A Viable Trade Involving Vilma.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ToddtoBarkum, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rillo

rillo New Member

I rather Roy Williams over Chad Johnson. Especially with an inexperienced QB

2. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Fuckin like it! - Trading vilma for Roy Williams and a 4th rounder sounds good to me , Coles (Does still have very good speed) , Cotchery and a big physical play making receiver like Roy Williams , OHHH BOY~! It works out well for the Lions to there trying to build there defense and adding a proven 4-3 play maker in vilma to go along with young ernie sims and big shaun rogers in the middle. Plus everything is still fine for them at reciever with young Calvin Johnson on the rise.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's a possibility. It's going to depend on which knee had the injury, the one that was unstable at Miami or the other one. If it's the former he's toast, if it's the latter then it's just a knee and he might not be.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

If you were a GM, would you trade away any value for a player coming off of microsurgery who is still walking with crutches?

If you did, you wouldnt have a job for very long.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Any trade involving Vilma in '08 will probably happen in-season before the trade deadline... which is pretty rare.

6. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Matt Millen is incompetent though.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the surgeries compare but Drew Brees was traded after having off-season shoulder surgery to his throwing arm. I think that was a second rounder? edit: As pointed out by later posts, Brees was a FA and did not cost the Saints any draft picks.

The Saints have done OK since then, no?

#27 WhiteShoeWillis, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  8. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I have not heard anything about microfracture surgery...but as I said earlier, it would just be another page in the saga of the franchises history if the one position/player we have depth at that could bring back value in a trade, was hurt to the point that the injury is career threatening.

9. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I love these Fantasy trades... Like Detroit is going to split up what could be one of the better WR tandems in the league if they reach close to thier potential. I'm sure that is high on the "To Do" list of the Lions. They'll get right on that...

10. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Good point. So is Peterson. Maybe the Jets can find a sucker to pull the trigger on a trade without knowing the extent of his recovery.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Brees signed with the Saints as a free agent...but your point is still valid.

12. Murrell2878

I actually thought something would have happened this year before the deadline (I even started a thread about it) which would have been before he was injured.

13. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Not exactly. Brees signed a contract with the Saints as an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Did they have to give up anything to sign him?

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know they were shopping him to the Skins in the offseason, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did it next season. Tannenbaum is pretty trade-happy sometimes. I think they'd have to find a team pretty desperate for a MLB to get them to trade after the season starts and the rosters are finalized, though. Injury-desperate.

15. Murrell2878

He was Unrestricted. No the Saints did not have to give up anything for him. They placed the Franchise tag on him after the 2005 season. When you sign a Restricted Free Agent you usually have to give up what ever the other team tenders them as and they have the option to match the offer if they choose to (Curtis Martin, Lav Coles)

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I am sorry but even if a GM is a babbling idiot ( I think Millen is at least 1 tiers higher than this) why would they trade for Vilma a month after surgery.

Shit if it takes a year to recover, he is not re-signing with the Jets anyhow. Let him rehab off the Jets tit and sign him in free agency. It may not be cheaper money wise but you are not giving up squat player or pickwise for an unknown quantity which any player coming off surgery is, no matter how good they were.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe the odds favor a Matt Millen resignation before February. The Lion's ownership doesn't want to fire him because they like him but the fanbase has turned irrevocably against him after the recent collapse. He'll do the right thing and bow out.

18. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Thanks, that's what i thought.

I had asked, if you were a GM, would you give up value for Vilma while he is still in rehab. Taking a flyer on an UFA is different than giving up a player or a pick to get him.

19. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I would trade Vilma for Roy in a second but I don't think the Lions would that.

20. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I can't see Detroit making that deal