble beating out Pennington for the starting job next season.

2. bpjets

bpjets New Member

Very true..but if you remember the wonderful 1ST game of the year with the cheaters Chad's throw's where 5-10 yard dumps

3. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Because he had what, 4-5 seconds to sit in the pocket and read his weekly wall street journal, right?

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He also had 2 TDs, no INTs and had us in the game at 28-14 late 3rd before the D gave up a 9 minute TD drive. This was on a bad ankle, which cut short another drive we had going.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

28-14? Man he had the Pats shaking in their boots!

In 8 games where Chad played most of the snaps against a team who totalled more than 1 win this season...

The team scored:

14, 14, 24, 9, 31, 3, 10 and 6 points

The offense scored 10 of the 24 points in the loss vs the Giants. Chad threw 3 INTs

The only game where the offense scored more than 2 TDs with Chad was vs the Bengals, the 27th ranked defense in the NFL...

Those numbers are bad for a QB in his first year starting.... For a veteran, who is supposed to give the team the best chance to win, they're abysmal...

6. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Good points and great post.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Didn't Chad pick 6 us to a loss against the Bengals? I know our D sucked in that game but they did give the ball back to the O with less than a TD lead and plenty of time on the clock in the 4th quarter. Didn't Chad turn that drive into a Bengal TD and a 2 score deficeit in the 4th quarter?

I understand Clemens was awful but Chad was brutal this year.

8. Italian Seafood

That's two scores and the game was still in the 3rd quarter. If the defense could have gotten us back on the field before it was 35-14 in the 4th quarter, we were moving the ball to that point with nothing doing on the ground.

As for the other games, yes, Chad had a bad year, as did Clemens and our entire offense. Again, our scoring did not pick up at all when Clemens came in, we kept kicking FGs. Our D played a lot better after the bye week, that was the only improvement the team made.

9. winstonbiggs

And why is this a reason to keep an over paid unproductive veteran player on a team that's rebuilding?

10. Italian Seafood

If you can find me an upgrade to bring back then tell me who it is. Otherwise we go with who we have and the better guy plays. QB is an important position, getting or keeping the best you can get is more important than worrying about the tons of cap space we already have.

But talking to you is like talking to a wall, so I'm sure we'll be having this same conversaion in June when Chad is still here and you guys are still bitching about it.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't give a damn who is here next year. Chad, Kellen, Rex, JP, Daunte (please no), whoever.

I just want to WIN SOME DAMN GAMES.

I'll root for whoever is behind Mangold for the snap. I don't care who it is. But he has to WIN. That's my only condition.

12. Italian Seafood

There you go, man, my sentiments exactly. I'm a JETS fan.

So pardon the fuck out of me if I can appreciate that a guy has won here a lot and would like to see him at least get a chance to do it again. Especially when none of us really know if the other guy can do it or not.

13. Beamen

Beamen New Member

QFT!

That is the WHOLE POINT of the debate...

If the production isn't going to differ either way, why on earth would you go with a 30 year old, oft-injured starter, over a to-be 3rd year 2nd round pick with potential to improve?

14. pennington4life

pennington4life New Member

kill the qb controversy we just want to win next year plain and simple no matter who is behind mangold

15. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Chad has been done.. If you bring him back next year as a starter, then this team is to worried about fucking feelings and not worrying about how to win..

16. Italian Seafood

You don't know if the production isn't going to differ. It didn't this year because the whole offense sucked. But the fact is one guy has proven he can win here if you block a little bit, we don't know what the younger guy can do. So in the event that the young guy isn't that good--or he gets hurt again--we don't lose another whole season. It's not that hard to understand, really.

17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

After benching him halfway through the season, I don't think feelings are a factor any longer.

18. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

If they put him as a starter again, yes it is..

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Noo...if they put him in as starter, then it's because the CS feels he gives us the best chance to win (period). After benching the well liked-veteran halfway through the season at the end of a losing game, the last thing Mangini will consider is his feelings when deciding who to start next year. As much as I feel Chad is a dead end for this team, there is no way he starts here again based on past performance. It's all gonna come down to who shows the most potential in camp, if he's even here.

20. winstonbiggs

As long as your kind enough to bounce the ball off the wall, do you know how much real cap space we have after we resign some of the players who we want here long term? That ton of cap space may look a bit different if we decide to sign Rhodes long term? We also may decide to front load some FA deals to upgrade the team and give us some wiggle room down the road when we might want to pounce on a game changer who can really make a difference.

It also makes sense to unload expensive unproductive veterans simply because they are likely not to be around when the team is ready. There are going to be several FA QB's who can Hold the Fort as well as Chad for 25% of the cost without the emotional attachement of cutting them when we finally are rebuilt.

Chad might beat out Clemens in 08 but do we really want an open competition for QB next year or do we install a simplified O and let Clemens get the reps from day one in TC? I know what your answer is but we did that last year and it didn't work for either Chad or Clemens.