Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I know there are a lot of people who really feel Mcfadden is the guy we have to take because he can potentially have the same impact that Adrian Peterson has had in Minnesota.

But the main reason we shouldn't draft McFadden is that we can take that pick to get multiple 1st round picks and rebuild the D-Line. Currently I think the Jets could be as high as 3rd overall. I don't see the Rams or Dolphins taking McFadden since those teams really REALLY need help on the O-Line and D-line. I see the dolphins taking Jake Long and the Rams taking Glenn Dorsey. This leaves the Jets.

At 3rd overall it looks like Mcfadden is the best value here since there is really no other guy who seems like he is worth the 3rd pick. This means Jerry Jones is going to call the Jets. The cowboys have their own pick and the browns pick. i think the Jets should do what the Saints tried to do with Reggie Bush and really get a team i.e. the cowboys to give up a ton to move up.

If this team is offered both 1st round picks and a 2nd from the Cowboys I think the Jets trade out of the 3rd pick. They have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. I say the Jets use the higher 1st round pick and other picks (possibly a 2nd) to move up and get Chris Long. Even though this guy doesn't have ideal size now, he has room to grow and has played in the 3-4. We then use the other 1st round pick on Frank Okam. This guy is from Texas and Texas has produced Casey Hampton and Shaun Rodgers who are awesome NTs. Then with the final 2nd assuming the 2nd from the cowboys or our own was used to move up, the Jets either get a pass rusher like Shawn Crable or a big time O-lineman.

Boom! the d-line has been rebuilt and is set for 10+years and the Jets potentially get a pass rusher or reinforce the O-line. Combine all this with Asante Samuel (who I definitely beleive will be a Jet considering Dyson has been in Mangini's doghouse and Samuel and Mangini know each other) and this team can take huge strides.

Let the debating begin!

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'll take wrong forums for $400, Alex....

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No way we're going to trade down to just trade up again. There's way too much risk involved there, and you'll just end up giving up more than you want to to move back up.

Here's why you don't pass on McFadden. We have a lot of picks in this year's draft. There's plenty of defensive linemen in the draft, leaving plenty for rounds 2-7 (realistically, you can get good starters out of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks). What you're proposing is this. We pass on a great player who's projected to be one of the best RBs in the league if not the best to get a few picks, but then trade picks to move up again. Now we're taking Chris Long who obviously is undersized and not big enough for the NFL 3-4. Now you're saying he has a lot of room to grow, but does he? We (a) don't know that, and (b) can't use a pick that high on a guy with uncertainties in our system. If we draft McFadden, we now have a franchise RB (regardless of what other RBs are already on the roster). We still have a lot of other picks to use on the DL, the OL, the LBs...whatever we need. One pick is one pick, but we MUST take the BPA for the first several rounds. We're not in a position to draft based on need b/c the needs are too many and the talent level is too low on this team.

4. rillo

rillo New Member

:rofl: :rofl:

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

McFadden is a luxury pick for us at this point, something we don't have the luxury of doing. Look at what happened when we let our other pressing needs go int he past draft and what happened to us this season. We should stick to rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines and our LB corps for now. Of course this can change depending on free agency but as it stands now he shouldn't be on our radar short of a draft day trade agreement.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think as long as we make a serious commitment to the FA market and land some key line players before the draft, we then go after McFadden if he is available. If he is not available then we weigh out other options.

Call me old fashion, but I think a great runner and the abiltity to crack off long gainers is probably the most exciting aspect of football. I even take that over the bomb. To me, having McFadden as a Jet spells excitement, which I think is sorely needed on this team. Plus, with the NY weather, having a great runner for at least the second half of any season is essential to long term success.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The only thing I really think we let slide was the NT and possibly Kendall; I think the CS had a strong opinion that everything else was quite servicable.

Now, I think everyone knows better because we learned it the hard way.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

There is no excuse for not drafting a game changing player if he is available when we pick. Even if we have to leave him on the bench until our line gels! We can find linemen well into the 5th round! A game changing player comes around every 5 years and we seem to never get them!

9. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Adrian Peterson is a success in Minnesota because he has wide open running lanes to showcase his talent. When we get a left side of the offensive line like McKinnie-Hutchinson-Birk, I say sure, bring in a McFadden type.

10. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Anyone know how the draft depth is regarding Dlinemen and Olineman this year? I havent beeing watching all that close, but I think I might start very soon lol. Who are the prospects that we should all look at as potential Jets oline and dline drafts?

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

We may have to grab the chicken before the egg this go around.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Then how come Chester Taylor didn't look like the MVP of the league last year? AP is the success he is because he is immensely talented..

13. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Taylor was a mediocre back with a good line, and he had a curtis martinesque season to show for it. AP is obviously a superior back, but I just don't think he would have that kind of success in NY.

Would he be better than Thomas Jones? Probably.
    Would he have 1000yds through week 8? No way.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I really think it is a rare combination of size, speed, and moves. AP really fits the prototypical mold of what team's are looking for.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

GOOD STUFF!

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

We're not drafting McFadden.

We'll be in position too, though. But we trade to Dallas.

Three reasons why:

1) Great rapport between front offices. (Look at all the mutual players.)

2) Jerry has been making it known for over a year that he desperately wants McFadden. Jerry gets what Jerry wants.

3) After the shalacking the 'Boys get in the Super Bowl from a certain team, the Jets and the Cowboys are going to have a common enemy.

I say we're getting the Browns pick (18) the Boys pick (31) a third rounder this year and a third rounder next year. Jerry gets his workhouse, Jets rebuild. It's a win-win.

17. Lemme ask you this...

Is there a potential 3-4 D-lineman who we simply cant pass on, in this draft?Imo there is not. Chris Long is a good player but there are questions regarding him and he's not a once in a decade type player.

Darren mcFadden is a RARE RB prospect. IMO We can stand to upgrade every position on the team w/ the exception of LT, C and FS. When you're a team picking in the top 5...you don't pass on a truly ELITE prospect who would indeed HELP the team improve.

18. nvot9

nvot9 New Member

Here's why we DO pass on McFadden:

1) We'll start with the RB position, as that's what McFadden plays. ONE season removed of our FO making a great move to pick up Thomas Jones, and we're already looking to bag him...glad to see we all as Jets fans have patience. Jones is not a great back, but a solid back, and combined with Leon Washington (who needs more touches btw) we can have a very good running game. I think it's safe to say, that we can attribute Jone's lacking performance this year to our abysmal run blocking and horrendous offensive play calling (such as disguising our plays and when/who we'll run the ball (with)), not to mention teams could stack 8 players in the box against Chad. Now, Thomas Jones is absolutely not an elite running back or the face of this franchise by any means, but I think he's got one more year to maybe prove that he is. I think Adrian Peterson's wide-scale success is a great story, but it's poisoning to many draft fans minds'. It's making everyone believe that McFadden is better than he really is. He's a top talent, no doubt about it, he can be something special, but he's not exactly the unmissable talent Reggie Bush was, and I don't necessarily think he's as good a prospect as AP was last year either. My final consensus, we give Jones and Leon one more year together, hopefully with a rebuilt OL and a new OC, and if he still fails, then next year we can consider an RB (the talent in next year's draft at RB will far surpass an talent of this year's RB pool).

2) The Jets, a team that has so many needs to fill, cannot afford to invest so much, into something, that frankly, isn't really even a need. With teams with multiple picks (such as the Cowboys with two first rounders) needing an RB so badly, it would make so much more sense to trade the one pick, and pick up 2, maybe 3 more picks to fill needs. This way we can build from the inside out, that's the key to winning championships. Once we establish our OL and DL (and our pass rush) THEN we'll be ready to expand outwards, taking skilled position players such as RB, WR etc.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe we can trade our 3rd overall to NE for 4 or 5 of their first round pics.

20. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

The only way I can justify passing on McFadden is if Dorsey is there when we pick or some team pays through the ass to get our pick. Detriot clearly had huge holes on defense before last years draft yet still took CJ becuase even Millen knows that you cannot pass on once in a lifetime talent. Put McFadden on our team right now, and even with the crappy O and D lines i say we have at least 3 more wins.