Steelers/Jets 2007

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SteelCurtain96, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just as an FYI the pre-Kotite front office drafted Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn and Marvin Jones, while under-committing to the offensive line. Kotite and company drafted Hugh Douglas, Marcus Coleman and Ray Mickens, while under-committing to the offensive line.

You can spend a lot of value on the defensive side of the ball but if you don't spend on offensive linemen and on the defensive line you're going to collapse fairly quickly.

The Jets drafted D'Brick and Mangold because they had no choice. They literally had no line without them. Now they seem to have gone back to the pre-Kotite fixation on DB's, LB's and skill position players. That's why we are collapsed right now.

2. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Are they fumbling it out of the end zone? No way we ttackle anyone back there.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I respect some people's optimism, but there's no way we beat the Steelers.

Coming off a bye while they are coming off a tough divisional matchup certainly helps us, but we match up horribly against this team. Pittsburgh is very physical on both sides of the ball and are exactly what I wish our Jets played like. But the fact of the matter is we are still the finesse team that Bradway created, hopefully we will change this in the future.

Even last year, or years past when we were playoff teams this would have been a horrible matchup for our Jets squad. And this year we suck.

We could get a few on them early because of our rejuvenation from the bye but over the long haul I dont see us pulling this out.

Steelers 27
    Jets 14

This is a good lesson game though. It will be great for Kellen to get experience against another great defense, and Mangini can show the team what a real 3/4 defense looks like.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

3/4 Wide from the Shotgun, is how You keep clemens upright.

Dropping him back means losing 2 seconds while they come up field.

Thats fairly straightforward math.

6/10 of a second to snap it back

or two seconds to snap it and stride backward....

I'd rather have my guy back from the LoS looking down the field.

I get a real kick out of this...Two weeks ago, all the consternation was, Clemens going up against the dangerous Washington secondary....

He completed 26/42 (54%), for 5.3 YPA, and 9.8 YPC.

Without Coles in the game. If Coles is in that game, Cotchery is not double covered, Coles is.....and then McCraphands/Smith are not your #2 options, they're at the 3.

If Coles plays, Clemens probably goes closer to 300 Yards, and an extra TD.

Is Pittsburgh a GOOD team yes....No denying it.

Are they the second coming of the Steel Curtain...no.

Is the Jets offense better now, than it was 2 weeks ago....Substantially.

At the end of the game in Week 2, Clemens Hit passes of 44,23,24, and 50 yards. Also drawing a PI call for 26 yards, and a Def Hold on a WR for a first down.

And as well know, he had a perfect 31 yard TD strike dropped.....

Clemens looked good, throwing the ball to Cotchery, Baker and No one against a pretty good secondary in the last game.....

Coles being on the field changes that equation Dramatically. I am not a big Coles guy in terms of the guys that dwell on that phantom 4.19 at FSU 10 years ago, but on our offense he is the guy teams have to double or they get eaten alive.....In Minnesota he had 12 for 144, against predominantly single coverage, and that was with Captian Checkdown behind center.

At the end of the day, (and this was the point I tried to make earlier...)

No one, here, nor in Pitt can have a reliable clue as to what the passing attack will look like come Sunday....

My thinking is, if they attack vertically, they can be successful, because if you go back through the steelers play by play, it's been the times that thye got spread out, or fallen behind that they have been unsuccessful.

#84 Hobbes3259, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  5. Hobbes3259

Thats kind of unfair....They brought in Bender this year (I know hes a low round pick)....They Like Brandon Moore for some ungodly reason, which makes them one more player away from completing the OLine.

They brought in Coleman on the DL. They seem to like Drob, which puts them a True NT away from having the Dline the way they want it.....(and actually if you get a NT, you would ahve the luxury of seeing if Ellis could gain something by having a NT next to him...But if you play hybrid, you would also have Ellis,Drob,NT,Coleman....

Thats 2 things for this years offfseason.... They resigned Thomas to play one OLB spot, so you need an impact player on the Other side....

Thats a third player...(and IMO, the toughest piece left to add....)

6. Br4d

With the people starting at RG and RT for the Jets last season the front office should have been ready to commit a first day pick to replacing one of them. With Kendall turning into a problem child they should have been willing to make a better effort at filling the slot than putting in a proven non-starter in Adrien Clarke.

Drafting people in the 6th round to fill slots is kind of like buying lottery tickets. Yeah some of them work out but relying on that puts you one step away from disaster.

The Jets are just a fundamentally unsound football team right now and that is not due to injury it's due to how they have misused the resources available to them to make the team better. Free agency is a joke on this team, costing the Jets good players on a consistent basis and rarely providing quality replacements. The Jets treat the draft like a game of Blackjack, where the house holds the odds but the Jets double-down anyway. Trades are at best a wash, with even the good deals like the ones for Jones being inappropriate for the team and it's circumstances.

The Jets right now don't even have a good Madden general management scheme in place. They'd be losing as badly in the game as they are in real-life.

7. CharlotteJet

CharlotteJet New Member

Your uni's should be clean becasue we can't stop anyone.

Steelers 31
    Jets 10

8. Hobbes3259

Kendall, I think sandbagged them.

