We need a playmaker: Draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This is the most simple basic way of explaining it. I couldn't agree more. I can only hope our FO doesn't try to overthink such an obvious course of action if we find ourselves looking at McFadden.

If it comes down to this I hope we can convince a team to trade us a boatload of picks for this kid. If not - I will walk away very satisfied that our FO didn't reach for need or worse trade down for anything less than what the Chargers swindled out of the giants fot Eli.

2. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

you are in serious need of glasses! mcfadden is indeed a finesse runner. he relies on his speed and juke moves to gain yardage. he absolutely does not run with power! i don't know what team you've been watching, but it has not been the same team i've seen play, no matter how many games you claim to of seen.

mcfadden is tall and thin, one good hit/knee injury and he'll never be the same runner again. as far as can't miss, lol.. you might want to look up past history of first rd running backs. there are a ton of busts and then some.

mcfadden reminds me of the penn st runners (ennis and k. carter), one good hit and career over!!!

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm not a big Thomas Jones fan but with Jones and Washington running back is one of the few positions that the Jets don't suck at. We really suck at WR DL, OL and maybe QB. We can be the best team in the league at running back but with so many areas of real need where we really stink, hard to see why we should invest more money in an area we have money and decent talent tied up in.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hey maybe JWWS & the poster who claimed we are only 2 players away from the SB will read this & begin to understand what will be required to turn around the NYJs

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Welcome to the first of 18,000 threads on McFadden, coming soon to a board near YOU!

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

So basically, what I'm hearing is that it's okay to just make the playoffs a half dozen times the next decade, but a Super Bowl isn't required. If it was good enough for Lions fans to watch for the privilege of seeing Sanders, it's good enough for us, right?

Is LT the only playmaker on the Chargers, or are people purposely ignoring the point of my arguments?

Also, a couple years ago, right about this time, I was hearing how Reggie Bush was the best "can't miss" running back in many years. Guess that worked out really well huh?

I thought Vince Young was going to make whatever team that picked him an immediate Super Bowl contender?

Leinart was the real deal, wasn't he?

Are the Vikes suddenly more than a fringe playoff team with Peterson? And are they even that good if they didn't steal a lineman from Seattle?

I love how all our needs can simply be filled in free agency before the draft. We can sign all the best linemen available, and trade for those who aren't. Sure, the NFL has become Madden 09 for the Jets.

Does anyone here realize how ridiculous this is?

7. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Might thinking exactly! I really see this being a realistic scenario.

8. I agree w/ you that RB is far from our biggest needs...but acouple of things...

1. Where we're currently positioned to draft, their really isnt much value in terms of our needs.

2. Our offense seems to really thrive around gadget players..I.E. Washington, Smith, etc...If you've watched McFadden, he doesnt only have potential to be an all time great NFL RB, he also has been effective in college at being a good gadget player.

3. Above all else, this team sorely needs playmakers. McFadden is the best playmaker in the draft and objectively speaking would he help the team? Absolutely.

9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I have to agree with you here, Kurt. If McFadden's staring us in the face we either need to get a Ricky Williams type deal from someone to trade up or just take him. I like TJ but if no one offers us a big trade offer him up for a 3rd rounder or in a package with Penny for a 2nd.

10. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Our most pressing need is D-Line. Preferably a Right DE. I still wish we would have found a way to get Mario Williams.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I have a really short memory (which is good as a Jets fan I guess) but when was the last time the Jets threw a ton of money at a big name FA? Lineman don't come cheep these days.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We are running gadget plays because we can't beat people by just executing we lack talent. A good guard and tackle would help the team more than McFadden at this point along with a stud at WR.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Well, I know I'll be attacked for saying this because it's based on just the one game today, but the way our running attack looked against the Dolphins, why in hell do we need to even consider picking up McFadden if he falls to us?

The tandem of Jones and Washington wasn't good enough today? They didn't show that if you make some holes, they're gonna get yards? Leon was the usual firecracker and Jones pounded every hole he found like a jackhammer. Even Ray Lucas, on SNY afterwards, was fired up about our running game, saying, "This tandem of Jones and Washington is an awesome running attack."

Not good enough, I guess. We should still spend a #5 1st Round pick on a RB.

Okay, yeah, I know, "You're basing our running game against the lowly Dolphins?" Yeah, I am, and here's why: Against the Dolphins, our putrid O-line was able to create some holes, however small. Both Jones and Washington showed they've got what it takes to make the most of it. We crapped all over these people in the 4th quarter, when Jones really lights up after 20 carries. Throw Leon in there on a few unexpected plays and it's no wonder Ray Lucas even used the term "dangerous."

