A Viable Trade Involving Vilma.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ToddtoBarkum, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

The discussion around the tailgate 2 weeks ago was our needs for the 2008 season. On top of the list are OLB, DL and WR. The consensus says that the upcoming draft is full of defensive talent, for a teram drafting in the top 6, but rather short on big time WR prospects.

So amongst the 11 of us we all were in agreement that trading Vilma and a 4th rounder to the Lions for Roy Williams, was a win win situation.

We get an NFL experienced and proven bit time, down the field, physical WR, that can and will go up and get the ball...Can you say Randy Moss light?? This would allow Coles and Cotchery to work underneath, which they have proven are their strengths....There are not many, if at all any, nickle and dime backs in the NFL that could handle either of them physically in or around 10-15 yeards from the liine of scrimmage.

:eek:fftopic: Ding! Ding! Ding!, That is why our Offense is geared to 10-15 yard passing plays....It has less to do with the QB's arm strength and more to do with using the strength of our WR's, that strength being their physical nature... If you disagree, then explain to me why the Jets have been running the same offense that we did when Chad was at QB? Everyone under the sun knows Clemens has a stronger arm, but we still run 7 - 15 yard pass routes outside the numbers, and why do we still run the fade every damn time we are inside the 10 yard line? because both situations allow Coles and Cotchery to use their best attribute, their toughness. Neither of them have the speed or route ruinning ability to get away from a defensive back..... :eek:fftopic: Sorry about that I needed to vent and try to add some insight.

So let's get back to the trade....

The Lions get the defensive impact leader they so desire. Putting Vilma behind Rogers (DT) and in between Sims and Bailey makes the Lions defensive front seven a force.

Why include a 4th rounder?? We have to sweeten the pot to get this deal done. How quickly and at what capacity will Vilma come back? This will be the question asked by any GM we approach regarding trading Vilma. We have to make the move just that more enticing. The old adage is that you have to give up something to get something....and the immediate presence that Roy Willimas would bring to our offense is IMO so valuable that it outways any impact a 2nd day draft pick would or could provide...

Any thoughts???

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'd do it. I don't think they'd do it, though. I think they would want a higher pick back with Vilma since Williams is an offensive playmaker while Vilma really hasn't been for 2 years, and you'd be gambling on him returning back to form in the 4-3. Will it happen? Doubt it, but it's interesting to think about.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I predict Vilma can't pass a physical and will not be able to be traded.

4. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

A point we thought of as well, which would only add a page to the agony of being a Jets fan...

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If they would do it, I'd take it.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I don't get why in these trades we're always giving up an extra pick. I understand the need to move Vilma elsewhere but to include a 4th round pick for Roy Williams as well? Why can't it just be Vilma for Williams. Both when healthy (and Williams is out for the season as well) are at the top in their positions.

No need to include draft picks to get rid of Vilma

EDIT - on top of that why should WE sweeten the deal. We're giving up a player who goes non stop every play even though he is clearly playing out of position while Roy Williams often doesn't play up to his potential.

7. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

Our thinking is that the Jets need Williams more that the Lions need Vilma, and to ge tthe deal done we woould have to sweeten the pot...

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

whether its because of our system or not, vilma's value has taken a huge hit the last to years...theres no way around it....wed have to throw some sort of a pick in

9. Murrell2878

Meh...they'd do the trade Vilma for Roy straight up. They had a better offense when it was just Roy Williams and Furrey. They can have that offense with Furrey and Calvin Johnson.

10. Murrell2878

So has Roy Williams. If you want to mention Vilma's injury, Roy is out for the year too. It's a wash. We don't need to include draft picks to trade Vilma - certainly not in this scenario.

11. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

roy williams is their one wr draft pick that has panned out...no way they trade him
    roy and calvin are possibly the two untouchable players on their team this offseason
    shaun mcdonald or furrey might be on the market for a 3rd or 4th

12. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing....why would Detroit trade Williams?

13. thegoldengod

i would like to see how free agency looks before making a trade for a wr
    berrian/crayton/b. johnson/dj hackett are all solid

14. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

My scenario would make them a more well-rounded team. Trading from a stength to stengthen another position are the type of trades that all successful GM's make - regardless of the sport they are affiliated with.

15. thegoldengod

we are talking about a gm that drafted 3 straight 1st round wrs...took a year off and then drafted calvin johnson
    he is not going to go and trade the one proven dominant wr of the group that isnt making him look like an idiot
    vilma for a wr isnt a bad idea...and roy williams would be a great deal, but i wouldnt say the trade is viable
    calvin johnson hasnt exactly been lighting it up either

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

bryant johnson is another j-slack...why do you think AZ drafted Fitz and Boldin? Crayton is a #3 getting #2 looks because of TO and Witten...hasn't impressed until this year, and even then, he's been spotty. I think Berrian, now that he's learned how to hold on the ball, could be the guy. Don't know enough about Hackett to have an opinion.

All that said, none of these guys can hold a candle to a healthy Coles...since cotch is locked up, we need to start looking towards a new #1...and I think Williams could be that guy. I'd trade the out-of-place and about to be a UFA Vilma in a second for him, especially since y'all know Vilma's gonna walk at the end of next season.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i would look at berrian

jil

18. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

i'd rather do that trade with cincy and get CJ.

19. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

You really think the Lions are going to trade half the WR picks that have worked out for them?

20. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I also would rather trade with cin for CJ but I don't know if the go for it now since Vilma is injured. CJ is worth more than a injured Vilma.