Top 20 Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7592192?MSNHPHMA

Gibril Wilson and Justin Smith are my favorite reasonable options on this list.

1. Colts safety Bob Sanders ? A bona fide difference-maker and game-changer. Sanders is a big play waiting to happen and earlier this year seemed a lock for Defensive Player of the Year. During last year's Super Bowl run, Indy's defense couldn't stop a nose from running ... until Sanders returned from injury. Suddenly, they were a totally different ballclub. For teams unable to land him, the Giants' Gibril Wilson, Dallas' Ken Hamlin and Patriots' Eugene Wilson would add immediate impact at the safety position.

2. Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen ? Pass rushers are at a premium in this league and Allen has been virtually unstoppable this year. Missed two games early due to DWIs but has cleaned up his act. He says he hasn't had a drink in over a year and adamantly insists he has zero desire to ever have another drink again. Young up-and-coming pass rushers get paid in this league and Allen is on his way to a major check cashing.

3. Patriots WR Randy Moss ? Maybe he's not the right fit for every team out there, but when he does find a fit he's proven to be unstoppable. Moss has been the most explosive offensive weapon in the NFL this season and it's hard to imagine the Patriots will not roll out the green carpet of cash for him. By the way, his WR mate Donte Stallworth has a huge $6 million bonus due this off-season that will likely cause the Pats to either re-do him as well or set him free. The rest of this year's WRs available are far from great but they have some bright prospects like Jerry Porter, Patrick Crayton, Bernard Berrian and Devery Henderson.

4. Steelers OG Alan Faneca ? The best offensive lineman available via free agency, Faneca can play all over the line and has the leadership and attitude 32 out of 32 coaches would give their left arm to have. They may have to (plus sell a few other limbs) to come up with the cash that will land this stud. The offensive line as a whole is weak in this year's UFA class. Old vets like Larry Allen and Ruben Brown will be available and a guy like Miami's Rex Hadnot can play center or guard.

5. Patriots corner Asante Samuel ? Like pass rushers, there's a premium on cover corners in this league and in a solid group available, Samuel is the best of the bunch. Unlike some cover corners, he's also solid against the run and is never afraid to deliver a blow. The Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha and Seattle's Marcus Trufant round out a great top three. Considering what Nate Clements made last off-season, this trio should be about to hit a whole different financial world. Brian Kelly adds to this list.

6. Titans DT Albert Haynesworth ? This may be a little high because of character concerns but actually a little low when talking about talent. Haynesworth has been a wrecking crew this year and when he was hurt, those around him clearly suffered.

7. Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha ? Because of his talent, potential and position he moves up the list and resides in our top 10.

8. Bears LB Lance Briggs ? The best LB on the open market. He's a perfect fit for a Tampa-Two defense but has the speed, athleticism and smarts to play in any system. Briggs is an explosive player, loved in the locker room and would provide an instant burst to any defense. Overall the linebackers in the open market are weak.

9. Ravens LB/DE Terrell Suggs ? Remember what we said about pass rushers? Suggs is a proven commodity when it comes to making the life of a QB miserable.

10. Dallas OT Flozell Adams ? Teams need solid tackles to protect against guys like Allen and Suggs, and Adams is the best on the list. A perennial Pro Bowler, Adams always seems like he should be more dominant but he's still more than solid. The lack of offensive line talent in the free-agent market has pushed him up our list.

11. Colts TE Dallas Clark ? A solid weapon in the Colts offense, Clark is not a conventional tight end, which means he doesn't fit every system. However, in the systems he does fit in, he can cause fits for defensive schemes. The ultimate cover-2 buster, he'd be a huge loss to the Colts if he bolted. The Eagles' L.J. Smith is the best of the rest on this list.

12. Chargers QB Philip Rivers ? Rivers is able to void his deal due to playing-time incentives he reached last year. There is a huge void of good QBs in this league and despite an inconsistent season, Rivers has shown enough to be a solid starter. Considering guys like Rex Grossman and Daunte Culpepper highlight, or lowlight, the list of UFAs at the position, Rivers' stock soars on our list.

13. Cowboys RB Julius Jones ? Proven featured running backs are hard to come by for some teams.

14. Cincy DE Justin Smith ? He made our list last year and despite the Bengals' struggles he's still a stud on the defensive line.

15. Seattle CB Marcus Trufant ? See above talk of corners. William James and Drayton Florence add depth to this group and Denver's Dre Bly has a $9 million option which means he'll likely get cut free as well.

16. Dallas WR Patrick Crayton ? He was tremendous this year filling in for the injured Terry Glenn and showed he's certainly worthy of a starting role.

17. Chargers RB Michael Turner ? L.T.'s backup is held in very high regard by many personnel people throughout the league. Tennessee and Green Bay were interested him as an RFA and more should show him love as a UFA. The Browns' Jamal Lewis rounds out the RBs.

18. Giants safety Gibril Wilson ? Michael Strahan once called Wilson "the best rookie I've ever played with." He wasn't a one-hit wonder and has been a very solid safety ever since. The Patriots' Eugene Wilson adds depth to this list along with the Browns' Gary Baxter.

