Clemens Praise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Nov 19, 2007.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think Clemens did what was needed to win the game. Keep in mind that a) He didn't have Coles most of the game and b) The Steelers pass defense is as good as gets right now in the NFL. I rarely saw any of our receivers get open. When the Jets were in 3 wr sets with Cotchery, Jmac and Brad Smith that's a horrible group of wr's. I don't know that Jmac or Smith make to many other teams at wr. So while I don't think Clemens played well, I do think there are two sides to the story.

2. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

why is that? because it's his first win? he already has 3 losses. that gives him a 25% winning percentage. not exactly supporting the statement, "Winning is what matters".

kellen didn't play well for most of yesterday, but play well when it mattered. The int he threw reminded me of vinny. his lower completion percentage really bothers me. none of the top qbs in the game have a low completion percentage.

we won yesterday because the defense play extremely well and leon had a good punt return.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i have told you folks since before he was given the starting job we ALL have to live t hru the 19 of 41 games with 1 td and 2 int's for a while......

games like yesterday should not be a suprise to anyone. some good, some bad. - and without coles , some really bad.

it will not be until around the second half of next year that we start to see the improvement that will elevate his game and give the jets W's.

what i tok away from the game yesterday is that the jets need to select another WR with a pretty hi pick next year. an injury to either coles or cotch and its lights out.

patience, patience

jil

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

another point....i have a sneaky feeling even with the current lack of evidence that clemens is going to be one of those QB's that can look occasionally terrible but come up big in the tight spots when it is needed.....either with the arm or the legs......

the ? will be can you win with that??

you bet because his offense will not be a one dimensional offense - the playbook is fully opened.

jil

5. maglex

maglex Member

For the first time this year, I felt that there were some positives to build on. Saw some new looks from the D that impressed me and the O had its flashes.

Won't be able to build on it this short week, not looking forward to Thursday's game.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

it looked like he was trying to get Mangold to snap the ball. He was yelling something at him as the clock wound down. Listen, his receivers weren't open all day. His numbers don't look great because he doesn't care about numbers. He got rid of the ball rather than take sacks. No Neil O'Donnell stats presevation here.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Clemens would be undefeated as a starter, if not for the dropsies....

The kid has shown he's a player.

9. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

While I don?t think he played particularly great ? he was made to look worse by (1) receivers refusing to make a play for him; (2) bad play calling / receivers not making plays continuously putting him in long yardage situations.

Pile that on a rookie, against a really good defense, and what in the phuck do you want out of the guy? We don?t win that game with Chad?standing in the (lack of) pocket like a statue and throwing a pick in the two minute drill.

10. blevins

blevins New Member

Clemens did not WIn this game (he in fact was very inaccurate) and he did not LOSE the previous game. Our defense was way more responsible for this win and for the previous loss than our QB play. I'm estatic in getting a win but lets not get carried away with QB accolades. I hope Kellen can become the franchise QB that I was hoping Chad (see avitar) could be - But I've seen nothing yet to suggest that is true. He has a strong arm and seems poised but is still learning the system and lacks accuracy. Those missing items will hopefully improve with more playing time and better play from those around him. Great team win yesterday despite a subpar QB performance.

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Exactly... I think it was you and I who discussed this in the game thread...

Look, this was his third start. He has now faced 3 top-5 secondaries in 3 starts, with Baltimore, Washington and Pittsburgh.... He's thrown one INT in the last 9 quarters as a starting QB.

I'll take it... He's taking his lumps now, and he's keeping the team competitive. He still has a long way to go to become a good QB in this league, but he's progressing nicely so far....

In my opinion, you can't teach confidence, pocket presence, poise or leadership.... He has all of those.... Passing accuracy can always be improved....

12. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Best defense in the league IMO. We got the W with Kellen behind center. Great defensive scheme from Mangini, and great execution from the defense to win this game for us. But Kellen helped not by playing extremely well, but playing good when it counted and by managing the game for the most part. One could say that Chad could have done the same thing, but one could also say that Chad could not have made that throw to Coles in the first drive of the game. All in all I love the win.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Not many people thought Clemens was the second coming at best it's hope. What most people did get is Chad is hurt and can't throw the ball anymore and is an outright liability on the football field.

Clemens had one nice drive yesterday and was far from great. We did put up more points than we would have with Chad who typically is not putting anything on the board with the kind of D the Steelers have. With the Steelers D playing in even less space with Chad it would have been very likely we don't score at all and the Steelers have a couple of picks that may go the other way? It's no coincidence that we had some rushing yards yesterday with Clemens playing.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Which of course, is the case for Thursday....

IF Cotchery is doubled, Smith,Jmac, and Baker have to come up big.

Baker needs at least 7-10 catches Thursday.... Force Roy Williams into coverage... keep Dallas D on the field...

15. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

His throws are inaccurate? Not sure I agree. Maybe you're basing it on less than 50% completion rate. I remember quite a few drops (B. Smith at the end of regulation) and some great touch passes (Baker on the final drive). I think the WRs are not used to a ball with velocity. That INT looked like it was Cotchery as much as Clemens.

Completion % has its place, but it also condemns you to dink & dunk, slowball. And you can't play that way all the time, a la Chad, or you get your routes jumped.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What Clemens showed yesterday was poise and toughness.He did not play well yesterday but was able to overcome that to lead the team to the tying FG. He is definetly showing enough signs to give the Jets fan hope that we are not so far off from contending again.

17. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

His throws right now are inaccurate. Everybody can see that. It will come in time and a little confidence in the O-line. I thought Kellen played fine. But if I was like a Chad hater, then I would point out that we only scored 3 points in the second half, Kellen only threw for a little over 100 yards except for the Coles play, and he got Coles hurt because he underthrew the ball. I am not, and I don't believe any of the previous sentence is hung on Kellens shoulders, just like if Chad was in there they wouldn't be on his shoulders. I think the double standard by the people calling for Chad's head is what ruffles a lot of peoples feathers.

The bigger problem is the offensive scheme, not the QB. The DB's were still jumping routes and there is not good enough spacing in the routes and not enough clear out routes. The line is average at best, run some rollouts with Kellen and give him some time to throw down field.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The thing that Pleases me the most is that Clemens has given the team a chance to win in every start he has had this season. And he has started against three of the top four defenses we have faced to date with no help at all from his Wr's in the games he has started. I feel he has that thing that will give us a chance to win even when he has a bad game or the defense has one. Hopefully we can get him a new receiver to work with next year.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

And lets not forget he was playing a very good D. That last drive is something Pennington simply cannot do.

20. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

its his 3rd start. I would cut him a little slack. As for the 14/31 the guy was under pressure the entire game. Many of the throws were to get rid of the ball. Also there were a few drops including the TD pass that was dropped. All in all I was very impressed with his play