a steeler fan said it best, we did not dominate the steelers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by alleycat9, Nov 19, 2007.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

to think that we had 7 sacks, they had santonio holmes out, we had a 117 yards rusher, our defense looked great, our offense looked pretty decent, the steelers had 100 yards in penalties, we had a big return and we got 2 turnovers and yet we barely won a game that we surely could have lost.

we still gave up some yards, we had a 117 yard rusher but it took him 30 carries to do it and one of them was a 26 yarder, qb was less than 50 percent completion ratio, we were only 3 of 13 on third down and 0-2 on fourth.

but hey that game was actually fun to watch which is such a big thing this year because its been putrid most of the time and almost unwatchable!

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Didnt Santonio Holmes have a TD?

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cutback runners like Jones and our beloved Curtis Martin require that kind of large number of carries to be effective, we always used to beat teams to death with Curtis and we're not doing it with Jones, up until yesterday at least. Coming out of that game with a win at all was great to me.

4. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

Whats your point?

We did dominate the steelers, however we failed to capitalize on a bunch of red zone trips including 2 1st and goals. That right there is the only thing that keeping this game from being a total domination. Give the steelers credit for their red zone stops but some of that has to do with KC being young and LC being out. This was the first game in a long time that we played well on every side of the ball.

5. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Were you that Steelers fan?

6. alleycat9

oh i agree we played better than we have all year but to call it domination is preposterous. THATS MY POINT, when you really look at it we were lucky to win, just like we have been unlucky to lose so many times this year, the odd thing is i really felt we looked much better yesterday than we have all year. i was ready to come on here after the game if we lost and say how good i thought we played.

maybe its fandom but when you really look at it we barely won and surely didnt dominate.

7. billo83

billo83 Member

Who cares? The Jets have lost many, many games "pretty". I'll take winning ugly any day and every day over losing (and we didn't win ugly in this case). You could also say we would have won more convincingly if our receivers could catch a pass, LC didn't get hurt, and the play calling wasn't so terrible. It's all semantics.

8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

whats the point of this? We freakin won,enjoy it. Maybe we didn't "dominate" them,but we beat them and did it by doing some things no one else has in a long time vs them.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What the hell are you trying to say alleycat? Of course the Jets did not dominate with a 3 point win in overtime. They played great though. Is your point that the Steelers are a better team than the Jets? If so, then that is pretty stupid since that is already known.

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Not to mention, as far as 'ugly' wins go, this was far from the ugliest win in our history....

In fact, as far as Jets wins goes, this was pretty much as pretty as it gets....

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Other than the Steelers making 3 very costly penalties, we played 'em straight up; even money. I do actually think we came somewhat close to dominating them.

12. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

Time to break out the Shrek mascot again? :lol:

13. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No offense but that's an awful analysis in my opinion.

You're right on the money with what went our way. But they went our way because we OUTPLAYED the Steelers. 7 sacks was a tribute to our coverage and our pass rush. Sure, they had their #2 WR out. We had our #1 out. I don't get your point on that one. We had 117 yard rusher on 30 carries. You think about factoring in those last several carries that were just straight up the middle trying to push for a couple of yards to get the kick a little closer? He was over 100 much earlier than 30. The Steelers penalty yards didn't really factor into the game much with the exception of a big pass interference call that was, you guessed it, blatant pass interference. Yes, we had a big return. One. When they finally kicked to Leon. Which just shows how lethal our special teams can be. He gets the ball, we get a good return. And we got 2 turnovers, that's nothing crazy.

You have legitimate concern about Clemens completion % but he did a good job of managing the game and had a couple drops in there, including one key one that would have sealed the game before OT. Then you only make a much better case for how we won the game when we were only 3-13 on 3rd and 0-2 on 4th down. I think that's pretty impressive against one of the best teams in the league.

14. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

I mentioned in another thread in response to someone saying "We dominated them" that beating someone in over time is hardly "domination" That might be what this thread was started in regards to.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

OMG the Jets did not dominate the Steelers......................... anyone got a gun?

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yeah he did....this guy's an idiot.

17. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Winning by 3 in OT just screams domination. I bet those Steelers won't even bother showing up for the next game after that humiliation. Could you imagine if we had won by 6 whole points instead? Goodness gracious, it would've been the blowout of the decade.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Listen man our defense would of probally gave up 150 yards to a pop warner running back and we stopped the best rushing attack in football and that forced ben to throw the ball and we hit em right in there mouth PLAIN AND SIMPLE! Yea we werent phenomenal on Offense we have a young QB making just his 3rd NFL Start against the BEST DEFENSE IN FOOTBALL UP TOO DAT POINT and our Running Back ran for 117 yards first 100 yard rusher steelers allowed in something like 35 games or so we did dominate on the defensive side and on offense we did just enough to get the only thing that really matters... A W!

19. alleycat9

yeah it was in regards to that post. got me thinking about the whole situation. you guys are so ready to pounce that you didnt even get my point.

oh well. i tried.

yes those were positives in the first paragraph, most of them created by the jets some of them not. i was just pointing out some facts from the game, those things all happened and we still ONLY WON BY 3 POINTS IN OT!!!! i felt we outplayed them all day long. but hey im a jets fan so it should have appeared that way.

in REALITY which is what the second paragraph was about our big runner couldnt break 4 yards per carry, thats very low so dont make it like he was running for 208 yards, cause its not. our QB was LESS THAN 50% completions which is PRETTY POOR! (or am i crazy?) our team was 3 of 13 in 3rd downs and we were 0 for 2 in 4th downs.

do i think they were the better team, no we won we were the better team.

call me an idiot, i should have expected it, some people cant understand the other side of the situation. as you will see he did get injured and was out a pretty decent part of the second half. guess i could have worded it better but jeez your a real mean fella :)

mike thanks for the class in your post, yeah i definitely realize we created most of those things i was only trying to point out some of the real big positives that we had and the fact we still barely squeaked by.

ill take an ugly win all day, i really didnt feel it was ugly, i said in my first post i enjoyed the game, said it was fun to watch.

abyz yeah you are right and he should get alot of carries, but it wasnt like he rushed for 6 ypc to get 117, 3.9 ypc is not a great average. thats the point i was making. add in that one of them was 26 yards and he was only averaging 3.1 ypc on his other 29 carries so its not like he was killing them out there.

no flash im not that steelers fan, he chimed in a few posts down from yours. and he appears to be a good addition to the board unlike many posters from other teams.

and i wonder why i rarely start threads in this forum, man you get attacked by everybody. for simply pointing out a couple points from the game. guess ill just respond to the original post that made me think about it next time.

20. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Coles was out 80% of the game. Chalk that up to one of the endzone throws working out to a TD. Also 7 sacks? Love it. We had a 3rd time starter QB without his best reciever playing the best defense in the league. I just watched the game again last night. Our defense DOMINATED the Steelers. They were clueless and we held fast willie to 56 yeards!. Ben had no idea where to throw, when the throw or which direction the blitz was coming. This occured all game. It was like everything the Steelers game planned for was wrong. For once the shoe was one the other foot seemed lol.

Anyway thats my take. We did WAY more then was expected and played a GREAT game against a great team and won.

#20 fake_crs, Nov 20, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007