The real question - WTF was with Mangini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gotta fix somethings for ya here:

Tannenbaum was the cap guy when the Jets got INTO trouble. No, the signings were not his decision by any means, they were Parcells and Bradways, however he was the architect of the trap.

The Jets current cap situation is a result of some very classy maneuvering on the part of their aging players, mainly Vinny Testaverde and Curtis Martin, to allow cap relief via constant renegotiation instead of just demanding to be cut. This is why the cap situation did not blow up in their faces suddenly in any given season.

And of course the cap is not an impediment to anybody with half a brain at the moment (read anybody but Dan Snyder) due to the enormous increase last season in the new CBA and to the coming increase this season which will also be very large.

Finally, nobody rational thinks the Jets shsould be contending for a Super Bowl this season. Nobody rational thinks they should have collapsed to 3-11 either, given the lack of injuries and the opportunity to sign impact free agents last off-season.

The Jets just failed to do anything meaningful in the off-season in terms of talent and somehow we are supposed to give Mangini a free pass because he vomited this clusterfuck of useless talent onto the field this season.

2. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

This is another fine example of the idiots that reside on this board! Wake up. He did a great job preparing for this game and the result was a close game where we actually had a chance to win. I'm amazed at the completely idiotic remarks that the majority of posters make on this site. You guys make me sick.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

The thing is cap trouble is almost always inevitable. You have to remember that the Jets were actually a decent team with decent talent at one point this decade. This usually means money was spent, but all of it became dead weight reeeeal fast.

True.

True.

Impact free agents such as.....? Thomas? Why would he come here?

True...Harris...Revis...Coleman...no talent there...

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

What the heck is wrong with Mangini's face . It looks like he may have a some blotches that really should be looked at by a physician.

5. Br4d

Eric Steinbach? Browns look awfully good with him at LG this season.

Leonard Davis? Can't make the comparison to the Cowboys here, because they are obviously well ahead of the Jets in talent, but boy does their offense look better with Davis at LG.

The offensive line talent was out there but the Jets went super-cheap, not even paying Kendall to stay and the seeds of a disastrous season were sowed.

Didn't know the NFL was a 3-on-3 league. The Jets would still be shy a player in that configuration because Coleman is not a good player. The Patriots ran at him all day and were successful. People have run at him all season to the tune of nearly 6 yards a carry. That's just terrible. Of course it does not help him that he has D-Rob on one shoulder and Hobson on the other.

6. Br4d

Stress?

He's way over-matched at the moment and the wreck is all around him. I'd be surprised if he wasn't showing some signs right now.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh get out of here. Stop being pathetic. The Jets last year went 10-6 and made the playoffs in a season where NO ONE EXPECTED anything close to that. The Jets could have gone 0-16 this season and Mangini would be back. That's not even a question.

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If we we do not pick up some bigtime add-ons to Mangold and Ferguson, we are going no where next year. Our offensive line is pathetic. We can not run the ball to save our asses. A lot of people are screaming MacFadden, but if we had a top tier offensive line TJ and leon would do some serious damage.
    Plus, we might not let our starting QB get injured as often as we have seemed to over the last couple of years.

Our defense...........OMG, everyone runs on us at will. If these boneheads in the front office do not put a giant body in the middle this off-season we should throw away the 3-4 for ever. If we keep the 3-4 and think our defensive line will some how getbetter all by itself we will be somewhere between 26th and 32nd against the run next year again. The other thing is - we need a power/speed rushing DE - we must apply more pressure on the oposing QB. When these guys have all day to throw, they pick you apart. Our sacks being way down this year must have signaled something to somebody..........duh...........I mean duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

9. Br4d

The thing that's sad is that the Jets obviously improved the secondary in the offseason. The way they got Revis may well have forestalled any improvement in the pass rush, but jeez the coverage has been good at times and the Qb still got to sit back there until somebody came open.

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Read my posts a little bit before you start with the :rolleyes: and the colorful language.

I did not say I wanted him fired. Not yet, at least. I have to see what happens in the next two games. Then I'll let you know for sure if I want him to be fired or to be brought back.

He has had more than 15 minutes, by the way. He has coached almost two full seasons. Oh, and that bit you wrote about what the Jets were supposed to be in 2006? Nothing but poppycock.

#50 Cakes, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  11. millertime0109

millertime0109 New Member

Guys, I look at it a little different. Mangini is still the man, the bottom line is we do not have a lot of talent. Maybe, just maybe the reason we are in alomost every game we have played this year even with the lack of talent is because of his coaching. I feel much better about the defense right now, we need to focus on the O, especially getting some help on the line and a playmaker at WR. If you really look at the O- Line we had 2 big mistakes. The missed block by Clark that got Clemons hurt and that HUGE holding penelty by Clements at the end of the game. These two is where we suffer every week on the line, upgrading these two positions is a priority this off season.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

LOL really? You expected 10-6?

You expected a team coming off a 4-12 season...with a rookie at LT and C...a QB coming off two town rotator cuff surgeries...and a defense that was switching schemes to be good?

Really?

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Well, true. Our defensive backfield seems to be one of our stronger suits. Hopefully, we can give them the supporting cast they need to be a formidable defense.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That'd improve things fast...speed, pass rush, and size (with a motor).

15. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

What about our defensive line making every running back in the league look like Jim Brown? We must do something drastic there for sure.

What you said about the offensive line is also a recognized concern. Keep Mangold, Ferguson, and possible Bender, but everyone else must go.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I thought 5-11 was more likely.

You didn't get my point at all.

It's poppycock to say we should give Mangini a pass for this awful 2007 season in large part because he went 10-6 in 2006 when fans and the media thought the team was going to suck.

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Maybe not 10-6, but I think most people who actually pay close attention to the team knew that the issue in 2005 was not necessarily lack of talent, but injuries....

We lost our Pro Bowl C for the year with a triceps tear... In 2006, we was replaced with the best C in the draft, who looked game-ready from week one in TC....

We lost our QB for the year with a torn rotator cuff. He was back healthy, and won a 3-man competition for the job in TC... He started all 16 games.... If you had told anyone that our QB would be back for all 16 games in 2006, they'd have said we'd have gone at least 8-8

We lost our 2nd leading tackler, Barton, for the season in 2005....

We even lost our BACKUP QB in 2005....

To anyone who really paid attention, all the 2006 Jets were was a healthier, younger, and (supposedly) better managed version of the 2004 Jets, who were a kick away from the AFC Championship game.... Growing pains were expected with the new Coaching staff, but anyone who expected a 2005 repeat clearly did not pay much attention

18. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Dude... awesome avatar... who is that?

19. millertime0109

millertime0109 New Member

I do agree with you 100%, we do need to get bigger on the defense line as well, but that being said since the bye week it has become clearly evident to me that are biggest weekness is the offense. The Pat run game was effective today but not the reason they won. Until the 4th, we could not generate any drives. The D was on the field way too long in the first half.

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If we are tight wad in the FA market I will shit myself. We need 2 impact, marquis offensive linemen. We need a monster NT - if the guy isn't 360+ pounds he doesn't belong there or we get away from the stinking 3-4. We need a rushing DE and we don't have one.