Mike Tannenbaum is happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ny2dave, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I've seen a lot of people posting go back to the 4-3, and a lot of people saying that the team would be just as bad in it as they are in the 3-4.

I've seen a lot of people post that Sutton should be fired, and that the FO blew it by not only letting kendall go, but allowing it to be a major distraction in tc.

i've seen people post that they would have preferred drafting Ngata, and a lot of people here posting that brick wasnt worth the 4th overall pick.

I've also seen some people discount anything negative said about the team, even though they are mired in a horrible season.

What concerns me most isnt "the plan". though they have stepped in holes along the way, I understand there is a plan.

What concerns me is that the coaching, halftime adjustments and gameplanning is subpar imo. So even if they get good players in here next year, I want to see the CS put them in the position to win- something it hasnt done well this year.

I know every team gets new players each year, and i think their drafting has been good. but if the CS really is a one year wonder, and has already been figured out by opposing CS, i dont see greatness on the horizon if they continue to get outcoached.

I know they will bring players in here. i want to see a MUCH better job of coaching them up, and not blame execution and talent every year. I mentioned jauron as an example of a HC who has done more with what he's got than this CS has.

91-38. That stat will be unchanged for the next ten days. And it has a lot to do with coaching.

2. since83

since83 Member

I totally agree. Every person we drafted has made an impact except stucky (very good but injured) and bender (inactive, i beleive being groomed). leon, smith, kellen, brick, mangold, jherico's still young, chris baker, revis, harris, elam, we are going to have some major talent. we've been exposed but in a positive way. I by no means enjoy these loses. but i have seen some decent showings in the loses. there will be some changes. i'm washing this season up to just watching players develop.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Gabe Watson from Michigan now starting for Az. He was there is round 3 of the 06 draft and we took Schlegel and Smith. Arizona then took Watson in round 4 (he's better than Dwayne ($60M) "Rob the jets").

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Gabe Watson is garbage. Just because someone is starting doesn't make them good.

5. Gabe Watson had major character issues in college, and frankly is NOT playing 3-4 NT..He's playing 4-3 NT(There's a big difference). From what i remember seeing of him...he clearly did not have the wide base or strength at the POA to play the middle of a 3-4.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The Jets are also NO WORSE, than 4-4, without the high ankle sprain to Pennington in Week one....

Crappy QB play also counts, and its fairly easy to go back and pick out 8 plays on the QB that resulted in being where they are now.

7. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

What do you think the organization should do at this point??

8. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Even more scary thought for you. One of the local writers up here speculated that (and this is when Mangini was first hired) Mangini would be a disaster for the Jets, but that he would learn from the experience and become a good coach somewhere else.

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Good points and I hope you're right. The only thing I might disagree with is the talent level. I think we have some good players. We better than 1-8. And this gets me worried about the quality of the Coaching.

10. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I ain't gonna lie, I'd love to see Bill Cowher in here. I've heard that he wants to coach somewhere down South and closer to his home though.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think they should go make Cowher an offer he can't refuse.

He's not beat up the way Parcells was when we got him and he's also not a ship jumper the way Parcells is.

You want a 10 year regime for the Jets? Go get a guy who has been part of that and is still young enough to fulfill it.

It'd take a hell of an offer though.

12. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I am all for dumping the ballboy for Cowher.

13. Br4d

Yeah but crappy QB play doesn't allow 152 yards a game on the ground and produce only 95 yards of rushing offense. That's why the Jets are terrible right now. They literally cannot stop the run and they can be shut down at will by any competent opposing defense.

This Jets team would not have more than 4 wins right now (losses to New England, Baltimore, Giants and one of the Buffalo games) based solely on how mismatched they are at the line of scrimmage.

The crappy QB play is why they are 1-8 instead of 4-5.

14. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

This is a crazy idea, but what about Shanahan. I think they are going to end up very bad the rest of the year and there could be a chance that he would leave. He definately needs a change of scenary.

15. Br4d

Bringing in a 4-3 head coach just sets us back again as the few pieces the Jets have assembled for the 3-4 (Harris and Thomas) become worth a lot less.

You'd get D-Rob back, but history tells us that he needs a good NT next to him in the 4-3 to make an impact. You'd get Vilma back, but truth be told a sweeper MLB is not a dominant player in a 4-3, just a good component.

What the Jets need right now is to continue to build the 3-4 with oversight that really understands how a 3-4 works. Mangini's stubborn insistence that D-Rob can play NT is enough evidence for me that he really does not understand how the 3-4 works.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

People might say we're impatient, but I agree. I just hate it when we suck. I look forward to the seaon all summer and it just sucks when its over in October. I don't need a Super Bowl every year, but I'd like to have a respectable team, one that is competative and fun to watch on Sunday.

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

OK but how long was Cowher a coach in Pitts before they won a superbowl? How long was he with the team?

Here's the record:

2006 Pittsburgh Steelers .500
    2005 Pittsburgh Steelers .688
    2004 Pittsburgh Steelers .938
    2003 Pittsburgh Steelers .375
    2002 Pittsburgh Steelers .656
    2001 Pittsburgh Steelers .813
    2000 Pittsburgh Steelers .563
    1999 Pittsburgh Steelers .375
    1998 Pittsburgh Steelers .438
    1997 Pittsburgh Steelers .688
    1996 Pittsburgh Steelers .625
    1995 Pittsburgh Steelers .688
    1994 Pittsburgh Steelers .750
    1993 Pittsburgh Steelers .563
    1992 Pittsburgh Steelers .688

CAREER 15 years 240 games .623

So far in 1.5 seasons EM has a .440 record. If you exclude this year because its not even over - it's .625

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Give him time. It'll be OK.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Oh and BB's career record is .597

So lets not get carried away with switching coaches everytime things go south.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Where else are we gonna find a HC that has the insight to make his star LB have knee surgery so his trade value won't decrease?