Clemens is not the Answer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

i'm still holding out for some sort of trade with vilma and a pick for quinn. quinn is better than any qb in this year's draft. the D should be fine without vilma, and we get our (hopefully) franchise qb. meanwhile the browns get a draft pick (i don't know what round it would have to be) and a top LB when healthy

2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

First off Cleveland plays a 3-4 so the same problem Vilma has here he'd have with the Browns. And you're still talking about Quinn going through the same struggles and growing pains as Clemens.

3. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

i don't think it is fair to make a decision on half a season. No where in your remarks do you mention the fact that his OL never gave him time. True he has been out of sorts at times in the pocket but can you blame him? He never has time to run through his progressions. Give the kid at least a full season behind an OL that can give him some time. He has talent and was ranked very highly by Jaws. It doesn't matter who you put in there right now, with the line so awful even Brady would come up short.

4. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

i agree with everything you said. No one has patience anymore. Everyone wants instant success for the toughest position in sports. The bottom line is yes he has shown some lack of poise in the pocket but that is a manfistation of a terrible OL that can't hold back a pee wee team.

5. MikeSLTJ23

I don't consider Vilma a total bust in the 3-4, and if another team sees a spot for him in it or runs a different style of 3-4, maybe he works out. It is possible that it's a coaching problem and not as much a player problem with the whole round hole-square peg theory.

I agree that Quinn might go through the same struggles, but he's more experienced in a pro style offense and I thought ran ND's offense very well. I think he's got a much higher ceiling than Clemens, better intangibles, and just as good physical ability.

By no means am I saying Clemens isn't the QB next year, but I think being able to snag Quinn for Vilma and having two young QBs competing for the starting job would be much better than just handing the reins over to Clemens who really hasn't proven anything.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

WTF is patience?

7. MikeSLTJ23

I agree, but remember that's also how David Carr's career started. I'm still convinced that Carr has the tools to be a complete NFL QB, but he never will reach that point because too much damage has already been done to him mentally.

If we throw Clemens behind that line for another 16 games, I think he may suffer the same fate as Carr. I have no problem giving Clemens another shot. This season in no way defines whether he should start or sit next year in my opinion. However, if there's another option available, it's at least worth a look.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Charlie Weis will be Quinn's HC on Miami next year. I know it's crazy but...

9. dyroan9

dyroan9 Banned

give him a shot with a decent line we should stock up in draft and we should draft flaco

10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Two points - Yea, its true about the O line and the running game and the receivers, etc. but when Clemens has had time, and a receiver has been open, he has time and againg failed to get the ball to the receiver - I saw throws at the receivers feet, over their heads, and behind them, over and over again. THIS is one of the most troubling aspects of Clemens - he can't hit an open receiver. And Chad Pennington is physically unable to be an effective QB in the NFL. Smart guy, awesome desire, but the physical skills are gone.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

12. KSJets

KSJets New Member

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's not tough when you have the brains to play the position. Clemens doesn't and we should cut him as soon as possible.

15. MikeSLTJ23

Ha, that would be the Dolphins admitting that their old front office made the biggest mistake by passing on Quinn the first time around.

I wouldn't mind Weis being gone as an ND fan haha. Of course I'd much rather see Quinn on the Jets. I'm holding out!

16. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

That would be an amazing get for the Tuna.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think it's crazy at all.

18. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

19. JetGreen83

JetGreen83 New Member

I really like Joe Flacco. I attend the University of Delaware and have seen Flacco play numerous times. He is extremely calm under pressure and carried the team to the national championship game.

Not only is he 6'6" 235 but he has a cannon for an arm. He is a massive QB who is extremely hard to bring down a lot like Roethlisberger. Flacco was a transfer from Pitt because he didn't want to sit behind Palko when he could carve up defenses in Division 1-AA, which he did.

20. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Flacco looked great during the FCS playoffs. I wouldn't mind him if the coaching staff doesn't think that the free agents would be viable backups for Clemens.