Clemens Praise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Nov 19, 2007.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He played well today, INT wasn't his fault. Good pocket presence, good escapability, good arm again, threw the ball away when needed rather than taking a sack, ran upfield when had to.

Some rookie mistakes like the Delay of Game but thats all.

What i do notice is that he leads the team down the field in clutch situations, and then his coaching staff and supporting cast find a way to not score a TD.

2. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

That will change as they get used to and comfortable with calling plays in the redzone that fit Kellen better. Our red zone playcalling was still more of the "Chad" playbook but that will change.

3. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

Ndmick im sorry but clemens did not play well today lets look over his stats. 14/31 162 yards 1 TD 1 INT and 5.2 AVG. And yes the INT was his fault he made a horrible decision to throw the ball into coverage. There were 3 steelers in that direction. As for the delay of game from my angle it looked like it wasnt his fault he seemed to be calling for the ball but with the crowd noise mangold didnt hear him call for the snap. I could be wrong thats what it looked like from my seats. I do like the fact that he does lead the team down the field better then pennington has lately but its way too early to tell if he can be our future.

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i dunno...the first play did it for me..

5. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

He was great when it mattered (last drive of regulation) but was pretty mediocre for most of the day and made some questionable passes. He also held onto the ball for far too long on some plays.

I mean, he completed <50% of his passes so I wouldn't heap praise on him. However, I was very happy with the last drive but he needs to develop consistency, hopefully that will come with time.

6. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

i hope coles is healthy for the dallas game...we need a #1 across from cotchery
    smith was not getting it done at all today
    i dont see mccareins here past this season, but i think he can do more for the team as the #3 wr right now than brad smith (but not by much)
    i did like the way clemens played though...i think he was limited by a good steelers secondary
    hopefully roy williams is doing what he does best and not covering anyone on thursday
    i thought clemens was great at handling the blitz today
    dallas is a hot and cold defensive team...but thanksgiving normally means they should be hot

7. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

cotchery wasn't looking for the ball on the interception...it wasnt a great pass, but cotchery actually ran past without looking where the ball ended up
    simms talked about it during the game....they ran the replay by a few times
    looked like a communication breakdown on the route
    some of the best plays clemens made today were with his feet...or standing in to make a throw
    my favorite pass though...was the one where he pointed to the wr he was throwing at....it was nearly picked, but i couldnt help but wonder if his pointing made it completely obvious where the pass was going

8. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

How bout that first drive in Cincinnati, Chad deep to Coles. You cant judge a QB having a good game on one play or one series. Clemens played decent enough for the jets to pull off the victory. The defense played much better giving them the chance to stay in it.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

We get it.. You like Pennington better. I would rather you say that then keep trying to make these minor problems with Kellen seem like HUGE issues.

It is not Penny and the Jets anymore, it is Kellen and the Jets. You can accept it, or you can keep making excuses for Pennington. Fact is , Clemens is our future.

10. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

Your right i do like pennington better. But that wasnt my point. Point of the thread was someone felt he should be praised after todays game i have a different opinion. Kellen is a work in progress, and played average today. Lets not forget Jones had a huge game today.

11. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Kellen is awesome, what more can you say! I can't wait for Thursday, I am once again fired up to watch the Jets.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I wanted Chad out as much as anybody, but that said Kellen's poor preformance almost cost us this game.

His throws are innacurate. That is simply, IMO, part of being a yougn QB under pressure.

On the other hand, he (or the Coaches) took chances down feild that have not happened in the previous weeks.

Kellens skill? could be. He has the arm to make all the throws. his poise in the pocket is great, but he misses on a lot of attempts.

I think the tools are there to be an NFL QB.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Poor performance? I didn't see anything wrong with how he played today. We scored the first drive of the game, and the last drive of regulation -- thanks to great drives led by Clemens.

Sure he threw a pick and missed a couple of targets, but that's to be expected from a young starter. All that matters is he led us down the field when it mattered the most and we ended up winning because of it.

We won...and he was a big factor in the victory.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How was the INT not his fault? Clemens was awful today for 38 mins(including the undwethrow to Coles) BUT what I absolutely loved was that he didn't let his poor play affect him on the tying drive. He put his awful play behind him and led us down for the tying score(though he's got to learn when to spike the ball, we never should have wasted a down w/ 37 secs left).

We have to expect grwing pains, not every game will go smoothly for him but even as bad as he was ll day he managed to make some plays when it mattered. That's a big step and I look forward to watching him continue o grow.

We scored after a trick play fooled Pitt on the 1st play and that play we should have scored but he underthrew a wide open coles so let's not heap too much praise on KC for that one. From that drive until the final drive of regulation he was atrocious but he got it done when we needed to tie the game and that's where he deserves the praise.

15. Todd14

Todd14 Member

Harpua - I actually agree with you this time.

The reason why us "Chad" guys are keeping the "KC" guys honest - for a lack of a better word, is that we kept hearing that Chad was the reason for every problem (except maybe world hunger) and that KC was the second coming...and he gave us a better chance of winning now. I didn't get it then and I still don't get it. But hey he is our QB now and I hope he is awesome!

Great victory yesterday. D looked awesome!

Let's see how we do against the C-boys on Turkey Day.

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sorry but his throws were innacurate all day with alot of high balls , 1/3 of his passing yards came on one play-- minus that he was 13 for 30 for 106 yards. He had one postive running play, but I will say it was huge in timing.

We won because the D got a Pass Rush and TJ was running -- Clemens is still learning and will get better -- But he has still not shown in a regular season game if he is the answer at QB.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, I agree. He really wasn't all that great at all. Take away that first play and he barely throws for 100 yards.

18. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

the only stat worth mentioning is in the WIN column. sorry! err Kellen has a "W" after yesterdays performance. Who cares about QB ratings when the team loses? Winning is what matters!

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You only care because the defense won't always be able to step it up like they did yesterday. Although, I still say going all out for defensive players in the off season will help the offense more then anything else we can do.

20. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

I couldn't agree more...Kellen went out vs. one of the best D's in the NFL and got the Jets the W. I'll take that over QB rating anyday.