Bobby Petrino resigns; will coach Arkansas

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by twinjetfan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

He's faster than the vast majority of LBs, yes, but there are freaks at LBs too. Boss Bailey, for one.

and what has he done since then? Prove that the Falcons made a mistake by giving him that money by never becoming a real QB.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Jimmy Johnson did but I can't for the life of me think of another. The list that didn't include Spurrier, Saban and now Petrino. The really good college coaches know their place and stay in college like Osborn, Paterno and Bowden all who could have coached in the NFL if they had wanted to.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Boss Bailey ran a 4.45 and was labeled a "freak" because he had an insane vertical jump...something like 45 inches.

Since then:

2003: Vick broke his leg.

2004: He threw 14 TDs and 12 INTs, but rushed for 900 yards. A mediocre year.

2005: It was nearly the same as 2004, except Vick's rushing stats took a big drop.

2006: He had a Pro-Bowl year, and was an MVP candidate for the 2nd time in his career. He threw 20 TDs with 13 INTs and ran for 1000 yards.

2007: He was arrested on criminal dog fighting charges and is now sitting in jail for the next 23 months.

Look at what he did in 2006 and tell me that he wasn't progressing. His mistakes ruined what could've been a Hall of Fame career.

I liked watching Michael Vick. I've followed his career since he became the starter early at VT. It's a shame that he did what he did.

#43 Mr Electric, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dennis Erikson, Lou Holtz, and Peter Carroll were pretty bad.

Lane Kiffin of the Raiders can't be judged YET. He has two more years to turn that team around before I will judge him.

5. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

How did this thread become a discussion about 40 times.

In any case, I was watching Inside the NFL for the first time in 2 years tonight, and apparently Petrino asked Blank on Monday, before the game, for permission to seek another job. Following up on a talk they had a previous week, Blank said no, and that they're in this to build something together. I mean, he did sign a 5 year contract. Petrino then turned around, and on Tuesday (game plan day) left the building for 4 hours (presumably to look into another position), and then informed the Falcons that he was resigning to sign on with Arkansas.

What a jerkoff. Ignored the lack of permission granted by upper management, and went ahead with it anyway.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

People bash Mangini all the time because of our horrible record this year, but at least he hasn't quit on his team like Petrino has.

Mangini led a pretty mediocre team to the playoffs last year, and a lot of our losses are pretty close. We are still a mediocre team and I think Mangini can get us over that hump.

(and the 40 times came up because Yisman, for some reason, thinks that Michael Vick is, or should I say WAS, untalented)

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

no, 40 times came up because MrElectric is a big fan of falsified 40 times at Va. Tech.

And Yisman thinks that Michael Vick aka Ron Mexico aka Ookie is very talented and has an unprecedented set of tools (starting with the fact that he is one major tool himself). However, Yisman also thinks that #7 never developed into a real quarterback.

8. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

playing devil's advocate: that could be because no one has offered him a big contract to leave the Jets and go to a big time college football program.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Arkansas isn't paying Petrino more than Atlanta was. He just left because he knew that they would suck, and he doesn't want to be seen as a loser.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He isn't a "real" quarterback.

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

ok, I agree.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

they're paying less, I believe. But it's a better situation and it's still big time money. He didn't leave because he was offered more cash.

My point is that if someone offered Mangini big time cash to coach a college program, would he? Maybe not.

13. akibud

akibud Active Member

well said Mr Electric29... I agree with you....

can you picture this Petrino jerk sitting in someones living room preaching about his commitment to their sons future?? I am sure that would make my stomach turn.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/12/13/ramblings/week-in-quotes/5877/

WELL, THE OWNER’S UPSET, HOW DO THE PLAYERS FEEL?

“For him to quit like that, it just shows his true color, like a coward with a yellow stripe down his back. That’s how I look at it.”

– Jaguars defensive end Grady Jackson, who was cut by Petrino in October.

“This league is not for everybody. This league is for real men. I think he realized he didn’t belong here.”

– Falcons safety Lawyer Milloy.

“That’s what I think brought up the anger, to have him talk about family, about team and about commitment, and then to come in here and have a form letter at your locker. That’s not how a man acts. That’s how a coward acts.”

– Falcons quarterback Joey Harrington — yes, that Joey Harrington — on Petrino’s carefree demeanor at Tuesday’s news conference in Arkansas.

“I think it’s already in the trash.”

– Falcons center Todd McClure, on Petrino’s farewell letter.

and there was worse. You should hear what Dunn said.

15. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Just like your team:smile:

Seriously though, what Petrino did is quite embarrassing. Yes, your team currently sucks but everyone knew their results this year weren't exactly his fault, and he definitely would have been given a lot more time by the administration. Now, I really doubt he will get a head coaching job in the NFL anytime soon.

#55 Canadian, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

well, he's in college now and probably doesn't have plans to return to the NFL after this debacle.

17. NYJNYRNYM

NYJNYRNYM New Member

Parcells in atlanta?

You see that atlanta is now rumored to be talkin to Parcells about righting that sinking ship??

the story is on msn's sports page. I dont have enough posts to post a link yet.

I think he could be successful there actually.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Isn't the the slogan for Loews? Let's build something together?

Just thought this was interesting about the whole Petrino/Arkansas thing

Sugar Land, Texas, cornerback Junior Okpara, who orally committed to Arkansas during the summer, switched his pledge to Boston College on Monday evening.

"The problem with Arkansas was the reputation of Coach [Bobby ] Petrino leaving during the season," Okpara said. "And not staying there and his name not being highly thought of like when he was at Louisville. I didn't want to play ball for a coach that had a reputation like that. That kind of drove me away from Arkansas

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/211040

I wonder how many more Arkansas recruits will follow Okpara to other schools. Obviously there are some ramifications to being a sleaze like Petrino is. The funny thing is I saw all these Arkansas idiots on TV doing that Sueeeey crap, well they'll all be screaming bloody murder in 2 years when he leaves for Tennesee or Miami.