Harris

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JoeWillie130, Dec 30, 2007.

1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Another great game for him. He really has a great closing speed when he sees a chance for a tackle or a sack. Imagine what his numbers would have looked like had he played the entire year. I think him Revis and Rhodes are top notch talent that you can really build a good defense around.

Defense played another solid game. Great against the run and good against the pass except for that one drive. I am really looking forward to see what the defense can do if we get some bigger bodies up front and find someone who can rush the passer.

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Vilma needs to be traded- the guy isn't a MLB in the 3-4 and is certainly is not versatile enough to be an OLB.

Harris has made Vilma completely expendable.

3. billo83

billo83 Member

And add a compentent DC.

4. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

how do u figure that? the jets drafted harris so that he would help out vilma. Barton is terrible. Did u see that muffed tackle in the backfield. Vilma is much better than Barton and therefore is most definitely not expendable. Vilma will excel with Harris there because he has a big body next to him. Guards were able to simply attack Vilma because the offense didn't fear anybody else in the LB corps. But now with Harris there, teams are gonna have to worry about both of them as they are both very solid tacklers. Plus, even if Vilma doesn't work out at ILB, he can be moved to OLB and the jets have been experimenting him at safety. I dont know if its gonna work or not but he is versatile enough to play multiple positions.

5. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

I liked what they said about Vilma as a bargaining chip with Cincy for Chad Johnson on the SNY Postgame Show (LOVE this show).

Ocho Cinco
    Coles
    Cotchery

sounds realllly nice. Coles probably won't play more than two more seasons, enough time to bump Cotch back up to #2 and see if Chansi can play the #3 spot

6. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

oh right, this is a thread about Harris.

BEAST!

I almost felt sorry for Croyle on one play that he was sacked by Harris. But not really. Its gonna be really exciting to watch this man through training camp and next season.

7. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Few things............

Harris is definitely an important part of the defensive resurgence of the Jets. He seems to always be in the right place at the correct time. I even saw Harris in coverage a couple of times and it looked liked he did well.

He is certainly a bright spot. If he improves next year and the Jets can get some quality help in front and next to him he is going to be something special, hopefully a Klecko type of player we will be talking about for the next ten years or longer.

8. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Vilma is too small for any of those positions. We should do him and us a favor and trade him. Asking a smallish MLB in a 4/3 to play in a 3/4 is like asking Kerry Rhodes to play MLB in a 4/3. It is a very different position with completely different responsiblities. Let Vilma go an be a great player in a somone elses 4/3 and get whatever we can.

9. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

i feel that if we get vilma a big body up front...he is going to be great....same situation in baltimore with ray lewis, they drafter haloti ngata and he remerged again and had another great year...ray lewis isnt much bigger than vilma i believe and harris there should help him out....

and harris is emerging to be the best defensive player on this team....revis is also another great spot...and get d'brick a body next to him, he will be fine, i guarentee d'brick's poor play was all on the LG position because pretty much D'brick was playin both spots lol....i mean he had to worry about that spot and make sure who ever there wasnt gettin beat and had to worry about his own neck....and all year long, hes been linin up against the best...

this team knows how to draft so im pumped for this draft comin up in 08'

10. MK1

MK1 Member

I Hobson leaves for FA couldn't the Jets move Vilma into the outside LB position?

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Look at all the best OLB's. Then look at how big they all are. Then ask the question again. In a word............... no freaking way.

12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Ray Lewis is 6'1" 250lbs. He outweighs Vilma by 20lbs. Ray Lewis is an ILB "thumper" Vilma is not.

I think people are confusing the issue here. No one is questioning if Vilma is a great player. Like most every player in the NFL, he thrives in a certain system. He cannot perform well in the system that the current HC and DC has instituted.

He has to be traded ---- now. The sooner we can move forward w/o him, the better.

13. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

The reason why the defense has been playing well as of late is Sione Pouha. Before Pouha started to get more playing time, it was just Harris getting all the tackles and teams running all over us.

14. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

but if Vilma is traded what do i do with my $300 authentic home jersey??????

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Thats the price you pay for going authentic.

I'm still wearing the old #94 Abraham, just because I really haven't been all that enthused to purchase another replical jersey. Harris has changed that.

16. NYJetsFan26

NYJetsFan26 New Member

Speaking of jerseys, I still have Glenn Foley white away jersey, no one outside the Jets even knows who Foley is anymore, I also have Home green Chrebet and everyone ofcourse knows who wayne is, as for the real topic, I say keep Vilma, Harris, Rhodes and Revis together, build a defense with young fast talent, they HAVE to get some beef up front, if they want to use a 3-4 then you have to have road blockers up front so these LB's can fly around the field and kill the QB. The only way I trade Vilma is if the offer is to good to pass on, Chad Johnson would be nice but if the O-line doesn't improve then neither Penny or Clemens will be able to get the ball to Johnson anyway.

17. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

btw i cant wait for the first"what jersey's do you own" thread this offseason

18. CHREBETSTHEBEST80

CHREBETSTHEBEST80 New Member

I would keep Vilma and Harris in the middle. Let Hobson go and release Barton. I think Thomas will be ok, we cant release him b/c of his big contract and you cant have 4 great linebackers. I would find an outside lb in the draft and maybe a good free agent. I would trade Robertson and find a bigger Nose Tackle. Our secondary is 9th in the league so i think if we can maybe get rid of Barret and if Dyson is healthy we are good there. We dont need a WR this year maybe next year though. J-Mac should be released. Clemens should be a good starter next year, give him a solid o-line Thomas Jones and McFadden in the backfield with two good receivers we will be good next year. Anyway the Jets are good every other year.

19. jmac6311

jmac6311 New Member

Vilma

I wouldn't trade Vilma unless we get value in return. I wouldn't trade him for a 4th round pick just for the sake of trading him. I think if the Jets play better up front Vilma would do fairly well next to Harris. He won't be the dynamic player he was in the 4/3 but I think he'd get 100 tackles.

20. K. Wright52

K. Wright52 New Member

David Harris is real good we got lucking in terms of drafting him. We need a pass rushing linebacker like Quentin Groves 6-3 254 he would help out.Victor hobson and Eric Barton isn't cutting guys we need to get better talent