Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So this means you don't think this team needs a serious upgrade in talent?

2. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

I just watched his film and he is an upright runner. While this style works for Peterson (so far) I am never a big fan of runners who run upright. As rookies they usually hit the wall after the first year.

Screw Mcfadden. Build the lines up from within the draft so we can stop being the laughing stock of the NFL.

3. Attackett

So you think we should take a RT or Guard with a top 3 pick?

4. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

No I think we should take the best available pass rushing linebacker. Then we should take some olinemen who can stop the run as well as pass protect for our young QB talent. Then we should look at maybe a WR option for our 3rd WR in the mid rounds. Then some more depth at oline and dline.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I think our OLinemen stop the run well enough already :rofl2:

6. Attackett

Where are you going to find a pass rushing LB worth a top 3 pick? Lt isn't in this upcoming draft..LDT is though.

7. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We stink and we need to take the best player available. Mcfadden it is. Are we so used to being mediocre as Jet fans that we are so scared to dare to be great by taking Mcfadden. Why can't we take the risk to get a superstar on our team that can change a game. Have we ever had one? We can get a NT, DE, LB, Cb, 3rd string receiver and role players in Round 2 and beyond. Can someone please explain to me why not taking McFadden with the first pick is such a bad thing when we have 7 other picks? A Lb or Nt in rd two would be a failure?

8. rillo

rillo New Member

I do...but not drafting a running back. We need Oline and Dline that is a must. We just signed Jones last year...and Washington is a great 'change of pace' back....Why draft a RB that high and have all this money in one position...It doesn't make sense @ all IMO. I think we should go with a pass rusher DE or a space eater NT. McFadden is out of the question in my book.

9. Attackett

Very simple and it makes complete sense, he is a gamebreaking talent which is something this team is sorely lacking. When you pick in the top 3 you take the BPA especially considering pretty much every position on the team can stand to be upgraded. Thomas Jones is not good enough to pass on a talent like McFadden and he is getting up there in age. You can't fix the OL with a first round pick and noone available at that spot is a sure thing on the DLine to work in our 3-4 D. If McFadden is available at our pick, which unless it is the first pick I am not sure he will be, then it is a no brainer IMO.

10. That's the biggest mistake people are making.

They think taking linemen in the first round is the solution to all our problems. Well for one..building a quality line takes time and energy beyond 1st round picks, and secondly many quality linemen are available in the later rounds..especially for a 3-4 scheme.

Ouur team is not good enough to pass on the BPA...especially a rare breed like McFadden.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

If we pass on Mcfadden I guarantee that the Pats will be waiting to have a two headed monster of Mcfadden and Maroney! GUARANTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT!

12. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

the jets CANNOt draft mcfadden with the glaring needs on the defense. Plus, what happened to all this shit about how our o-line sucks so no running back would help. Everyone is on the bandwagon for this guy because of what adrien peterson is doing. Adrien peterson also has a great run blocking o-line there with hutch and mckinnie. the jets o-line is nothing like the vikings and our defense would still be atrocious with only a marginable increase in offensive production.

EDIT: the jets should only take mcfadden if the jets sign haynesworth and faneca. Then the jets should get him for the talent and considering losing jones or washington. But i still think it wouldn't happen.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

Please explain why we can't take linemen with the other picks we have? Why do we have to take a linemen in the first round? What about the second? Third? Fourth? Fifth? Sixth?????????

14. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Also Peterson will eventually hit the rookie wall, all backs do. I am not saying he is not going to be great back, but soon someone will pop him good the way he runs upright. And I would not go getting all riled up about Mcfadden all year because you a destine for disappointment. Mangini will build from the trenches out. Thats what he has been taught.

#74 fake_crs, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  15. rillo

rillo New Member

No it isn't a 'cure all' however we already have 2 very good running backs and no run/pass blocking. Drafting Mcfadden with no talent on the Oline doesn't make any sense...unless we make a splash in free agency (not holding my breath). We need better personnel to run the 3-4 and more help on the Oline...the defense stinks and I believe we should draft defense with the first pick. Games are won in the trenches and both lines on this team need much improvement especially the defense. We have play makers/game changers on offense already. I don't really see the logic in drafting McFadden.

#75 rillo, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007

16. People need to stop living in Madden world.

For one, we arent gonna become SB contenders through one offseason. Signing 2 free agents and taking acouple linemen in the early rounds is not gonna solve everything long term.Yes the defense and both lines are currently our biggest needs...but that doesnt mean you go out and simply fill needs and assume everything will be better. Maybe for a team farther along than us..but not w/ this current state.

The only players on this team who are not deceptable to us upgrading are Brick, Mangold, Rhodes and Harris. Everyone else can stand to be upgraded. Face the facts that we are a rebuilding team. When you are a rebuilding team, and you have an early pick..you take the BPA!

This has little or nothing to do w/ Adrian Peterson and has little to do w/ the potential OL for next year. You don't draft players for one year.

The fact is, McFadden may very well be the BPA when we select in round 1, he's a rare RB prospect and would absolutely upgrade the talent level of our team. You don't pass on guys like that.

No one says you cant build an OL AROUND Mcfadden.

17. rillo

rillo New Member

Not only that....Vikes have a huge Oline and invested alot of money into it, thats the way you win in football, everything starts and ends in the trenches. To many holes to fill on this team to draft a RB.

18. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Same people who wanted Reggie Bush and then earlier this year bashed him.

19. So you're telling me the following...

1. T Jones and Washington can not stand to be upgraded

2. We are in a position as a franchise to pass on the BPA approach to drafting

3. There are no capable linemen available in this draft after round 1

4. McFadden would not add a sorely needed big play element to our offense

If you can somehow convince me of all of these points...I'm all for us reaching for a defender w/ our top 3 pick, w/ an elite RB prospect still on the board.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

The Vikings Had Chester Taylor to run behind that line as well. What did the Viking do in the draft. They took the Best player available. Look how that turned out!