NYJ/KC - Draft Positioning Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WW85, Dec 23, 2007.

1. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

our 280 pound number 4 pick overall mediocre at best left tackle says hi. better?

2. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Much better.

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

We didn't have to take him. There were plenty of quality guys in the draft after D'Brick. Don't blame it on the draft position.

4. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

If you take a LT no 4 overall be better be MUCH better than what we got.

5. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I was wondering the same thing. Everyone is saying the jets got the 6th pick, but according to nfl.com it looks like we have #4. I would also like for someone to please clarify.

6. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

What does that have to do with my argument? I'm saying there is no difference between 3 and 6 for practical purposes. I trust in Tanenbaum. D'Brick hasn't lived up to the hype so far but that helps my argument - current management is better at finding diamonds in the rough later in the draft than knowing what to do early in the 1st round. If anything, we should be trading down (unless someone drops to us that shouldn't).

7. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

The point is that you can't say that they are money in the draft when their highest draft pick has been a major disappointment.

8. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

No...Don't assume we would've traded. Based on history, it's very difficult to do so.

9. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Vernon Gholston? He'll be eaten alive in the pro game, and the 3-4 won't help him. 6-3 255? Let's examine the history of guys that size trying to make it in the league as D-ends that were first round picks:

Kamerion Wimbley: Now a linebacker
    Mathias Kiwanuka: Mostly a linebacker
    Demarcus Ware: Played a little of both in college, now a linebacker
    Erasmus James: Bust
    Jason Babin: Kinda good, injured
    Jerome McDougle: Bust
    Calvin Pace: Looking like a bust, had a pretty good year though

The success stories are bigger and faster:

Tamba Hali 6'3" 275
    Mario Williams 6'7" 285
    Ty Warren 6'5" 300
    Will Smith 6'3" 282

Now, last I remember, Gholston didn't have life-changing speed like Williams. The one who plays in the 3-4, Ty Warren, also happens to be the biggest. D-Ends have a huge bust rate, and Gholston needs about 30 pounds. Unless the Jets plan on making him an LB, which they don't need, I'd pass and look to trade down.

10. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

If you're gonna try to bash a guy don't compare him to Ware.

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

You don't think we need a pass rushing OLB? To me that is almost as much a need for our D as a stout NT is.

12. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

I'd look NT and OT first. If they're converting him to LB, then so be it. The management knows more than I do. But a lot of people are posting his name acting like he will be a game-changing D-End. With his size, I just can't see it happening in the NFL. It's not like he's Freeney where he's noticeably faster than everyone else, either.

13. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

You shouldn't need to draft OL or a NT that high...

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He is going to be a linebacker, and right now, he's the guy I want the Jets to take the most. We don't need a linebacker? Last time I checked, we have nobody on our team that can rush the passer save for occasionally Bowens. It also never hurts to draft big pass rushers, and in the 3-4, that is the part we are missing more than any other.

15. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

All good points but I think the Jets can make the playoffs with the D they have right now. Their offense is beyond embarrassing. Thats what they need to be drafting. They need the ability to make big plays.

16. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Why is that? I guess the best player available concept doesn't apply to football. If you pick higher the more options you have.

17. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

And you base this on two drafts? The second of which we moved up to pick what was clearly the best cornerback in the 2007 draft who looks to have an incredibly bright future in the person of Revis? Let's be clear, in their first draft, management found two fourth round diamonds in the rough in Brad Smith and Washington, but one could argue Smith's hype is bigger than his actual production. I'd wait for more of a fact base than make definitive statements like the above...

18. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

OLB - Thomas, Gholston
    ILB - Harris, Vilma
    Bench - Barton, Hobson

I really think we'll be taking Gholston now. The pressure to take McFadden or Long would have been tremendous. That LB unit, looking at starters and depth, would be sick.

19. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of Brick, and he hasn't yet lived up to his potential and draft status, but to say he's been a major disappointment is way off base. He's shut down some of the best pass rushers in the league this season, consistantly.

20. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

Vilma stays then, in the 3-4?