Reasonable Off-season moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JCotchrocket, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

This team is a lot closer to the top than this season has suggested. I think these moves turn us into contenders:

1) Sign Faneca. Bender takes over for Clement. O-line is now complete.

2) Draft Darren McFadden with the top pick. The offense is now devastating.

3) Spend the rest of the draft on defense. Variety of fat guys, a couple hard-hitters for the secondary and linebackers. Our front office finds good talent in middle rounds and we have the picks and trade bait to maneuver. (They can move McCareins, Pennington, Vilma and Dyson) We'll call the defense "improved" at this point.

And that's it! No monster trades or complications. No firings. No system changes. Our offense and Special Teams will be good enough to rest our skinny, young defense and let them develop.

Go Jets!

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Go play Madden 2008...you can do Superstar mode with Jacob Bender. That's probably the only way our o-line will be complete with him starting at tackle.

I hope the kid turns out to be a player, but don't get to far ahead of yourself.

Darren McFadden wouldn't make our offense "devastating" right away. He'd make it a lot better, but we have an aging number one wideout and a solid possession receiver at number two. Clemens looks like he's the real deal, but one running back, not matter how talented he is, makes an offense devastating. We'd still need some more weapons. Someone with some speed perhaps.

...and if Bob Sutton doesn't get fired after the job he's done so far, I'd be very suprised.

#2 Mr Electric, Nov 8, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  3. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I really like wide receiver D.J. Hall from Alabama to fill the speed department. But I see WR on Day 1 as a tough sell to fans.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

That pick would probably get boo'd, but they wouldn't boo him later on in the season, when our offense can finally stretch the field because we'll have 1. a QB that can actually throw and 2. a receiver that can get open deep. (i'll probably get bashed by all of the guys that think Coles is still 25 years old)

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well Electric, if you get bashed those people are idiots. but Coles is what 28 now? going to be 29 before next season starts. He will be fine. Coles can go deep, in fact he did it in Cincinati, and if CP had arm would have done it more than just the once as well. Besides having more than one deep threat is allowed you know....

6. Tight

Tight Active Member

I hear you but when did 30 years old become end for a player.. They say most players are in thier prime @ 32 years young.. So ? I dunno I use to think like that also, but thier are alot of older guys who are still very effective and are older then 30 ... If he can still play ball ( which he can) and hes not turning 40 in a few days then whats the problem really ?

believe me coles is still Very Fast, and with kellen now you'll see how fast he is...

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Coles has been taking beating after beating though...he's never sat out until just recently with the concussion, but I just think his body is going to wear down sooner than most just because of the punishment that he takes.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

It would be nice if our offense opens things up as the season winds down...then we'll actually see if Coles can be our mini-Joey Galloway.

9. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

No FA wants to sign with a team that just completely de-railed being lead by a coach in his lame duck third year.

if we want to even think about having a good offseason - we better end strong.

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

That is a great offseason...and possible except for Faneca-I don't think he's a...................................................................................Mangini guy.

He seems more in the mold of a Pete Mawae, or Kevin Kendall, or one of THOSE guys.

11. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

You mean a good player?

12. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

he's good, but we know how the jets deal with outspoken locker room vets....

That being I'm shocked by those folks who think we'll land Mcfadden; we're the jets people....players like that just don't fall in our laps. We'll end up winning like 2 more games and by that time all we can hope for us the Chris Long is the real deal.

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Electric-

The great thing about running backs is that they've got the shortest learning curve out of any position in the NFL. That's the reason Adrian Peterson is the best running back in football right now. If you watch Razorback football this year, especially last week, you've got to know that McFadden is better. Bigger, faster, better.

Peterson is dominating with Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger behind center. He's got no wide-out help whatsoever. I expect Kellen to be at least slightly better than Jackson (at the very least!) and I'm pretty sure we've got a modicum of talent in our wide receiving core. McFadden and a nasty guard make us great on offense.

14. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

we cant draft mcfadden with what we invested in jones and washington. The jets HAVE to go defense in the draft and defense alone. They need to improve the d-Line. I think that the jets should trade down and get cris long and frank okam. Those two would dramatically improve the o-line. Then, i think they should draft shawn crable from michigan in round two if he falls there. He's a rusher who has played in the 3-4 (with david harris) at michigan. He could be a big addition and help the pass rush. In the offseason, i think the jets will get asante samuel.

15. Coltsfan18

Coltsfan18 New Member

I think the Jets should make Bill Cowher an offer he can't refuse.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

?

A "variety" of fat guys?

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He's not 25 years old anymore, but that affects him more in the 'taking hits' department than in the speed department.... He's shown time and time again that he can stretch a D... The only issue is that Pennington rarely could get the ball to him...

That being said, the concussions are already starting to pile up.... We're going to need to bring in his replacement soon enough, but I don't think spending anything higher than a 4th on a WR this season is wise....

Early round WRs can often come in and be effective in their rookie seasons, so I don't mind going another year with the current roster of WRs (which is pretty good, apart from last Sunday's drops) and then drafting a guy after next season, if Coles seems to slow down...

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yeah by that time we draft the Pats will have already drafted McFadden thanks to the incompatence of the 49ers.

BTW has the NFL said which of he Pats picks they will take away? They should punish these cheaters by taking away the highest. Not much of a punishment if they are drafting in the top 5.

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the NFL has already said that they will take away the Pats actual pick...most likely #32...but look at the bright side: at least we'll get first round talent with our pick at #33:smile:

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Vikings have some pretty good young receivers actually...Sidney Rice and the "bust" Troy Williamson. Two players do not make an offense. I want McFadden also, read other threads instead of your own and you'll see that I'm one of the guys pulling the hardest for McFadden. I just think you're getting way to ahead of yourself by saying we'll have a dominant offense. The Vikings have an entire offensive line built to run behind, if we bring in Faneca, will have 3 offensive lineman to run behind, the other two will just be street trash, unless Bender steps it up. I don't want to see Adrian Clarke ever again.