Steelers/Jets 2007

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SteelCurtain96, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

The Jets wouldn't beat the Steelers even if they had Hurricane Ditka on their side

2. BCSUPERFAN

BCSUPERFAN New Member

21-17 Jets

Maybe Mangini will realize we can keep our horrible defense off the field by giving the ball to TJ 25 times

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Jets D shows up for the first, and probably only time all year...Clemens plays solid, and Jones gets 100 yards and 2 TDs....Jets 24 Steelers 13

Just because I said so :smile:

4. Coltsfan18

Coltsfan18 New Member

I actually think the Jets will win this one. Close game but the Jets will pull it off. Keep Roethlisberger in the pocket and force him to make mistakes, which he does under pressure.

Jets 24
    Steelers 17

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Thats about right.
    The problem for the Steelers, is this is really the first game for the Coaching staff to give Clemens a fuill opportunity to see what he can do, and to that end, the Steelers have no real film to study to glean tendencies, and weaknesses.....

What this game will give you an indication of from the Jets standpoint, is what the state of the co-ordinating staffs really is..

6. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Have you seen our defense play?

7. Hobbes3259

Plenty.

Pittsburgh is 7-2. Losing at Denver, and at Arizona, and squeaking it out against Cincy.

This is a GOOD team, not a great team.And less so on the road....

The Jets were a BAD team, with Pennington playing, we have yet to see, what kind of team they can be with Clemens playing.

Coles is back. In the last game the Skins were able to lock down Cotchery, because we have no other pass catching option.

Our Defense might not spend an eternity on the field, late in the game this week, that's the X Factor.

8. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

You are high...blame Pennington all you want...he helped. But giving up 300 yrds on the ground is about as bad as you can get on defense. And facing one of the better defenses in the league against one of the worst offense lines in the league means it's going to be a field day. There's going to be very little running the football and alot clemens running for his life. The only thing that may help the Jets is that the league is going to eject players for helmet-to-helmet contact.

9. Hobbes3259

This is the week that the OC's weakness helps him.

You shouldn't even THINK about handing the ball off to Jones, except on a lark.

This game should be played from the shotgun, in 3/4 wide sets, with Jones primarily blocking and catching passes in the flat, after the downfield patterns develop...

Pittsburgh likes to play up close, eliminate the running game, and make teams try to throw.

So throw it. Throw it early, throw it often....Throw it DEEP.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Another L coming for the Green and White. We may lead at times during the game, but our defense will melt as it always does this year. Plus, the Steelers will have at least 200 total yards on the ground because, yes, we are that bad.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a primary example of delusional thinking.

Pittsburgh allows the fewest yards passing per game in the NFL and the lowest opposing completion percentage. They have 25 sacks, which ties them for 4th in the league. They are the only team in the NFL that has not allowed a 40+ yard pass play.

If the Jets are smart they run the ball 40+ times and minimize the negative impact on Clemens, given that they'll be lucky to be within 3 TD's at the end regardless of what they do. The more they pass on Sunday the bigger the margin of victory for the Steelers.

Look at the bones man, look at the bones!

12. Hobbes3259

200 yards would be a victory. They already average 150....

If we can get up early, and stay up through the first half, you can take them out of what they like to do.....

But lets not make this out to be the second coming of the Steel Curtain.

This is a good team, that's feasted on less than good opponents.

13. Br4d

And what kind of opponent are the Jets right now?

Less than less than good in my opinion. There are napkins and bibs being placed on all the Steelers during practice this week.

14. Hobbes3259

This is a primary example of allowing the stats, rather than the results to dictate your thinking....

The bones are, they allow the fewest running adnpassing yards, but they allow NO running yardage when it matters, and the games they have had trouble with are teams that can move the ball in the air. Go back and look AT the two games the did lose.

The Steelers defense DEPENDS on teams playing conventional offense.

The Shotgun gives them fits, because it spreads their defense out, and inhibits their ability to attack up the field.

Both Denver (Cutler) and Arizona (Leinart,Warner) used the ability to spread them out to take them out of what they like to do.

And the Brownies had a pretty good bit of success in the passing game by using the TE.....

15. Br4d

They lost at Arizona not because of anything they did on defense, they lost because they allowed Big Ben to get sacked 4 times and he threw 2 INT's. Guess what? Not gonna happen against the Jets.

They lost at Denver because they allowed Big Ben to get sacked 4 times and he threw 2 INT's. Guess what?

The Browns have a miracle QB playing at the moment and judging anything that happens in those games is very hard to do. Not to mention the Browns-Steelers is just like any other divisional rivalry: it's hard to tell what's going to happen in any given game and it always presents a potential trap to the team on top. BTW, I'm not suggesting Anderson is anything more than a one year wonder because we just don't know but he's caught lightning in a bottle for the moment.

16. Hobbes3259

I would say the jury is out, on that question.

To wit...If Clemens had remained in since Baltimore, would we have lost all those games, to mostly the same opponents as Pitt has played?

17. Hobbes3259

The question, you aren't coming around to, is....WHY was Ben in a position to get sacked, that many times when they run it for 150 a game....

The Jets are good enough on Special Teams, and Should be good enough in the passing game to take Pittsburgh out of what they like to do.

And that was my earlier point....You should see, this week how good the coordinators are on both sides of the ball.

The Game plan this week, should be very smimilar to the Minnesota game last year.

18. Br4d

I usually don't go back and forth on this kind of issue because I do respect most other people's opinions (including yours) however I have to ask what exactly about this team makes you think they don't fully deserve to be 1-8 and looking like a mortal lock to be 1-10 at this point?

I see the worst Jets team of the decade so far. And they haven't had any injuries to speak of to pin it on. The coaching has been terrible. The play on the field has been bad. The front office is apparently as clueless as any since the pre-Kotite years that ushered in the worst collapse in Jet's history.

I looked for excuses out to about 1-5 and then I just surrendered to the fact that this is as bad a team as I have had to watch in my 36 years of being a Jet's fan. That's just what it is.

19. Hobbes3259

Because after 0-2, The Coaching staff mad a conscious decision to stick with a guy that was never going to get it done for long enough to remove all doubt.

When a staff decides that they want to bring in their QB, it is usually a rough
    time, unless the incumbent plays his way out of the job.

Given Penningtons performance over the final six weeks of his Jets career, it seems fairly evident that the ankle never got back to 100%, his drop off in performance as the clock wore on, belies that point.

Unlike Curtis Martin, who played through the double High ankle sprain, Chad does not have the physical tools to surpass an injury like that.

I totally agree the Coaching has been worse than terrible.

We disagree on the Front office. I think they have a done a better than average job, including sacrificing a couple of mid rounders last year, to wind up with Jones, Harris, Revis.....As I said, if Stuckey comes back next year, and becomes the third guy, playing out of the slot, and then Bender becomes a good starter, thats a Grand Slam draft.

But this is a Good team on offense, If....they can be coached and play up to their capabilities.

Baker needs to catch 5 balls a game. And Cotchery and Coles need to put up
    150 yards a game combined....

Without Captain Checkdown in the lineup, Hopefully the need to have the entire offensive unit bunched within 10 yard of the ball will evaporate..

They have had 2 weeks to figure it out....thats the point I made earlier, about the coordinators.

This team is not nearly as deficient in terms of personnel, as it has looked.

Is the talent lacking ?????...definitely...is it the worst starting talent in the league...not really, objectively I would say talent wise this team belongs just below the middle of the pack...with the defense bringing it down.

20. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Yeah great idea. Throw against a team with a decent secondary. going 4 wide against the steelers will pretty much guarantee we see pennington for the remainder of the year.