Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No one is going to be "raving" about anybody next year...at least not as much as they are about McFadden.

Who's coming out? CJ Spiller? That guy won't be a franchise running back...EVER. There isn't going to be that franchise back in next year's draft, maybe some great receivers, but not a running back, not a Darren McFadden.

2. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people are missing out on the fact that this draft class has little elite talent, but a lot of first-round talents. There are around 36 to 40 first-rounders in this draft, and there are only 31 picks in the first round. If we take McFadden, we can get a high quality player at the top of the second (think of it as a low first round pick). Then, if we trade Vilma for a 2nd round pick (I'm not sure whats being said about his knee) we could get another quality player in the 2nd. Now take into consideration that this draft has great depth at the OT position: a high third round draft pick could get us a solid right tackle. A couple free agents signings at guard and D-line, and suddenly, taking McFadden seems like a good idea.

3. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

And for those saying that running back isn't a need: it will be a need in 1 or 2 years. Taking an elite player at rb will serve a need down the road. Say we take McFadden this year, and an elite defensive player next year (assuming we have a top ten pick again next year). Thats 2 elite picks in two years that fill needs, instead of reaching for 2 "need" picks (assuming we reach for a non-elite running back next year).

4. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Do yourselves a favor and visit the forums of the 6 teams that passed on Adrian Peterson last year to see what all those fans are saying...that will be us in a year if we pass on McFadden.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

and...there's nothing wrong with running the ball with two backs. Darren McFadden and Thomas Jones would pound teams to death. Leon Washington isn't fit for the running back role. He's a great return man now, and he can also contribute on 3rd downs. He'll never be a 20+ carry back.

6. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Draft McFadden. Trade up and draft Okam. I'm only half serious.

7. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

i agree with drafting mcfadden if we keep the pick, because i am a bpa guy

i just thing we should trade out if there is a decent deal to be had

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Nobody was ever raving about Johnson or Gore. Gore didn't even go until the 3rd round I don't think.

You've had Peterson, Reggie Bush, LT in recent years. That's really it when it comes to the "can't miss" RBs lately if I'm not mistaken. If he's as good as any of them, I'll take it (yes, even Reggie Bush, who seems to be getting better every week).

9. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

No RB would pound anything to death behind the line we have. We have WAY to many glarying NEEDS to think about blowing top draft pics on skill positions which may or MAY NOT work out in the long run. Give me a break people. A team who wants years and years of eventual success builds from the draft with young talent. That said the first thing a team needs to be successfull year in and year out is a solid Oline and a solid Dline. Without that it doesnt matter who your RB is. You all know this. None of you are without football knowledge. Our oline creates 0 push. In fact they get knocked backwards most of the time. That is the first thing that needs to be addressed along with the pash rush.

I want our new QB to have time to make a sandwich back there and I want teams to have to game plan for our rushing attack and worry about trying to somehow run the ball against us. With a solid line on both sides, our skill posision players will shine. Then one draft year we trade up for that special player everyone wants.

Saying this Mcfadden guy the best prospect ever is just rediculous. No one knows for sure what he will be in the NFL. And if you think Bender and some patchwork vet trades will do the trick then you have not learned your lesson after watching Chad and Vinny get severely injured behind a very poorus line.

10. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I would be ecstatic if we drafted McFadden.. even though we clearly have bigger needs.

To whoever compared Reggie Bush to McFadden.. No disrespect to Reggie Bush; he's good, but he was (and still is) completely overrated. Comparing McFadden to Bush is like comparing a draft horse w/ a pack mule.

11. MikeSLTJ23

You said it there yourself. "A team who wants years and years of eventual success builds from the draft with young talent." That statement proves several things. We're in rebuilding mode and are most likely not going to compete next year (we could, but doubtful). So while the lines are a major issue for us at the moment, is drafting a RT or a NT next year going to solve all of our problems? No, it won't. We'll still have holes. And just like you said, he might or might not work out, so why would a RT definitely work out but not McFadden? I agree that you need to win games in the trenches, but you have a great talent in McFadden that you can't pass up. There's 7 rounds of the draft, so why does everyone think that picking McFadden is neglecting all of our need positions? We have a lot of time to grab some more players and some more depth at other positions, and can still grab a fantastic talent that will instantly elevate the talent level on this team. You draft best player available when your team is doing this badly.

12. MikeSLTJ23

Ha, that'd be me. McFadden is a better prospect than Bush. He is overrated because I'm not so sure his game suits the NFL really all that well. He was an elite talent in college, and that's what people expected in the NFL. He's gone through some growing pains but I think the worst is behind him. He's going to be a very good productive back in this league. He shows flashes of brilliance (and flashes of regression). He changes the way a defense has to play. Honestly, if McFadden pans out as well as Bush (I really do expect him to be better, on the LT and Peterson level), I'll be pretty happy with him still.

13. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I should have clarified. What you're saying makes sense, I was referring to

14. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

cab we get steve hutchinson for mcfadden to run behind?

15. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

We can get Faneca, who's almost as good.

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

This team badly needs an offensive playmaker----Be it a WR or a RB. They have no game breakers or game dominators. With a super high draft pick think offense.

17. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

It's a pretty safe bet that McFadden and Dorsey are going 1 - 2 so we might not have a shot at either.

God, McFadden would look great in a Jets uni though.

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yes, McFadden sure would look great. It is good to dream as this has been a tough year. Who knows. yIf we are in the #3 or #4 spot, I like our chances of getting him, but you never know. How many times in the Jets past has the fully basted prime rib aus jus been served up on a silver platter only for us to order pizza?

19. rillo

rillo New Member

Because we don't need him.....

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Hey, at least we're not talking about taking Olsen, the TE, anymore...