What I'm saying is, think of what Jones-Washington can do if we replace Clarke, Adrian jones and the aging Clement with some huge sweathogs on the line.

I don't even see why we're considering McFadden at this point, for the above reasons. Yeah, it would be good to be sitting at #5 with McFadden available, but in my mind, there's no way in hell I don't trade that off to some starry-eyed team looking to trade up and pay for it ala the NY Giants Eli Manning trade with San Diego.

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Believe me, if some team gives us a big trade offer, which they probably will if McFadden's fallen that far, I take that immediately. However, if for some reason we don't, I don't think we have many other options than just taking McFadden because he'll be far and away the BPA if there.

15. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

F Mcwhoever - go for Kevin Smith. GM - can you help me out here?

16. I've said it before and I'll say it again..

If the average price for a car is $50,000 w/ no national inflation...and the best car available to purchase is a Kia...do you bite the bullet and overpay? Or do you find another means of transportation till the price tag dips and/or better cars become available??

Everybody wanted us to go out and spend all this money on free agent linemen. Did you see who was available...and what type of money they were LOOKING for?!

As painful as it sounds...w/ the shape our roster and franchise is currently in...it was not wise to go out and spend major money on an average player.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Here's another thing they discussed that you can use to support your point about it being against the Dolphins. They talked about it on the post game yesterday: Since Week 8, the Dolphins have had the #1 defense in the league.

And we trashed it.

Clemens had a very good day, and so did the rushing attack. Our OLine actually got the job done in the second half for once. When Jones has some space, he's got ample speed, and he showed that yesterday. My one issue with him is that he's got no east-west movement, and no ability to bowl over tacklers. I can deal with that though. With Leon, we get a full change of pace that makes it harder to gameplan against.

Again, if we beef up the OLine, and get a true NT for our DLine, we have enough talent around both sides of the ball to compete.

IF[/i] we've already managed to fix the OLine via free agency, and there is obviously going to be a quality NT and CB later in the draft, only then would I say pull the trigger on McFadden.

BTW: I've watched McFadden. I'm no more impressed with him than I was Reggie Bush, which is not a whole lot. He's far from a "can't miss".

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

From all indications, only Dallas is rumored to be willing to trade more than the market price to move up and draft McFadden. That could change by draft day (especially with all the Jets fans under-valueing McFadden, thereby indirectly lowering his trade value.) So, if McFadden is available and we can not get a good offer for our pick, are some of you suggesting we use that top 5 pick on a non-top 5 talent simply because they play a position of need? Or...do we draft the far and away best player in the draft and hope to fill those other needs with our later picks and free agency?

In the past 2 years, we've used our top two picks in the draft on 2 O-Lineman and 2 defensive players...when the hell do we plan on using a top pick on an offensive weapon? This team needs star-power...the kind of offensive player that opposing coaches obsess over during game-planning that allow you to open up the offense. Players like Moss & Tomlinson are effective even when they don't touch the ball simply because defenses are focusing on them and leaving other players open.

We may not have a great O-Line right now, but who in here honestly believes this Jets team is ready to compete for a championship next year? We have at least 2 more offseasons to improve the O-Line and D-Line before we're ready to make a real run...and when that time comes, we'll have one of the best running backs in football in McFadden to help solidify our dominance (provided of course he's even available when we draft and we take him - which I know isn't guaranteed.) For all I know, the Jets might win a couple more games this year and make this whole McFadden discussion a moot point cuz he won't even be available for us.

#78 The Notorious J.E.T.S, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wait, what?

Jets fans "under-valuing" McFadden lowers his draft value?

Seriously? :eek:hmy:

Who is suggesting we don't take a top-5 talent if he's still available? We don't take a player we don't need, period. We trade down. There are always teams willing to move up. If McFadden is on the board when we pick, we will have offers. That's what we take, the best offer available.

No one is suggesting picking a tackle in the top 5. It's simply a matter of trading that pick away and getting picks to fill in the holes.

20. Section 227. Row 5

Or trading that pick for another 1st Round pick + a player, or 2 1st Round picks, or a 1st Round Pick and a future one in '09, or whatever...

But we're over 4 months away and besides, after we run the table and beat Cleveland, New England (he-he), Tennessee and Kansas City, McFadden won't be there anyway.

Of course, then we can start another thread on so-and-so for the 9th overall pick (sigh).