And I WISH ANYONE COULD TELL ME WHAT THEY SEE IN BRANDON MOORE

Clement, It looks like they think he is servicable, for one more year...

In total I agree, I think guard play is one of the most underappreciated items of offense. Having two guys that can pull and get out in space, and then know what to hit, is as valuable as any skill position not called QB....

9. Br4d

What is really sad this season is that Mangold is taking a step back (to just above average player) and it's largely, in my opinion, because he's got no talent on either side of him.

One good guard might have made a world of difference in the Jet's offense this season. They'd be 3-6, or maybe with some luck even 4-5, right now and looking at 6-10 instead of at the bottom of the heap.

10. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

I expect this to play out the way every other Jet game has this season... we hang tough with them in the 1st half with a slight lead going into halftime only to have the defense completely blow it in the 4th quarter. If you have Willie Parker on your fantasy team, you can bench the rest of the roster and still win this week.

11. Hobbes3259

Thats where you and I see eye to eye.

There were enough second tier players over the last two years, to plug in better guards than Moore, or Kendall's backup, and....Why the reluctance to bring in a NT via FA?

12. Scottso

Scottso Member

Dude you're being way too kind here!

13. Scottso

Scottso Member

We've made backup running backs look like LT

14. mulpwr

mulpwr New Member

The Steelers do have weaknesses. The offensive line struggles pass protecting Ben and if he wasn't so good at breaking tackles,the Steelers would have given up at least 10 more sacks.If the offensive line pass protects well or your QB has a quick release,then you can beat the Steelers secondary. CB Townsend and Taylor are not ball hawks,Ike has dropped so many picks,so even though they're great on paper,a healthy Colts team and a Patriots team will have quite a bit of success throwing the ball. It all depends on how the pass protection is and if the blitzes are picked up. Weak offensive lines get a heavy dose of the zone blitz and their QBs will get hit over and over. In the secondary, Troy Polamalu has great closing speed and Anthony Smith can lay the wood.Spreading the Steelers out is a good idea because trying to run on them is next to impossible. The Steelers LBS Farrior,Foote,Harrison and Haggans are better suited playing the run and rushing the passer.It all about lining up mismatches.

The AZ game tide turned when Troy Polamalu left the game in the third quarter with a abdominal strain and having no Casey Hampton for that game hurt.On a overhiked snap i still think James Harrison scored a TD.Ben throws a pick in the end zone though after that fumble.The turning point was when punt returner Steve Breaston had a TD.Willie Parker was stuffed so stopping the running game is a big key. Having 11 penalties didn't help the Steelers either. I expect Leon Washington to give the Jets good field position most of the day.

Facing the Broncos,early on Ben threw a pick after a tipped pass.Jay Cutler has a 31 yard run;hint hint mobile and running QBs give the Steelers problems;and after a late hit by Polamalu after the run,the Edge bangs it in for a TD. Ben fumbles after a sack and Denver runs it in for a TD.The Broncos at the half are ahead 21 to 7.The Broncos go up 28 to 14 at the end of the third quarter. Ben leads the Steelers back to tie it with a little over a minute.Cutler leads them down the field and Jason Elam wins it with a 49 yarder.

Against the Bengals,the Steelers lead at halftime 21 to 6. Ben throws a pick near the goal line in the third quarter and with the Bengals driving to score,James Harrison strips Kenny Watson after a shuffle pass and the Steelers recover to run out the clock.

Against the Browns,the Steelers cut off the deep routes,didn't blitz much in the second half and DA got flustered because he couldn't find anyone open.

The Steelers rarely get int,James Harrison is great at stripping the ball,Polamalu is all over the field.Casey Hampton,Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith normally control the LOS.Against strong pass rushes and physical defensive lines,the Steelers OL struggles.Stop Willie Parker,wrap up Ben,proptect your QB,don't turn it over and stay patient with the underneath routes and most teams should have a chance to win.

15. Spike

Spike New Member

So how is the Meadowlands field holding up?

Another cow pasture?

Willie prefers a fast track.

16. Scottso

Scottso Member

It's an artificial turf, haven't really ever seen one of them break down. I never knew cows ate plastic grass.

17. CPenn10

CPenn10 New Member

Steelers 30
    Jets 10

18. Spike

Spike New Member

Aha - I didn't know. Well, that's good.

It's not like I follow the Jets - I couldn't name a single player on your D now that Vilma is out.

My take - get a win in this one with no injuries and call it a day.
    It's not like we hate you or anything.

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Your gay. Plain and simple.

20. Todd14

Todd14 Member

Harpua - You do not know anything about me. I am not the last hold out for Chad. As a matter of fact I am glad that KC is in there and I agree that we need to give the kid the work and see what he's got. Chad will land with a team next year that has the correct team around him...I am not worried about Chad.

I am someone who does not make posts based on emotion. The fact is the Jets have alot of problems this year. The fact is that most of you blamed Chad for most if not all of the problems. The fact is Chad is on the bench and NOW most of you think the Jets have alot of problems. Chad was blamed for the close losses but we don't blame KC for the close losses to the Ravens or the Redskins. I am just trying to understand the logic here.