Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I like Groves a lot too, but I'm thinking he might slide to our EXTREMELY HIGH 2nd round selection. We're going to be able to bring in a first round talent with our 2nd rounder.

2. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Trade down and get some pics for the 80 other holes. If you draft a RB top 5you have a ton of money invested in that position and then you can't sign the FA's you need.

3. red75bronco

Look at you jump to conclusions. Have you ever heard of a Ford Bronco. Did I say the line in Denver is good this year, no, it isn't even close.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

He he's right. Since we don't play the Bronco's what is your ugly ass even doing on this site?

Man, some people have balls...

Plus, you're not even red, so why are you misrepresenting?

5. red75bronco

I assume you are being sarcastic. It is not my fault if you cannot understand a username that has nothing to do with football. Other than the username, please point out what has brought you to the conclusion I am a Bronco fan. I have been a Jets fan since the mid 80's and gladly pay my $200 plus a year so I can see them on NFL ticket. Besides, don't like my opinions, so you try to attack?

6. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You think they are going to spend money in Free agency until they rebuild through the draft over the next two years? No quality Free agents are coming to a 2-14 team with the pressure of playing in Ny.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is the most logical post and what I have been saying all along in thisa forum. LOOK closely at the PATS and see where the real strengths are. Does anyone here really believe Tom Brady is where he is today if he were trying to make throws lying on his back or scrambling for his life? Does anyone really believe if you swap the Jets front seven with the PATS, they would still be undefeated?

Jets have Jones and Washington, deal with it and move on. Allow Mangini to make te improvements on D by trading down and getting some quality/quantity picks.

8. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

There are plenty of good defensive players and linemen later in the draft.

Nobody is saying the Jets don't need help on both lines, but that can be addressed later in the draft, you're not going to rebuild your defense and OLine in one year with the first round of the draft.

And Jones is already 29, you can't expect newly drafted players to be effective right away, it may take a season or two, and by then Jones will be 31 and we'll need to draft a running back then, but the chances of a player with McFadden's talent being available then are slim to none.

9. Yes, this is true..but acouple things to consider...

1. How many first round picks are on that Pats O-line? 1. Logan Mankins..who was taken 31st overall.

2. There were many times over the past 4-5 years or so..when the Pats won in SPITE of their OL. This quality Ol was developed over time.

You cant make an elite O-line over night..and frankly..building one does not require loading up on first round big uglies.

10. red75bronco

Why draft a running back and sign to a big contract and tie up all that money in one position? It doesn't make sense to me. I am trying to think of the last team that was carried to the superbowl by the running back. Terrel Davis was very good especially in the playoffs, Emmitt was good, but had the best line in football other than that, I think Timmy Smith still owns the rushing title in the super bowl. I think there are too many holes to draft a RB. Trade down and get impact players on D. See the Parcells draft with Ellis and Abraham.

11. red75bronco

I think the discussion should not necessarily be RB or O-line, what about D?

12. rillo

rillo New Member

To me thats the BIGGEST need...3-4 personnel. We already drafted two 1st rd's on the Oline with this regime....Defense has to be the focus in the early rounds IMO. And who knows what we'll get for Vilma *if* we trade him.

13. The problem is, there arent alot of 3-4 prospects in the first round of the upcoming draft.

14. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Why are people acting like we can't trade Thomas Jones?

15. ANJI

ANJI New Member

The same reason people act like it's picking McFadden or fixing the D & O Lines.

16. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

the discussion isn't b/w o-line and rb. there is no chance the jets go o-line in the first round this year. The O-Line needs to mesh together. It is between rb and D. the problem is whether people think there is 3-4 personell. What i dont get is why some people dont think cris long can play in the 3-4 considering he is dominant in college right now while playing the 3-4...

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The problem with the Jets is this infatuation with the 3-4 when they don't have 3-4 personnel. If there is not a top line 3-4 defensive player at the top of the draft, it is time for the head coach to realize this and go to a 4-3 and end the insanity.

18. plasticsloth

yea i agree with that. But then do we have a speed rusher to play the 4-3? and if we switch tot he 4-3, what happens to harris who was drafted to play next to vilma? and we dont have another DT to really play next to DRob who struggled int he 4-3 just as much as he did in the 3-4.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I dont remember DRob struggling in the 4-3?

20. plasticsloth

well he did. He didn't put any pressure or really stop the run and was not worth the #4 pick whatsoever. Many ppl were calling him a bust when he was in the 4-3. The reason our 4-3 was ever successful was because of JAbe (when he was healthy), ellis and vilma. Those guys were studs