19. Browns RB Jamal Lewis ? He's shown he can still make noise, especially in cold-weather games. He's a bit older and obviously had off-field issues but he's still reliable down the stretch.

20. Eagles TE L.J. Smith ? He's a young tight end who needs to stay healthy but has the talent to be a solid player for a long time.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Asomugha is the most underrated corner in the league. I would love to him become a Jet and play opposite of Revis. He'd be much cheaper than Samuel.

3. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Nice post Nes, I was thinking about asking for some info on this subject, just this morning. I like Haynesworth, he's returned well after last years problems, I don't see Woody forking out for Faneka but this close season will spell out Woody and his ambitions for this ball club.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Hmm , no Ryan Lilja? Hes top of my list. Any of these would be welcome...

Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
    A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but there?s a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he could easily stay because of it.

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He?s 25 and is listed at 6?7? while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team?s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
    Suggs is somewhat versatile and has become a volatile opposing presence for offenses. He has the ability to play at the linebacker spot and also attack from the line at the end spot. He has grown into a top pass rusher and presents match-up problems for most teams. He?s been near or above double digit sack totals in each of his four seasons with eight being his low. He is a true talent and will attract some large offers from various teams, but Baltimore will do everything they can to sign him to an extension, especially considering that he doesn?t turn 25 until October.

Lance Briggs, UFA, Chicago Bears
    Since 2004, Briggs has been a standout linebacker for the Bears. He?s overshadowed by Brian Urlacher much of the time, but Briggs gets the job done as is evidenced by the fact that he?s totaled more than 100 tackles in each of the past three seasons and that he?s added four sacks and five interceptions over that time. Teams are going to line up to try and entice Briggs to come play for them, and whichever team lands him will be adding one of the top weak-side defenders in the league. The chances of Briggs leaving seem good.

Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans
    Haynesworth has come into the season determined to have a great year. He has a single sack through three games, but he seems to be getting pressure up the middle consistently, and is helping to allow other defensive linemen to have an even greater impact themselves. While quarterback Vince Young is a major reason for the team?s success so far, Haynesworth and the defense he is helping to lead are also contributing significantly. If Haynesworth can keep up his current play, the Titans will find it hard to let him leave via free agency, as it would create a sizable hole to fill.

5. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Suggs is definitely number 1 on my offseason wish list

6. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Jets FA Needs:

Oline -

Lilja and Starks would be my focus - young and experienced in the playoffs - a starter at G and RT. I love Faneca but would rather have the younger - less expensive Lilja if he's there. Faneca would cost a ransome but would be a leader.

Defense:

There are no real NT's or 3-4 DE's on that list. Smith cannot handle the pounding at DE in a 34 IMO. Suggs is a difference maker in the right defense, I'd consider looking at him.

I'd love another corner, but an impact DE and NT are more critical -

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Crayton would be a good pickup.

#7 Rambo13, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  8. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I will take Asomugha and the more reasonable contract over Samuel who will ask for the moon and the stars.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for Samuel/Asmougha, Suggs, and Lilja, Starks, or Andrews.

We have the cap room, and free agency is AMAZING this year, so I hope we spend it.

BTW, why isn't it being talked about more around the NFL (not just here) that Moss is a free agent? I hadn't even known that before.

10. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

No love for Dansby?

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I'd love for the Jets to address the offensive line, but honestly I'd be happy if they made a play for at least one of the O or D-lineman on this list. I'd really be surprised if they did though. Just don't see it.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

He'll just keep being underrated.

I don't like Lilja for us at all. The problem with this team is size, and putting an undersized guard next to an undersized LT doesn't seem like much of a move.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We could change the zone blocking system, something like Denver's where undersized linemen or linemen under 300 pounds thrive.

It could be effective, but I'm with you on getting a BIG guard and tackle.

14. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Gibril Wilson is not good don't want him thanks.

Don't know much about this Asomugha as I haven't watched many raiders game this year.

I still think Suggs would be worth the money if he isn't franchised.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Asomugha probably wont be underrated anymore because the man will want a big enough deal, taking Oakland doesnt franchise him which would be foolish on their part.

16. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Asmougha/Revis would be the best corner combination in the league in a year or two

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Gibril Wilson is very good...and he's a major upgrade over Erik Coleman/Eric Smith.

I like Eric Smith, but I can't see him starting.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Agreed, Wilson is a guy I like alot. He's still very young too.

19. drownedjetsfan

drownedjetsfan New Member

terrell suggs at olb eugene wilson free safety marcus trufant cb alan faneca guard and patrick crayton wr ....... this would be awesome but i doubt it happens.

20. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

simply sign andrews for RT , Bell for LG , Wilson at Safety and sign suggs!!

Trade CP and JV but keep LC.

Move hobson inside. Draft Mcfadden and package the 2nd rounder we get for vilma plus our own second and next years fourth to move up into first and draft the best available DT/DE